US ARMY ADOPTS 6.5 CREEDMOOR

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223rem

US ARMY ADOPTS 6.5 CREEDMOOR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

Well the title says it all,,, I guess this cartridge will be the next 223rem in popularity ,,and Ill have to get my 260rem changed over to 6.5 Creedmoor otherwise the resale value will be zero !! :? :? :| :roll:
http://soldiersystems.net/2018/03/23/us ... ts-6-5-cm/
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: US ARMY ADOPTS 6.5 CREEDMOOR

Post by The Raven »

lee_enfield223 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:40 pm Well the title says it all,,, I guess this cartridge will be the next 223rem in popularity ,,and Ill have to get my 260rem changed over to 6.5 Creedmoor otherwise the resale value will be zero !! :? :? :| :roll:
http://soldiersystems.net/2018/03/23/us ... ts-6-5-cm/
OR you could make a fortune dreaming up another unnecessary cartridge, that's no better than anything before it. Oh look, didn't the paragraphs 1, 3, and 4 essentially state that ? :lol:

The trick is to get it to market first. :roll:

My point is, there is NOTHING new here. Sort out what you want and then run some models to get the ideal solution. Do some real world tests to confirm, and you're done.

I'm off to design a range of iCartridges (TM). Something that changes every year, fits nothing before it (requiring a new rifle), and is a MUST HAVE for the Kardashians of the shooting sport.

:mrburns:
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

Most of those replying to the linked article must have multiple penises.

You simply can't be that much of a wanker tugging on just one...
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223rem

Post by lee_enfield223 »

yes I agree ,thats why I went with the 260rem, but as stated marketing and hype goes along way......and so did the 222rem join that list of no longer wanted cartridges,,,,so as I said before looks ill have to convert my rifle to a creedmore after the barrels shot out :roll: :shock: :(
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

I just read the link. So pleased to own a 260. Wish I had of ordered the reamer last week as it’s now obselete and won’t work anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

I think my 270Win will hang around a while. So far it's performed better than anticipated.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

There is no doubt that the Creedmoor is a fine cartridge. The constant theme of the article is the emphasis on new tecnology.
I say that because the comparison is new tipped bullet data of the CM to old school tech 308. Let's update this a bit.
The Hornady offerings use Hyperformance powder or other proprietary blends to get the velocities they get. The standard M118 round is plus or minus 43 grains of Re 15, but was Varget in previous years, getting the 175 SMK along at an easy 2600 fps. With the newer powders that can be taken to 2750 fps with lower pressure. The Hodgdon reloading site shows it with CFE 223 but there are other new powders that will do it.

Then there is the bullet. Sierras 175 SMKs run at 0.495 real world BC according to several sources. The 175 TMK runs at 0.545 BC. The as yet not released RDF is rumored to be around the high 5s. Now run the updated data of the 308 with the new powder and bullet technology and the gap seen in their chart closes dramatically. All done in a barrel twist from 11 through to 13 as opposed to 8. That is important especially when it comes to throat life.
But let's move on back to the old tech. There are custom bullets in the 175 grain range used in competition, Cateruccio, from the former Sierra technician, that have been around for years that exceed 0.600 BC using the same Sierra jackets used in the 175s. He also did a 7mm 168 grain version for 1K competition a very long time ago that was in the mid 0.6 BC range. Most may not know but Hornady a very long time ago did a short run of 168 match bullets that had rebated boat tails and very fine meplats that had a high 0.5 BC. These were rumored to have been made by Lapua, a company virtually unheard of at that time. It was a short lived bullet but did exist for a while but was axed due to cost i recall. I still had some recently but moved them on but will endeavour to get a pic of them to post up.
The 308 with a bullet of around 0.6 BC at 2750 fps matches up pretty close to the CM. It hits harder due to bullet weight. Rifles in 308 are fucking everywhere. I see no point other than recoil for female soldiers.
Like anything, the data can be made to favour the golden haired child. All well and good to talk up all the current advances on one and not then apply them to the other. Good sales pitch though.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Tonyz, thats a good technical explanation on how comparisons can be flawed if the variables are being tweaked different ways.