JB Bore Paste or Bore Brite

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

JB Bore Paste or Bore Brite

Post by The Raven »

Has anyone used JB Bore Paste or Bore Brite and, if so, what were your thoughts on it. Feel free to include any tips on how you used it.

On the same topic, does anyone here use a bore scope? I'm interested in what bore scopes, the ones that either connect to a phone or computer USB, are half decent without laying out a lot of cash.
Gatekeeper25
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Re: JB Bore Paste or Bore Brite

Post by Gatekeeper25 »

I recently bought a Teslong borescope and am quite impressed. It came with a screen but it can be connected to a pc. Haven't tried that so can't comment on it. The included screen is a handy smartphone size and works well. It has a couple of zoom options and photo/video recording built in. It includes a selection of mirrors (5) to fit 20 cal and up but unfortunately will not fit in a 17. You have to fiddle with the mirror to get the focussing spot-on for the bore size, but it only takes half a minute. The recorded images are ok, but not as good as what you see while using it which is very clear. If you connect it directly to a computer you may be able capture a higher quality image, not sure. I’ve never seen through a Hawkeye or some other optical borescope to compare but it’s the best digital borescope that I have seen, although my experience is somewhat limited there also. It comes in a nice case and seems to be of reasonable quality (going by the extremely technical look/feel/weight test) I got the one with a flexible lead (45”) but you have a rigid option also. Since buying it I’ve discovered a couple of things inside different barrels that I wish I didn’t know about. All in all, I’m pretty happy with it. I paid $255.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

That’s great to hear about the Teslong as I just order one last night. USB (no screen) with the 45 inch flexi.

As you might have guessed, I bought the JB products to try on a particular rifle but thought I should get a before and after close up look. Hence the Teslong, which get rave reviews (for the price).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gatekeeper25
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Gatekeeper25 »

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with it. Once you get the focus "just right " by adjusting the mirror you can see quite fine details.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the JB once you have used it.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Having heard positive reviews on the JB products I figured a more qualitative test was in order, hence the Teslong so I could see for myself and show others.

Once it arrives and I figure out how to record some pics or vids I post the before and after results.

Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day All,
Borescope - you will see things that scare the pants off you. BUT, if the rifle shoots as expected - ignore the visual defects as they haven't affected your rifle!
What they are ideal for is ensuring you have a clean bore, no carbon rings in the chamber and you can check throat wear. You can then gauge barrel wear visually....to a point.
I have heard many good things about the Teslong and the Lyman one, but Teslong would be my choice. However the Hawkeye one is top notch gear if you ever see them for sale.

JB Bore paste and bore bright are basically different grades of polish. The bore bright is not as effective as the bore paste as it is too fine. I prefer Iosso bore paste as it fels a bit more coarse but quickly breaks down into a fine grade, so it is aggressive at the start then becomes a more of a polishing compound - ideal for Carbon and copper removal.
Particularly in older fire cracked barrel throats.
If you consider the cracked throats get "filled" with copper/carbon like spak filla, you don't want to chemically remove the filler as you will need to fill the cracks up by shooting before the barrel settles down again - that is, the cracks are filled again.
This is where the bore pastes excel. They only remove the lumpy copper and carbon but leave the rest in the bore.
My method uses a Parker Hale style Jag with Chux wipes cut to wrap around the jag until its a tight fit in the bore. If its not tight enough, it wont follow the rifling, it will skid over the top and fail to remove the fouling.
A smear of bore paste and wet the patch with some solvent. The solvent does 2 things - it softens the carbon and copper AND acts a lubricant for the tight batch.
I start the patch and push it in about 4"/10cm, then pull back, and push it through to 8"/20cm, increasing the travel each time for the length of the barrel.

DO NOT push it all the way through! Keep the full jag/patch in the bore

I put tape on the cleaning rod to indicate when the patch is at the muzzle and then I repeat the whole process again.

This is to ensure that the throat gets the main work out as this is where most of the fouling occurs, and to give me peace of mind that any wear from the paste actually is creating a tapered bore or more precisely keeping a tight muzzle for accuracy.

This has been my process after being shown this method by BRT in 2007 and it has been used on many 6ppc benchrest barrels and F class barrels with no accuracy issues. I trust it to deliver the optimum accuracy that the barrel can deliver and know its me who lost any shot on target.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Geoff
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Well I've learnt one thing, don't trust Aliexpress.

Ordered over a month ago, got shipping notices, and then they claimed AusPost couldn't deliver so it's being returned. Refused a refund until next month, which I think is a ruse.

Probably travelled by Finnieas Fog (Around the world in 80 days), then via the Silk Road, then a slow boat from China, and then some poor refugee swimming the rest of the way.

Hope to get a refund, which is doubtful, and will now pay extra to buy it from a more reputable supplier.

Lesson learnt, Aliexpress is nothing but a scam.
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

One issue Ive heard with Borebright is that it can make the bore too smooth and shiny, which ends up collecting more copper than usual.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

RDavies wrote:One issue Ive heard with Borebright is that it can make the bore too smooth and shiny, which ends up collecting more copper than usual.
That’s a possibility but I don’t think that will apply to the bore that I’m planning to do.

Still hoping to get a bore scope first so I can do a before and after.