204 brass/ammo

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Shep25
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .17 remington

204 brass/ammo

Post by Shep25 »

Buying a new tikka 204r and i am looking for suggestions on the best factory ammo to buy that has good brass for reloading?

Just want to get all the same brass from the start that will last for a fair while.

Cheers for your imput guys
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: 204 brass/ammo

Post by trevort »

so why don't you buy virgin brass and start from scratch
Shep25
.17 HMR

Post by Shep25 »

trevort wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:44 pm so why don't you buy virgin brass and start from scratch
Could do that i guess.
Just figured that doing load development while running it in might throw the groups out a little.
Might be worth looking at though trevort.
Might have to do some 5 shot grouping so i can have a bit of fun while doing it.
Any recommendations on good brass?
Probably start at around 200 pieces.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Haven't had a 204 for years so my opinion is old.

Norma makes nice uniform brass but my experience was that it was soft, I lost cases with head expansion and loose primers at lower charges than I would have expected. Its expensive so I wouldn't buy it again. a lot of others would disagree

I did a lot of prep work on the Remington brass and it performed very well. No complaints.

Others may chime in on current brass availability and quality.

lets say it takes you 6 to 10 shots to get your scope zeroed in, clean it and call it run in!!
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

Running a Tikka T3 Hunter in the same calibre. Used Hornady 32 & 40 grain Vmax factory ammo with great success in bedding in barrel and now paper and bunny punching. Reusing brass and also bought some new unprimed brass.
Had my first lot of load testing using 40 grain Vmax, AR2219, Hornady brass and RWS primers. Time consuming but fun.
I have narrowed the accuracy down to two distinct loads and will squeeze the specs down tighter in the next couple of months.
Shep25
.17 HMR

Post by Shep25 »

grmkc wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:56 pm Running a Tikka T3 Hunter in the same calibre. Used Hornady 32 & 40 grain Vmax factory ammo with great success in bedding in barrel and now paper and bunny punching. Reusing brass and also bought some new unprimed brass.
Had my first lot of load testing using 40 grain Vmax, AR2219, Hornady brass and RWS primers. Time consuming but fun.
I have narrowed the accuracy down to two distinct loads and will squeeze the specs down tighter in the next couple of months.
Thanks mate.
I was thinking maybe Hornady as they are readily available.
Although this will be my first rifle i am looking forward to doing load development.
My Tikka will be a synthetic T3x in varmint as suggested by a few on this site.

Cheers Bob