T3 Mag set up for 80gn projies - pls help

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

T3 Mag set up for 80gn projies - pls help

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day All,
I have a T3 223 1:8T varmint and I'm looking to seat 75-82gn projectiles to be close to the lands and have nothing more than the boat-tail inside the shoulder area of the case for max powder capacity AND still feed from a magazine. A magazine with a long internal dimension should allow me to chase the throat wear too (up to mag max OAL). I've been looking at the Waters Rifleman mags as an option too - anyone used them? They look to be well made.

So, I need to know the internal length of the Tikka CTR 223 mag and the internal length of the AICS pattern 223 mag - not the cartridges' OAL, but the usable length inside the mag.
If you could provide the cartridge max oals and projectiles for that magazine that would also be great but I definitely the mag dimensions. Then I can work on some dummy rounds to see exactly where the various projectiles sit inside the case neck.

If anyone has a similar setup what did you go for and any tips/tricks/traps to be aware of during modifications to stock/mag/bottom metal?

I'll probably be using the Atlasworx bottom metal but open to other bottom metal options too.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers Geoff
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Re: T3 Mag set up for 80gn projies - pls help

Post by Seddo »

Geoff,

I use accurate mag's. They have a plastic 2 piece insert in them. All i do is put a small chamfer so i get more slightly more clearance for the 80gr amaz at 2.5" OAL.

https://www.deltatactical.com.au/buy-ri ... 10rnd-p200
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

I just went through this exercise in the last few weeks. CTR magazine internal usable length is 2.550". The Gunbloke bottom metal and Wild Dog magazine which is AICS pattern is also 2.550". With a very slight mod the Wild Dog magazine fits a standard CTR bottom metal. The Gunbloke sells these for around $40 which for their quality is very good value. I did fiddle with a Magpul AICS pattern magazine in the CTR metal but I found it too rattly even though it does feed acceptably. With the Waterman the physical length on the 10 shotter as a single stacker was not my preference. Very well made though and Dave offers two internal lengths.

With the 80 ELDM in a factory Tikka 223 chamber, my overall cartridge length with 10 thou jam is 2.510" on a throat that is not new. So my assumption is that on a new T3 barrel the OAL with the 80 ELDM to lands contact should be around 2.490". I should add that at my current OAL the boat tail body junction is level with the case neck shoulder junction. That is about as ideal as I could have asked for where there is still plenty of air space with 24 grains of 2206H.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester

Post by Ned Kelly »

Gday All,
thanks Seddo & Tony, I've got some homework to do.
Cheers Geoff
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day all,
some homework completed, my rifle has done little work probably less that 200rds.
I've just checked the bullet jam figures for the 80gn Amax, Berger 80gn VLD and 80.5 FB...

80 gn Amax BT shoulder just inside case, but fully through neck OAL 2.477"
80 gn Berger VLD BT shoulder only just inside case, but seems to befully through neck OAL 2.455"
80.5 gn Berger FB BT shoulder ever so slightly just inside case if at all OAL 2.445"

I think I'll try the Berger 80.5 FB first as it has the shortest OAL and should be able to find a seating depth that works with max case capacity

Also WR mags now make AICS and CTRS that appear to be double stacked single feed...could be wrong as I have not enquired yet... that will be next job.

Tony Z, is the DBM from the gunbloke alloy or steel? I have the choice of cnc inletting any DBM would you go CTR or full AICS DBM?

Seddo, your happy with the Accurate mag and what DBM did you use? and are you happy with the bottom metal.

Cheers Geoff
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Ned Gunblokes floorplates are a high tensile matt anodised alloy and contrary to what the homepage says, they are not a drop in fit.
I went CTR because i already had that action with two bolts and two magazines with 12 or so barrels which i swap out whenever i get bored. But if i went from scratch, i would go Seddo's way with the AICS. A CTR mag is $280. For that you can buy a floorplate and a couple of AICS mags depending on whether you go steel or polymer.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day Tony,
I was thinking of an Atlasworx either as a CTR inlet/AICS mag or their straight up AICS DBM. If I went with the CTR inlet I'd have that as a CAD model for inletting but it is a bit more $$. I'll probably keep it pretty simple and cost effective.
Thanks to all for the help.
Cheers Geoff
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day all,
just an update from Waters Rifleman via email on their recently released AICS mags. They are actually full AICS standard single feed, double stack magazines that are actually smaller than other AICS mags for a given round count and for a 223R they have an extra 0.050" OAL length too similar AICS mags for the 223R.
Could be a winner!
Just need to check how far back the bolt goes compared to the feed ramp - min 2.7" gap for proper feeding.
Nevertheless, I will carefully consider what does work with the WR mags but they do seem to a quality product worth buying
Thanks again.
Cheers Geoff
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

The original AICS 223 mags were 308 mags with 2 alloy spacers glued to the side and the feed lips closed up, they also cost about twice as much as the 308 mag, ask me how i know!!! I still have it somewhere. The issue with a 223 in the full length 308 mag meant they liked to nose dive. They also held 12-14 rounds.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

I started with the v groove and moved to the square when I cut them on rhe mill, the groove was done with a dreamil.
I have used these mags in PRS matches without any issues. I'm using a Stiller DBM but have also used them in AICS stocks.

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk