Ted’s knife thread

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 358ME

Re: Ted’s knife thread

Post by deermasterhunter »

Gnome wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:23 pm That's a very very nice clever and the right thickness in the blade as well and agree the scales ccomplement it very very nicely :)
Thanks mate, it did come up nice, I really like it. :D
dashooter wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:32 pm Very cool Ted. Very cool. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, certainly different, lots of people love this sort of stuff. :D
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Thats real pretty Teddles. :D

Those choppers I made a couple of years ago showed me how hard the steel in those saw blades is, and I was using modern saw blades. I do have a couple of really old swing saw blades to do something with when I get the urge. :D
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

That's awesome Ted. Love the funky shape, love the handle material . Well done

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

Camel wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:51 pm Thats real pretty Teddles. :D

Those choppers I made a couple of years ago showed me how hard the steel in those saw blades is, and I was using modern saw blades. I do have a couple of really old swing saw blades to do something with when I get the urge. :D
Thanks Mark, you should get in and make a couple mate. :D
bimbo wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:39 am That's awesome Ted. Love the funky shape, love the handle material . Well done

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Cheers James, I rather like the shape and have enough blade left to make a couple more. It's that bloody hard, I didn't want to anneal it to work on as wanted to leave the old original hard steel and believe me its hard around about 59RC. I can tell that by buggering two brand new belts grinding it and nearly buggering two more finer grits. Stuffed one drill bit and near buggered another special one with the hard top that cost me $14 each Slow speed and cutting oil and got through it ok.
The scales just set them off too eh mate? :D
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

deermasterhunter wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:52 pm Made this cleaver from a very, very old saw blade. Probably 70 plus years old and great steel in it. Anyway, decided to make something a little different and actually have enough of the blade left to make a couple more, if I feel like all the extra work. Hybrid scales sort of set it off nicely I thought.Anyway, here's what I came up with and it feels great in the hand and will be a very useful item in a kitchen. Thank's for looking

Just having another good look at this chopper Ted, if I may offer a small critique,.........

I reckon the handle needs to be more in the horizontal when the edge of the chopper is level, the reason for my thinking is that when chopping people will want to use the whole length of the edge, but with you handle up at an angle, it could put a bit of a strain on the wrist, if you wanted to use the front third of your edge, the user's elbow would near have to be cocked up to shoulder height and that would make it hard to get good downward power into the chopping, something that a good chopper is made to do. :D
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

Camel wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:16 pm
deermasterhunter wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:52 pm Made this cleaver from a very, very old saw blade. Probably 70 plus years old and great steel in it. Anyway, decided to make something a little different and actually have enough of the blade left to make a couple more, if I feel like all the extra work. Hybrid scales sort of set it off nicely I thought.Anyway, here's what I came up with and it feels great in the hand and will be a very useful item in a kitchen. Thank's for looking

Just having another good look at this chopper Ted, if I may offer a small critique,.........

I reckon the handle needs to be more in the horizontal when the edge of the chopper is level, the reason for my thinking is that when chopping people will want to use the whole length of the edge, but with you handle up at an angle, it could put a bit of a strain on the wrist, if you wanted to use the front third of your edge, the user's elbow would near have to be cocked up to shoulder height and that would make it hard to get good downward power into the chopping, something that a good chopper is made to do. :D
I tend to disagree Mark. It feels absolutely perfect in the hand and falls perfectly. I have a sore writ and it even feels spot on with the sore wrist.Any lower and the elbow would have to come down more too and actually be more uncomfortable. I was even told on facebook by someone what a perfect angle of handle to the blade was??. Naturally I think its perfect too seeing as I made it. :lol: :lol:

Actually mate, cut one out of cardboard and feel how it s in the hand. :D
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

A couple of Mitchell Boners One is 12c27 with beefwood scales, the other is RWL34 with ringed Gidyea scales
Attachments
1.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

The other
Attachments
7.JPG
6.JPG
5.JPG
9.JPG
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Good looking functional knives Ted, that ringed gidyea comes up nice!!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

deermasterhunter wrote:A couple of Mitchell Boners One is 12c27 with beefwood scales, the other is RWL34 with ringed Gidyea scales
Love this one!!

deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

mick_762 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:08 pm Good looking functional knives Ted, that ringed gidyea comes up nice!!
Thanks David the lad is going to like it when he see's it I reckon as he wanted one with the ringed Gidyea. They are a really great shape and great to use. :D
The Raven wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:01 pm
deermasterhunter wrote:A couple of Mitchell Boners One is 12c27 with beefwood scales, the other is RWL34 with ringed Gidyea scales
Love this one!!

Thanks Raven :D
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

deermasterhunter wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:40 am
mick_762 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:08 pm Good looking functional knives Ted, that ringed gidyea comes up nice!!
Thanks David the lad is going to like it when he see's it I reckon as he wanted one with the ringed Gidyea. They are a really great shape and great to use. :D
The Raven wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:01 pm
Love this one!!

Well, the lad liked them both that much he said I will actually buy one off you dad. So I sold him the both of them for under the price of one. :roll: I only gave him the one the same with buffalo horn scales a couple of weeks ago and also one I made from from super steel just before that. He must have at least a dozen by now. :lol: Just finished a couple this afternoon after helping a mate out by cutting down a big fig tree for him. Will post some photos tomorrow, one ringed Gidyea on RWL34 and one deep belly Damascus with samba antler scales
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

deermasterhunter wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:55 pm

[/quote]
Well, the lad liked them both that much he said I will actually buy one off you dad. So I sold him the both of them for under the price of one. :roll: I only gave him the one the same with buffalo horn scales a couple of weeks ago and also one I made from from super steel just before that. He must have at least a dozen by now. :lol: Just finished a couple this afternoon after helping a mate out by cutting down a big fig tree for him. Will post some photos tomorrow, one ringed Gidyea on RWL34 and one deep belly Damascus with samba antler scales
[/quote]

I thought I saw it on EBay a little while ago.

:stir: :mrburns:
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

daisy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:24 pm
deermasterhunter wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:55 pm

[/quote]

I thought I saw it on EBay a little while ago.

:stir: :mrburns:
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

This one is for a good mate of my son who wanted one. I made two before but the lad ended up with them both :facepalm: So had to make this one. His favorite colour is Green so put a Hybrid handle made by mate in WA on it 12c27 Sandvik and used the thinner steel as they work better when thinner.

Bit of video first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V20ge8t ... edMitchell