Looking to reload, so it's time for silly questions

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Re: Looking to reload, so it's time for silly questions

Post by Jacko9 »

I compared the lee classic cast press with the current rcbs rockchucker and thought the lee was miles in front..
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

On the alloy presses, I know that some people have used them for years and have had good service out of them, it just doesn't seem right to me to use cast alloy when putting so much pressure on things like linkages and frames, cast alloy will break as per the one I gave you. In my opinion the only reason that most of the Lee gear is popular, is because it is CHEAP, but that can be a help when just starting out loading on limited funding. I use mostly RCBS gear and a few of Mr Reddings offerings, my favourite colour is green so that helps. :P

I don't know if that press I gave you is typical of Lee presses breaking, but I aint gunna take the chance. :D
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

The lee I'm talking about is cast iron and in my opinion was finished far better than modern day rcbs equipment. When I brought my press, I didn't set a budget, just wanted quality, and it turns out the lee was the best out there really for me anyways, plenty of good features. The only other single stage I really liked was the redding.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

trevort wrote:and maybe pick up some loading tips :D
Such as stuffing it full of black stuff and hammering the bullet into place :roll:

I'll give you a call after next weeks trip to Canberra and see if we can arrange a mutual time to watch how you do it. :)
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

There are some bargains in the used market if you are not in a hurry.I picked up a near new Lee cast press, dies, 940 primers and 200 once fired brass for $200 when I started. Also RCBS 10-10 scales $70. The Lee cast is very different to the alloy Challenger.
Realise that there is a wide range of skill levels on this site from the champion target shooters to the beginner and they have vastly different requirements and costs. Work out where you fit in this mix and buy gear appropriately.
Reloading is a relaxing pastime in itself for me.

Bruce
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

B4408 wrote:. The Lee cast is very different to the alloy Challenger.
Reloading is a relaxing pastime in itself for me.

Bruce
agreed on both counts
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Intriguing, until it was mentioned I wasn't even aware Lee made a cast iron press. Seems like most of the Lee retailers don't bother advertising/carrying them, instead selling the lower priced stuff. I guess that's where the volume/profit lies.

Something new learnt! +1 to AusVarmint.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Turret presses seem like a good idea at the time and i started with 1.
Do i still use it?
Not to reload, only to store some dies that do not belong to me and arrived without a box

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Lee classic cast are excellent. Used one to resize the odd 450-577 martini case very strong and good press. I use the shity alloy breech lock one now i have no big martini. My first case did break....so they sent me a brand newey with the breech lock. With there shitty dies and works for me. To be honest cant really see 150-200 $ difference in some dies around the traps let alone other stuff. I didn't like the powder dispenser....now use a lymon gen5 and love it. Especially when working up loads.

Redding imperial lube is great for heavy re sizing great stuff. I use ballistol for normal sizing and works a treat.

Ryan
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

I agree with all the previous comments bar one..... the Lee Challenger kit.....

I started with a Challenger kit, and still use the Lee alloy press, and I load a fair bit for the range. I broke it once (my fault with not enough lube on 7mm-08), replaced the link, and I'm still happily using it years later. I bought a secondhand Lyman Spartan press as a backup, but it just sits in the cupboard. I also like the breechlock system. I don't use the beam scales except to check my Lyman Gen 5 thrower every now and then. They're not great, but they work. I used the hand primer for a while, but now I prime on the press. The powder thrower is still in use by the second "new to reloading" bloke since I passed it on (they feel cheap, but they do throw a charge).

I tumble my brass every third reload, and put them through the ultrasonic about every 6th. Pockets are cleaned every timer (I use a 3mm Dremel wire brush in an old battery drill).

There are plenty who reckon Lee kits are cheap and nasty, and I'll agree that there is better gear out there at a lot of levels, but you won't do much better for the minimum price, and I reckon those that diss the Lee gear, would still be happy to use it if they had no better. And I reckon they've introduced more people to reloading than any other manufacturer.

Anyway, there's my two bobs worth.....

cheers, curan
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

The Raven wrote:I'm considering asking Santa for some reloading gear and doing some research for the elves....

1. As far as priming goes, what's the preference of our reloaders here: Prime on the press or hand prime?
2. Case prep: Do you clean your brass each time, and if so how?

FWIW I'm looking at dabbling in it for the fun of reloading. I don't expect to save money doing it, nor do I plan on chasing super accurate rounds. Just the pleasure of doing it myself...
1. I use both depending on the application. I have a KN Hand Primer and i also use the Forster press to d it as well.
2. I acutaly clean them twice between loads. After they are fired i punch the primers and throw them in the stainless media for an hour (detergent only) to clean the outside. Then they get lubed and FL sized before going back in the stainless media for a few hours to make them shiny. Unless you put the water softner in with the detergent they don't get shiny so i dont use it on the first time around as they dont have to shiny only clean before i size them.

For most peopel this seems excessive and it most likely is but i i do all the tumbling and drying in my office so i can do it while working so its not taking up time at home, if i had to do it at home i dont think i would still do it that way.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Thanks for the help with the cleaning and press questions. I have a much better idea what to look for.

Now for new questions:

Scales, beam or digital? If digital what level of accuracy is needed noting some spec 0.1gn and others 0.01gn? I think a 0.1 is accurate enough assuming a quality bit of kit.

Dies, what's your preference? Do you F/L size each time or when you feel it's needed? I guess this leads into case trimming, how often is it generally needed?

Yep, I'm double checking all the advice here with a google BS detector, and then flipping a coin as to which to believe :)

Seriously, it's good to hear multiple opinions for a broader understanding of it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Scales, I have only ever used balance beam, RCBS 505 to be exact, use them to set one of my throwers, then check every 10th thrown load, very rare to get one that is a bit out, probably one in 20 or 30, depends on how you work the thrower. For my accurate varmint rifles I will re-throw a load if its out by 0.1 or more, hunting rounds as long as they aren't less or more than a half a grain out, I will load them up.

Sizing, I neck size my 17, 20, 224 and 257 cartridges, the others I full length size every time, they are hunting rifles and good reliable feeding is more important to me than any perceived gain in accuracy from neck sizing only. The varmint rounds get a lot more use. For example my 20/222 have been fired over 10 times each, and never needed to full length size them. I anneal them every 5 firings. I still have about 185 of the original 200 I formed about 4 years ago.

Seating projectiles, I will first check they will work through the magazine, varmint cartridges get checked for lands contact, them back off a tad, hunting rifles I will seat all projectiles to either factory length, or slightly longer if magazine length allows. Reliable feeding is more important to me than anything else when using a larger hunting calibre.

Trimmer, I use a RCBS rotary case trimmer, manual one and check the length before loading them, but after sizing and trim if necessary. When I have trimmed one case to the correct length, I save that one, mark it and use it to quickly set up the trimmer next time.

I like to keep loading pretty simple and use the gear that I have had for the best part of 35 years.
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

I'm happy with beam scales and a powder thrower but I haven't tried the electronic scales as yet.

Dies, I have generally used RCBS and Redding. As for F/L sizing it depends on the purpose, I generally f/l size cases that are to be used in any rifle where I am likely to be shooting heaps and don't want a jam. Varminter I have got away with just neck sizing.

As for trimming, I have found the cartridge being used and load makes a difference as to how often I trim cases. Some cartridges just seem to stretch more than others.
223 fanboy
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by 223 fanboy »

My methods

Neck size only unless the case was hard to load or extract.

Lee trimmer with the shell holder in a battery drill. Nothing to adjust.
After sizing and before priming just run each case through. Not all of them will get cut back.

Cheers
Last edited by 223 fanboy on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.