What new builds have you dreamt up during these idle times?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: What new builds have you dreamt up during these idle times?

Post by trevort »

I wasn’t. But I am now. Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Post by dashooter »

trevort wrote:I wasn’t. But I am now. Why?

Engrish must be your second language. Lol

Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

barryb wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:43 pm I apologise I haven't any exotic builds to put up but in this boring time I fitted a new ( used Redfield scope ) to my little Sako 17 A1 after the Pulsar N970 went to a new home.
The first 3 shots when lining up the scope wouldn't go off albeit a very small mark on the primer. Not like a Sako at all. Then I had a look at the bolt & something looked strange , yes the mounts were stopping the bolt from closing. Small hammering & problem solved. The following 2 shots not too far away & probably what one would come to expect from a Sako :roll: A simple 8 clicks to the right & we should be up & running. Don't think any further adjustments required.
[img][/SakoA1 paper Saver Mark2 202.2020 001 RES.jpgimg]

I promise not to put any more up until the virus has gone. :lol:
Barry

Stunning rifle that shoots beautifully as well - what's not to like?

Personally I'm happy for you to post up as many photos as you like :lol:

Marcus
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Not really Corona virus projects as they were all started last year, but i have had plenty of weekend time to work on them.
A Sportco 22 Hornet converted to 9mm X19. Rem 788 converted to 45 ACP. And finally a 204R Howa mini done in 30 HAM'R, or better known as 30 Apache or just 30/223 that TC did a thousand years ago.

Not what you would really call a "build", but a modified factory rifle i finished a couple of weeks ago is a Howa mini in 223 with my version of a carbon lite barrel. Has a Zeiss junker on it for now to sort loads but will have the ATN MARS 2.5-25 thermal thrown on permanently to make it my drive around night deer rifle for culling Chital up here. Still waiting on the one piece picatinny rail to final fit the thermal. I had to make a rail mount to set the thermal back as virtually every older ATN thermal is designed for use on an M4 where they all sit far too forward on a bolt gun to be of any real use.
You can see the rail i made on the thermal and the factory QD below in the position it would sit. Considerable set back to make it bolt gun friendly. $7K for a thermal that has to be modified to make it work on a bolt gun is really fucken insane.
The cheek piece was robbed off a T3 varmint stock that is a perfect fit that places my eye right in line with the thermal. It may be a bitsa but it is very light and extremely user friendly considering the gold brick sitting on top.
Attachments
20200426_194249.jpg
20200426_194337.jpg
20200426_194303.jpg
20200426_194522.jpg
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

Oh Tony, why am I not surprised you didn't bring out a Howa 243 or Ruger 6.5x55 to show off.

A Hornet converted to 9x19 and a 788 converted to 45ACP sounds interesting. A high end thermal, certainly beats an old Pecar for sure. I hope you are going to tell us more about these toys at some stage.
Mudgegonga
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17-223 Mudgegonga

Post by Mudgegonga »

Back in 2008 I was thinking I needed a 17 that would work using 223 brass, 25gn Vmax, or 30 Berger. Therefore 1 n 9 twist. I had a reamer made up which matched the Redding 17 Mach 1V full length die for the front end but the length of a 223 case. I acquired a 1 n 9 twist Krieger barrel. I didn't proceed at the time because I got side tracked by a 20 TAC, 20PPC, and a 20 Hornet, among others.

I've pulled out the reamer and the barrel thinking I might revisit this idea. With the reamer the neck length looks a bit short. I think it measures 0.180. The 17mach 1V reamer print is shows the neck length of 0.185. Am I correct in thinking that a Smith with a 17 Neck Reamer could adjust this to say 0.200+ ?

The Krieger barrel is profiled for a Remington heavy sporter/light varmint. At the chamber end of the barrel is 1.25+ for about 2 inches and then tapers down to about 0.78 at the muzzle. I would be putting this on L461 action for which the barrel width is 1.04 at the action end. Is there an issue with reducing the barrel profile down to work with the L461 sporter stock in terms of barrel stress related issues? For reference my L461 20 TAC has a barrel width is 0.850 at the the forend of the sporter stock.
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

Mudgegonga wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:16 pm Back in 2008 I was thinking I needed a 17 that would work using 223 brass, 25gn Vmax, or 30 Berger. Therefore 1 n 9 twist. I had a reamer made up which matched the Redding 17 Mach 1V full length die for the front end but the length of a 223 case. I acquired a 1 n 9 twist Krieger barrel. I didn't proceed at the time because I got side tracked by a 20 TAC, 20PPC, and a 20 Hornet, among others.

I've pulled out the reamer and the barrel thinking I might revisit this idea. With the reamer the neck length looks a bit short. I think it measures 0.180. The 17mach 1V reamer print is shows the neck length of 0.185. Am I correct in thinking that a Smith with a 17 Neck Reamer could adjust this to say 0.200+ ?

The Krieger barrel is profiled for a Remington heavy sporter/light varmint. At the chamber end of the barrel is 1.25+ for about 2 inches and then tapers down to about 0.78 at the muzzle. I would be putting this on L461 action for which the barrel width is 1.04 at the action end. Is there an issue with reducing the barrel profile down to work with the L461 sporter stock in terms of barrel stress related issues? For reference my L461 20 TAC has a barrel width is 0.850 at the the forend of the sporter stock.
Do any smiths have a neck reamer to suit 17 cal? Maybe a throat reamer?
As for turning the tennon down to 1.04", you are only removing 0.010" of material for total diameter reduction of 0.020". Since this is only coming off the tenon area and it is a small diameter case I wouldn't think it would be an issue. My 300 Whisper and 14/221 both had the tennon thinned down to suit the L461 action.