Reloading 101 Started by Branxhunter

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Reloading 101 Started by Branxhunter

Post by MISSED »

I believe this post is worthy of it`s own thread by Branxhunter does anyone have something to add ?

Trev, completely agree when you reach max listed charge in the smaller cases that half a grain is too large an increment. The pet load for most of my rifles - and the load development I have done for others - have been found by using half grain increments up to the max listed charge.

How far past the max listed charge weight do I go? Well it depends on a whole host of factors that, as a far more experienced loader than me, I know you are aware of.

On the technical side, it depends on the cartridge - as you rightly indicate the safe window is far narrower for smaller volume cases than larger ones. It depends on brass make - some brass will digest heavier loads than others. It depends on the chamber, throat and barrel in the particular rifle - those on the slightly larger side might digest slightly heavier loads compared to a tight chamber/barrel of longer throat. It depends on powder lots - there can be some variation in burn rate in a particular powder across different lots.

On the more personal preference side it depends on the rifle, it's use, and the performance I can get with loads up to and at max listed charge weight. In one of my heavy barrel jobs that have good triggers and glass that are used over a steady rest to target furries at long range I might want to chase that extra quarter inch in accuracy or extra fps in velocity by loading a little over the max listed charge weight. In one of my sporter weight rifles predominately used for walking and fox whistling etc the ranges are generally shorter and rests generally less steady so I don't see the point. I also don't see the point of trying to chase max velocity in a smaller case that puts it right at the upper limit when I can just grab the .22-250 instead.

The other personal consideration comes down to reloading knowledge and experience. I was reloading for 5-6 years before I started to investigate loads above max listed charge weights. This was primarily because up until then there was no real need to as my rifles and loads did want I wanted them to. It was more academic interest than need that got me starting to look a bit closer at a couple of rifles and loads. But what all this meant was that by the time I started to experiment with loading above max listed charge weights I had developed and refined my knowledge of all the factors to consider and the signs to watch for, and had refined my case prep and loading techniques and consistency. I personally wouldn't recommend loading above max listed charge weights to someone until they had been reloading for 2-3 years and have devloped a good understanding of reloading and how their rifles and loads perform, and have eliminated all other variables that might be contributing to their loads not performing at the level they desire.

Marcus
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Reloading 101 Started by Branxhunter

Post by Camel »

One of the most important things a new re-loader needs to understand, is that ALL loading manuals are a GUIDE only. I dare say that there would be exactly ZERO re-loaders who have available the same gear, i.e. actions, barrels and so forth, that they do at the testing facility.
The old adage that what is minimum or maximum in one rifle, will probably not be so in another rifle, rings true. Its the same thing with factory rifles, even though two exact same rifles came from the same factory on the same day, each will be a law unto itself.
I have found over the years that a lot of very experienced re-loaders, as well as new starters, are shocked that you can quite often go above what is written in these manuals with absolute safety.

Don't be scared to experiment and push the limits listed, but for god sake, just do it safely. :D