Scope mounted light

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
204 Hunter
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 204

Scope mounted light

Post by 204 Hunter »

Hi All,
I'm thinking of getting a scope mounted light to use when there's only 2 of us spotlighting
Use the handheld then switch when time to shoot
I would like something light weight and able to run off the lighter socket in my buggy so run time isn't restricted
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Tim
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Re: Scope mounted light

Post by dashooter »

I have gone down the path of a torch rather than cig powered light.
Have a look at the Olight range (Javelot etc). Good distance and combo of spot with a bit of flood.
Only needs one 18650 battery to work and if you have a spare you should get hours out of them. Especially if it isn't on constantly.
Also means you aren't tied to the vehicle for power so you can walk on foot and still be in the hunt (so to speak).
Foxfire would be the man to ask about torches.
Hope that helps in some way.
Rob
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

I spotlight out of window with main light shoot with olight javelot mx2 no problem. Mate just got the javelot mx3 and its better again
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Lightforce SL240 on the roof and a "Foxfire/Houndlight". Nothing else required.
204 Hunter
.17 HMR

Post by 204 Hunter »

Thanks for the replies.
I'll have a look into the ones suggested.
Tim
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Olight M3x javelot
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

I got one of Fenring's scope mounted hound lights, three colours, white, green and red, the white light shines further than my roof mounted spotlight, L/F 170 with a 100 W bulb, its too bright sometimes, I know if I was a fox I wouldn't want to be staring into the light at 200 yards or so, blinding, but it sure shows up everything. Havent tried the red or green yet as I cant be stuffed changing them over. :D
mick_762
50 BMG

Post by mick_762 »

Camel wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:46 am I got one of Fenring's scope mounted hound lights, three colours, white, green and red, the white light shines further than my roof mounted spotlight, L/F 170 with a 100 W bulb, its too bright sometimes, I know if I was a fox I wouldn't want to be staring into the light at 200 yards or so, blinding, but it sure shows up everything. Havent tried the red or green yet as I cant be stuffed changing them over. :D
If you would like to part with it, i can think of a profanity inducing lowball offer :mrgreen:

It would go really well on another of those sublimly polished Serbian turds :lol: :lol: :lol:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

mick_762 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:40 pm
Camel wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:46 am I got one of Fenring's scope mounted hound lights, three colours, white, green and red, the white light shines further than my roof mounted spotlight, L/F 170 with a 100 W bulb, its too bright sometimes, I know if I was a fox I wouldn't want to be staring into the light at 200 yards or so, blinding, but it sure shows up everything. Havent tried the red or green yet as I cant be stuffed changing them over. :D
If you would like to part with it, i can think of a profanity inducing lowball offer :mrgreen:

It would go really well on another of those sublimly polished Serbian turds :lol: :lol: :lol:
Where would you get such a weird idea that I wanted to part with it ?

It has two perches, both on fore said polished Serbian turds and when the third get its new life, it will have a perch there as well. :mrgreen: The main reason it hasn't been used much, besides I haven't done much shooting lately at night, is I keep forgetting to put it in the bloody ute. :roll: :roll:
mick_762
50 BMG

Post by mick_762 »

Camel wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:44 pm I keep forgetting to put it in the bloody ute. :roll: :roll:
Insert facepalm and/or bitchslap emoticon here [.....................]
Red works well, Green betterer.
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Post by Vermingone »

I use a www.coyotelight.com CL-1 in a red Led and find it fantastic as a gun mounted light. It easily shines further that I can shoot with my .243ai at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

MISSED wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:47 am Olight M3x javelot
That's what I use and it is amazing!

Has a dimmer button up the front at the back of the lense for closer shots so it not to bright!

Great hunting torch.

I picked up an Olight mount the other day at the Shot Show, it connects to a picatinny rail. It has thumb screws so no tools needed.

I do shoot with it a fair bit but it gets a lot of use finding animal shot in long grass from the car with the spotlight.

Two of my mates brought one each at the gun show!
They really like them a lot!

Glenn
Franklinsnapper
17 Hornet

Post by Franklinsnapper »

Straight out white, long throw and bright as phaaark= Olight Javelot M3X or the M2X. I use the M2 and my mate Gaz has the M3X. Both brilliant lights for mounting on a .204R.
I run the Olight M2X-UT (long shots) with a Foxfire Houndlight (the green LED installed) piggy-backed on top. The green Houndlight with it's focusable beam is just the ticket for shy close in stuff....
For general spotting I have a Lightforce SL240 handheld (permanent power outlet mounted on the headboard where I stand) while standing in the back of the ute. Rifle sits securely in a Kolpin rack behind the shooting seat until ready for the shot.
204 Hunter
.17 HMR

Post by 204 Hunter »

Thanks for the replys
Next question is what mounts are best?
Quick release would be good
I have a sako 85 -204 (surprise) with a fixed 6× leupold
I see alot of you on here like the higher power scopes, l have found the 6× has been plenty for spotlighting
mick_762
50 BMG

Post by mick_762 »

Jump onto Aliexpress and order a "scope light mount" cheap as chips you can get 1" and 30mm models.

Can also get cheap QD mounts there.

Cheap chinese gear - but holds up to the recoil of my .308 Norma Mag.