Hornady ELD

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Dunderi
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22-250

Hornady ELD

Post by Dunderi »

Does this look right to y'all?Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Hornady ELD

Post by trevort »

Dunderi wrote:Does this look right to y'all?Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No. But mags zine length may force him to seat them that deep. Then you lose powder capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

If you want to run the heavier projectiles you really need a longer mag and increase the chamber throat length so you can hang them out a fair way and don’t lose case capacity as Trev said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

What is the OAL?

SAAMI says .223 Rem should be within 2.125in - 2.260 inches.

Then you have to factor in what will fit your magazine, chamber, and related seating depth for that type of projectile.

I've not used ELDs but would suggest you figure out what seating depth you can use in your rifle.

Going by your pics the projectile is seated very deep, probably with little contacting the neck. That could be bad...

My only advice is to ask the experts here with a lot more experience than I have. :?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Those pills are for long range shooting. Is that what he is trying to do? High bc so lower wind deflection and the trajectory not so important as ranges are known. Is that what he bought them for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

The Raven wrote:What is the OAL?

Then you have to factor in what will fit your magazine, chamber, and related seating depth for that type of projectile.

I've not used ELDs but would suggest you figure out what seating depth you can use in your rifle.

Going by your pics the projectile is seated very deep, probably with little contacting the neck. That could be bad...

My only advice is to ask the experts here with a lot more experience than I have. :?
Is that just a long winded way of saying you did a good job asking?

Now that i have made the effort to comment, my questions would be when you originally set up your die how did you choose your seating depth and did you simply just leave it set the same to load these pills?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Flash Gordon
.22 WMR

Post by Flash Gordon »

I have shot various 80 grain bullets out of a few 223 barrels,you need a throat long enough so that when the bullet is seated,the bullet boatail junction should be forward of the case neck shoulder junction. Around 25 grains of powder is needed to get suitable results.
Flash Gordon
.22 WMR

Post by Flash Gordon »

Flash Gordon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:55 pm I have shot various 80 grain bullets out of a few 223 barrels,you need a throat long enough so that when the bullet is seated,the bullet boatail junction should be forward of the case neck shoulder junction. Around 25 grains of powder is needed to get suitable results.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

DSD wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:42 pm
The Raven wrote:What is the OAL?

Is that just a long winded way of saying you did a good job asking?

Now that i have made the effort to comment, my questions would be when you originally set up your die how did you choose your seating depth and did you simply just leave it set the same to load these pills?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
[/quot

Yep Scott Neville I would ask the same question
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

If it is just target shooting at the range don't bother seating to a depth to fit the magazine well, as you will likely be required to single load anyway.

I agree it looks WAY too deep. How far out you can load will depend on the throat as others have said. Seat too far out and you will, at best, leave a projectile stuck in the lands and powder through your action if you chamber and then decide to extract a live round. At worst you could decide to fire the chambered round and do some serious damage to your rifle and yourself from overpressure.

Working out seating depth to suit your rifle is the key. There are a variety of ways to do this, some rough and ready, some quite sophisticated. I haven't progressed beyond rough and ready :lol:

I use the split case method - find a sacrificial empty case (making sure it has been FLS and is within trim length specs) carefully use a hacksaw to cut 4 longitudinal slits in the neck towards, but not all the way to, the neck/shoulder junction. Clean up the cut edges with a fine file and/or sandpaper to get rid of all burrs.

To use I just seat my projectile of interest by hand into the neck but seated well out. Load into the chamber and close the bolt, then CAREFULLY unload making sure not to knock the projectile. Measure OAL with calipers. Repeat 5-6 times. This gives a good approximation of jam length, and I tend to load to an OAL just short of this.

The idea is that when chambered the projectile inserts into the throat until it is stopped by the lands, and as you close the bolt it pushes back in the neck of your split case.

You can also get a jam length OAL approximation by using a cleaning rod inserted from the muzzle to measure the length from bolt face to muzzle, and then from the front of a jammed projectile to muzzle (you need to drop the projie in from the cmaber end then have something behind it to keep it lightly jammed while you measure). The difference in the measurements is the jam length OAL.

Whatever way you use it should help provide better results for these ELDs, but you might find that fiddling a round with seating depth on your other loads might tighten up their grouping too.

Marcus
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Keachie, this is from Bill Hambly-Clark Jnr’s book “Centrefire Rifle Accuracy”:

Marcus
Keachie
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Keachie »

So when i loaded this round i slow stepped the projectile in until i got the saami recommended 2.260

Saami max load for this with Bm2 is 23.5gr
I loaded a test round with 23gr and it wasn't compressing the powder.

I know from my last load work up with 55 vmax i am on the lands at 2.274ish.

And these will just be max range target rounds, also our club has no single round load and fire rule

Sent from my 7048S using Tapatalk

kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

First off, fuck sammi.

You need to get the pill touching the lands in your rifle, then adjust from there.

As for powder choice, I’d be finding one that filled the case and adjust from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Glen you sure are correct, saami data is only good for use as a rough guide, in this case of cartridge OAL it is only good while you use the exact same components as was used when Saami data was collected. Let your chamber decide what your OAL will be, second is your magazine length, if thats not long enough to use the max length of your chamber, get it lengthened. :D
Keachie
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Keachie »

Lmao

As im still learning I try to keep some wise words for our resident orish man which was something along the lines of "you are making mini pipebombs and setting em off next to you head"

Sent from my 7048S using Tapatalk