Neck thickness

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Neck thickness

Post by MISSED »

The reamer that was used for my 20 BR has a .235 neck.
Which is a no turn for Remington Brass
But This meant I had to turn the necks as the lapua brass when loaded has a neck dimension of .235.
No biggie I just sat down and did a few cases while I waited for the barreled action to be returned.
I turned the necks to .14 (.14+.14+.204 = .232)which should give have given me 3 thou clearance.
The neck thickness after the first firing gave me .15. :? (.15+.15+.204=.234)
Back out with the K+N took another half thou (.5+.5=1 which gave me .232 loaded
Where did the brass come from ?
I have not experienced this with the 17 mach1V or Vartarg.
The only explanation I can come up with is the Brass in the Donut had flowed forward.
Is this possible ?
You would have thought the expander mandrel would have pushed the donut out and then would have been cut of on the first neck turn
Maybe the K+N mandrel with the with donut cutter may cure this.
More things to think about.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Re: Neck thickness

Post by Seddo »

I have a few of the cutting mandrels and i dont like them, they mark the inside of the necks on their way down.

You wouldnt have to turn them if they were Norma cases either, they are thinner than Lapua.
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

I have found most cases need to be neck turned twice. If you don't cut into the shoulders quite deep enough brass flows forward. I always turn them again after first firing. Usually only a smidegon but sometimes 1 thou comes off.
Cheers.
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Seddo I bought 200 lapua cases and the reamer that was ordered was the 20 BR Lapua reamer to suit the brass.But they sent a 22BR reamer instead :twisted: then I borrowed a 20 BR reamer that was set up for Remington ,Norma brass.

Macca thanks for the reply used the K+N 30 degree cutter and went into the shoulder for what I thought was far enough but obviously not far enough.It just surprised me how far and by how much the Brass flowed.

live and learn I suppose
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Andy-roo has a thick neck, now who woulda thunk that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

Camel wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:31 pm Andy-roo has a thick neck, now who woulda thunk that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
How did I know this would degenerate to this, just from reading the thread title?

:lol: :lol:
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Seddo wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:49 pm I have a few of the cutting mandrels and i dont like them, they mark the inside of the necks on their way down.

You wouldn't have to turn them if they were Norma cases either, they are thinner than Lapua.

Norma's good but if you can use Lapua why wouldn't you!

IMG_7268.jpg

I was sent this picture because I was the first person they thought of when they seen it!
All I need is the Monocle and a top hat!

As Macca said a bit of movement after is expected.
Bit more powder in a 20BR than the 17 Mach IV and Vartarg which could explain the brass flowing forward!

Glenn
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

Glenn wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:13 pm
Norma's good but if you can use Lapua why wouldn't you!

Glenn
Because I'm lazy and done want to neck turn if I done want to!

That's why I use Norma 22PPC cases to form 20ppc, one or two pushes through the sizer and you can shoot them.
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

MISSED wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:17 am The reamer that was used for my 20 BR has a .235 neck.
But This meant I had to turn the necks as the lapua brass when loaded has a neck dimension of .235.
No biggie I just sat down and did a few cases while I waited for the barreled action to be returned.
I turned the necks to .14 (.14+.14+.204 = .232)which should give have given me 3 thou clearance.
The only explanation I can come up with is the Brass in the Donut had flowed forward.
Is this possible ?
You would have thought the expander mandrel would have pushed the donut out and then would have been cut of on the first neck turn
My thoughts are this. When you originally cut the brass, it might not have been exactly .014", it could have been .0144" but your digital verniers rounded it down (or just weren't super super accurate). The bullet might have been a few tenths of a thou oversized which is pretty common. Lets say they were .2043" diameter, not all that rare. So with tolerance stacking you easily have another 1.1 thou, possibly more.
Then after you fire the case, the powder residue build up in the neck will usually add another .001" or so.
So now you easily have an extra .0021" in diameter from what you thought your brass was.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

RDavies wrote:
MISSED wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:17 am The reamer that was used for my 20 BR has a .235 neck.
Is this possible ?
My thoughts are this. When you originally cut the brass, it might not have been exactly .014", it could have been .0144" but your digital verniers rounded it down (or just weren't super super accurate). The bullet might have been a few tenths of a thou oversized which is pretty common. Lets say they were .2043" diameter, not all that rare. So with tolerance stacking you easily have another 1.1 thou, possibly more.
Then after you fire the case, the powder residue build up in the neck will usually add another .001" or so.
So now you easily have an extra .0021" in diameter from what you thought your brass was.
I can't believe anyone actually uses vernier calipers for definition beyond 1mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Neck thickness

Post by kickinback »

RDavies wrote:
The neck thickness after the first firing gave me .15. Image (.15+.15+.204=.234)
Is this possible ?
I can't believe anyone actually uses vernier calipers for definition beyond .1mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

No Vernier Calipers here

Gunn and Moore micrometer

Dial indicator on Turner
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

How does the Gunn and moore(don’t they make cricket bats) compare to a mitutoyo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk