Wet Tumbling

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Wet Tumbling

Post by bimbo »

Is anyone else running a wet media tumbler?
What are you putting in it other than brass, stainless pins and water?

At the moment I am just using a squirt of whatever dish washing liquid is next to the kitchen sink and on most loads a spoon full of burning powder but honestly dont notice any real difference when I don't put it in. I run the tumbler for about 2hrs and call it done

Whats your recipe and process?

Cheers
James
223 fanboy
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Re: Wet Tumbling

Post by 223 fanboy »

Hi Bimbo,

I've did a couple of loads last summer (brass dries out quicker) with some a squirt or 3 of dishwashing liquid and some citric acid powder in warm water. Didn't keep notes on quantities of either, but think it may have been less than a teaspoon of anhydrous citric acid in a 10 litre tumbler.

If you decide to go with the citric I can send you some to try.
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

I use burnishing compound from Aussie sapphire. About five teaspoons in a large Frankford arsenal tumbler. Brass comes out shinier than new.
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

In about 2 litres I use a good squirt of detergent and a good 1/2 teaspoon citric acid (from supermarket). On cleaner brass 1 hour, old stuff 3 hours.
Drain water and seperate media then rinse in bottle of metho, rackout on board with nails on it and dries in a few minutes. Reuse metho for next batch. Leaves no water marks.

Bruce
billsshed
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 hornet

Post by billsshed »

I do pretty much the same as above. Warm water, squirt of dishwashing liquid, 1/2 teaspoon citric acid and SS pins. My citric is very coarse granular stuff from a lab supply but it is pretty much the same stuff. It will work fine with out the citric but with really crappy range brass citric is the way to go. When cleaning JACKETS I do not use the citric. When cleaning 22LR cases prior to swaging, I use citric as the grunge that comes out of clean brass is amazing.
I like the idea of metho, but think the water must have some serious impurities in it. Out here we are on tank water and it is run through 5 micron filters and have never noticed water marks. Good idea though!

Bill
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

When I think of wet tumbling, I automatically think of female mud wrestlers, is that wrong ?? :homer:
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

Camel wrote:When I think of wet tumbling, I automatically think of female mud wrestlers, is that wrong ?? :homer:
not at all :D
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote:When I think of wet tumbling, I automatically think of female mud wrestlers, is that wrong ?? :homer:
Yes, that is wrong!

It's meant to be Jelly Wrestling!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

The Raven wrote:
Yes, that is wrong!

It's meant to be Jelly Wrestling!

We could have accommodated female mud wrestlers at Yass last weekend, but I did notice a distinct lack of jelly. :roll: :lol:

Rob really should have invited abducted his avatar, I think she would be really really good at wet tumbling :twisted:
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

i use the stainless media with a splash of dish-washing liquid and the water softener it came with. after an hour of so they are clean and shiny as. if you dont use the softener they come out clean but not shiny.

in winter i dry them in a dehumidifier and in summer i put them out on a towel.