Ted’s knife thread

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 358ME

Re: Ted’s knife thread

Post by deermasterhunter »

dashooter wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:11 pm Looks cool Ted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, I gave that one away to JWK. We did a few hunts together and when I was down south he looked after me well. I also gave him a couple of knives too, but he in turn made me a beautiful arrow box and were good friends :D
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Ted’s knife thread

Post by trevort »

Hot metal photos . That’s the trick

deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

trevort wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:41 pm Hot metal photos . That’s the trick Image

Cheers Trevor :D
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

Are you hammering that out by hand Ted?
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

bimbo wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:46 pm Are you hammering that out by hand Ted?
Yes mate, all hammered by hand and it makes my shoulder ache something fierce. That is the reason I don't like making them any more. I have one nearly done all the hammering done anyway. I don't mind hammering a knife out as it's far easier, but really. Just stock removal is as good as anything, they still get heated to harden and the forge is always fun to play with. The kiln isn't fun as their a PITA and take too long, but a must when playing with some of the steel I use.
The days of hammering out old leaf springs etc to make a knife are just about over for me, might do one now and again, but far rather play with known steel so I have full control over how hard I get them. :D
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Post by dashooter »

deermasterhunter wrote:
Yes mate, all hammered by hand and it makes my shoulder ache something fierce. That is the reason I don't like making them any more. I have one nearly done all the hammering done anyway. I don't mind hammering a knife out as it's far easier, but really. Just stock removal is as good as anything, they still get heated to harden and the forge is always fun to play with. The kiln isn't fun as their a PITA and take too long, but a must when playing with some of the steel I use.
The days of hammering out old leaf springs etc to make a knife are just about over for me, might do one now and again, but far rather play with known steel so I have full control over how hard I get them. :D
Hey Ted, was watching a series called Mountain Men on Foxtel the other night and there’s a guy there in Arkansas that makes knives (and other cool blades) as well. Most of his work is by hand but he has also converted a wood splitter (hydraulic I think) into a form of power hammer. Essentially just tipped it vertical instead of horizontally and modified the wedge a bit.

deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

dashooter wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:51 am
deermasterhunter wrote:
Hey Ted, was watching a series called Mountain Men on Foxtel the other night and there’s a guy there in Arkansas that makes knives (and other cool blades) as well. Most of his work is by hand but he has also converted a wood splitter (hydraulic I think) into a form of power hammer. Essentially just tipped it vertical instead of horizontally and modified the wedge a bit.

Yes a good idea, I often thought about making a power hammer, but two things stopped me, no money and no room for one here. Ha ha, when I want to hammer out one I make sure its a warm day and I have plenty of beer or rum or bourbon, they all seem to work to help the pain. :lol:
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

ive seen a block splitter on youtube made from a single car spring on a frame.
maybe ,with a hefty piece of steel on the end,it would make a decent hammer ??
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

LoneRider wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:06 pm ive seen a block splitter on youtube made from a single car spring on a frame.
maybe ,with a hefty piece of steel on the end,it would make a decent hammer ??
I think I might just give all the hard hammering away mate. I don't mind doing a bit here and there, but I don't really want to bash out old springs and rasps etc any more, I like making knives from annealed steel of known description and then doing the hardening and tempering myself. There's still enough if not too much work sanding the buggers anyway. :lol:
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

A few nice sets of Hybrid scales here. Second set on left top row are Banksia cone with resin, then some Camphor Laurel and white Mallee and blue resins and bimble box burl and resin and some red cooliba and resin. I love these scales, even though some don't like them. The white Mallee burl on right end top row are ice too.
Scales hybrid.JPG
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

Made this cleaver from a very, very old saw blade. Probably 70 plus years old and great steel in it. Anyway, decided to make something a little different and actually have enough of the blade left to make a couple more, if I feel like all the extra work. Hybrid scales sort of set it off nicely I thought.Anyway, here's what I came up with and it feels great in the hand and will be a very useful item in a kitchen. Thank's for looking

trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Looks good Ted. Did you heat treat it after cutting it out or is it hard enough?

Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

Post by Gnome »

That's a very very nice clever and the right thickness in the blade as well and agree the scales ccomplement it very very nicely :)
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Post by dashooter »

Very cool Ted. Very cool.

deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

trevort wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:21 pm Looks good Ted. Did you heat treat it after cutting it out or is it hard enough?

Just kept it cool while working and it's that hard its unreal. Its sharp enough to shave with now. All I know is it's bloody hard all the way through the blade and wore out two new belts shaping it and grinding, plus a couple of smaller grit belts. Worth it though as it did come up nice. :D