What do i need?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

What do i need?

Post by bimbo »

I have just bought my first center fire rifle and would like to reload for it when i get enough cases. the rifle is a .223 rem and i bought 100 rounds of federal powershock, i am told the cases will be good to reload - are they any good?

i am just wondering what bits of gear i need and what brands you would suggest for low volume reloading.

i am going to buy a copy of nick harveys reloading book next time i am at the gun shop which is surposed to a be pretty good guide

cheers
James
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Buy the Rockchucker supreme kit and a set of RCBS dies. Extras that will be needed are a pair of Verniers (mine are digital Kingchromes which you can get out of Bunnings) a case trimmer. (lee make one that only trims when you get to dangerous lengths. Its no good if you want to pick a trim lenght and uniform all your cases but as a safety measure its a well spent $20, in fact I think I could sell you one! since I bought a lathe type trimmer) Final addition is a powder trickler. Most accuracy buffs set the powder thrower to drop a little short and weigh each charge by adding to the scale pan with a trickler
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

I second the rockchucker kit. Has everything u need to get started except the dies of course. I use Lee Collet Deluxe set dies for all my rifles as they are cheap and effective.
Bidgee
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Bidgee »

I started with the RCBS Partner kit. If your budget is tight its a good way to get started but you will end up adding the bits such as a powder trickler and case trimmer over time. I'd recommend getting a priming tool too if its not included in the kit. Dont forget to get the required shellholder when you get the kit.

The Federal brass will be fine for reloading.

Scott
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

my rockchucker supreme kit came with a hand priming tool. 8)
jb747

Post by jb747 »

Any of the kits should get you under way. I bought a Hornady, and it has loaded untold rounds without a hitch, though I'm now looking at getting a Rockchucker as well, as the size of the cases that I'm loading has grown over the years.

Remember that the dies don't have to come from the same company as the press. As already mentioned, the Lee collet set would be a good (and cheap) place to start.
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

thanks for the suggestions. i will have to take a trip to the gun shop in teh next few weeks and see what they have got and what i can afford. was looking at spending about 300 ish but maybe more

cheers
james
Rick1970
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 Remington

Post by Rick1970 »

At the moment i get by with a Lee loader (as in the use a soft hammer type thing), Lyman scales, trickler, Lee hand case trimmer and chamfer tool. I made up a press to use the Lee tool in as i don't like the hammer idea. Works ok, but slow.
Total cost was cheap, as the only stuff i bought was the case trimmer and chamfer tool new, and the scales s/h. Will be updating to something better at a later date tho.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Ive got a heap of reloading gear for sale at the moment all in good nick and would suit to get you started, just a thought!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: What do i need?

Post by Camel »

So Bimbo, just out of curiosity, what did you end up getting. ?? :D
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

Camel wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:45 pm So Bimbo, just out of curiosity, what did you end up getting. ?? :D
Wow I must have been young and stupid and not known any better at that stage as I took Tev's advice :shock: :lol: :lol:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Add gullible to that and you may just be right, considering how he has turned out after all these years. :lol: :lol:
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Wow Mark, you're digging deep and raising the dead with some of these threads! :lol:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:45 pm So Bimbo, just out of curiosity, what did you end up getting. ?? :D
And it took you 12 years to follow up?!?!?!?!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

curan wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:40 pm Wow Mark, you're digging deep and raising the dead with some of these threads! :lol:
Zombie thread.