Reducing 222rem necks to .204??

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Jethro
.17 HMR

Reducing 222rem necks to .204??

Post by Jethro »

G, Day All
As part of my 20cal Tikka 55 Project I need to reduce the neck on 222-rem brass to .204cal. This is my first attempt at forming cases that a standard die is not available for. I’ve had a bit of a look around on the net but have not been able to find a form die set that will reduce the neck to take a twenty cal bullet. The chamber on the rifle will basically be a .204 ruger chamber finished 200thou short. This will also mean that the outside neck diameter on the cartridge will only need to be reduced to approx 231thou for part of its length as the 204 ruger neck is 100thou shorter. In theory this should give me a nice false shoulder to headspace on for fire forming.
I’m wondering if I can use a Redding type S die in 222rem with a series of bushings to reduce the neck to the required dimensions? I’ve not used Redding S type dies before so I’m not familiar with the sleeve or how to adjust for a partial neck size only. Any pointers on case forming would be a real help. When I get the case forming done I will also need to purchase a 204 ruger die set and get the gunsmith to shorten it 200 thou to suit the cases. Any recommendations on brand or style of die would be a help.
Oh yeah, A name for this case if it works would be helpful too. :?
Thanks in advance
Jethro again :wink:
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

RCBS form die set for the 17 MK4 has a preliminary form die
I think the number is #69
Ask Trevort he has the die set now.

I used this form die to take 223 brass down to 20 cal in one pass with a bit of lanolin lube.

I even used this die to push the 223 shoulders back to 222 and then 221 FB shoulder length.

the form die will enable you to push only as much of the neck of the 222 case in as far as you want to.

Later
p
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Jethro,

Go to this link http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek061.html

It has all the information about the dies for necking done to 20 cal.

Glenn
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Ogre beat me too it on the form die.

You can do it with redding bushing dies also. First thought would be to buy a 222 fl bushing die (or even just the neck die) and use it with a 20 cal bushing, you got the right case length. Theres a mob advertising in PS that sell a die blank for a bushing neck die that your smith reams with your chamber reamer so easy to get a custom die.

right instead of giving you theories i put a 20 cal bushing in my 223 redding comp neck die and sized down a 223 case to 20 cal in one operation and the competition seater seated the 20 cal pill no probs. redding comp dies in 222 might be the go. The micrometer top on the sizer will let you determine how far down to size the neck
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Good Question Jethro

I have been thinking about turning my 222rimmed martini into a 20/222rimmed and haven't found much elsewhere. Sounds pretty straight forward.. Although while its with the smith I was thinking of getting a rimless extractor conversion done as well so I am not stuck with the rimmed cases.

Anyway good to know the neck sizing is straight forward.
Ryan
Cranky Bugga

Post by Cranky Bugga »

hey Jethro, where are you in N.E. Vic. I did it with shortened 204Ruger dies.I used cheap arsed Lee dies as they are easy to trim to length. You may be able to use the seater die as a first form die and then do a full length size. That way you do not need to buy form dies. If you have the 222 brass contact me and bring it around and stuff it in my dies-see how it goes.
Name? FIIK? 204short?

Dont need to do rimless extractor on martini if you use 357 max cases to form your 204 short rimmed

357max, 20max, 17max.

Shane should be finishing my 20max(204short rimmed) right now

Cheers
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

Trevor, Pat, Glenn, Ryan & Cranky thanks for the replies fellas, thats brilliant. I've now got plenty of options. I purchased a hundred win 222 cases today at LGS and had a look at lee collet dies at other LGS.
Cranky I might take you up on the offer to run a few cases through your dies before I commit to a certain type/brand/system.
Im in the Kiewa Valley.
Trev, Ogre, what sort of press do you guys use for case forming? I only have a RCBS partner press. Might be a bit light.
Trev what is the bushing size you used to neck from 223 to 204?
Should I purchase a small base 204rug die and have it modified/ shortened for FL sizing when required after fireforming or get the smith to cut a custom one with the reamer?
Cranky, Nice work on the max series. Hmmm that gives me an idea I'll have a spare 17 cal tube off the donor rifle. and a martini action set up for 357mag ( If I ever get it back from shane :roll: ). Hmmm. :o
Best learn to crawl before walking perhaps.

Jethro again :wink: .
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Ahaaaaa Now I know who has given Shane too much Martini work between the both of ya, scared him off :P

Sounds good gents
Cranky Bugga

Post by Cranky Bugga »

Jethro, you use a shortened cheap Lee 204 FLS die as your form and full length die. For reloading just use the Redding necking die with appropriate bushing to neck size, no need to buy additional bushings for forming. I have RCBS partner press as well as Redding big boss, next time you are in town spending up at Elks you are welcome to come and run a few cases through them. You dont need that 17 take off barrel, give it to me so I can doing something weird like 17x40 jet on 357mag cases :lol:

Best way to learn to swim is jump in the deep end.

maybe we should gang up on Shane and hurry him up on our Martinis :twisted:

Cheers
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

i used a 228 bushing which was the biggest 20 cal I had. I have a rockchucker but there is no real force in necksizing, your partner press will do fine.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

partner will piss it in

Ned Kelly what was that fitting you had on the top of the partner press you used to use to load at the range?? looked like some sort of strain guage??

P
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day Pat,
just an indicator/pointer for my Harrel 6PPC die. I could attach an engraved disc that was attached to the top of the die and marked in 1 thou increments so I could wind it down/up as much as I wanted reasonably accruately.

Now redundant as I size my ppc cases with the redding competition shell holders and 6ppc type S FL die and bushings. I simply select the shell holder that gives me a just enough FLS to allow the bolt to easily close when the firing pin assembly is removed from the bolt body.

Dead simple for easy bolt closure when loading in a BR match

cheerio Ned
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: Reducing 222rem necks to .204??

Post by DSD »

Hello Andrew

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk