Bird Night Work.

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
big G
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 223 rem

Bird Night Work.

Post by big G »

Hi,Team.
May have some night work coming knocking off Walter Pigeons around town with a contractor using air rifles.
Have a Lightforce pred3X on the 22 with a white light.
Just wondering if any of you have used different coloured filters or beams that allow you to get multiple shots off.?......

If it develops in to a on going contract...........What's a good air rifle to buy.?...
10-30 meter range.
Spring or air.??
$300-$800.
Scope variable .?mainly night work..
177 or 22cal.

Cheers Big G
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Re: Bird Night Work.

Post by Waldo »

Lucky buggar, sounds like a heap of fun 8) 8)

Sorry, can't help on the answers though :roll:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

I've got no idea of what is a good range of equipment for you to use, but JEEZ I'm jealous, that sounds like heaps of fun, wish it was me doing it. :mrgreen:

I agree Ross :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :auto:
Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

Post by Gnome »

I'd personally go with PCP air so as not needing to constantly cock a barrel and have to reset ones rest again and again. If it turns into a contract for you look at one of the semi auto FX's .

.177 is plenty enough knock down but I'd also be happy with .22 for bigger rodents during the day and at night ;)

As for filters I have no experience so will leave that to others. Perhaps Fenring may have a better answer to that :)
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Big
I have been lucky enough to have done a bit of that I found they get a bit flighty with a white light used a green led and was much better.
I used my Air Arms S410 in 22 cal as it has a variable power setting as not to punch holes in the roof, as far as a scope is concerned a 3x9 or 4 x 12 is enough if you can get something without an adjustable objective is an advantage hope this helps
Cheers
Ol 55
fenring

Post by fenring »

Birds aren't colour blind like some mammals, or see less of certain colours like for example dogs and foxes who perceive less of certain red wavelengths (hence red filters and red LED's).

So I doubt it will make much difference.

All I've really noticed with birds during my experiments with coloured LED torches, is that green gives a better eyeshine effect to spot the buggers. And our own eyes see more of the green light that bounces back off eyes etc.

Ultimately, less light than more, will be less likely to disturb them.

Many birds are reluctant to fly at night, or so I have seen, I assume they aren't real confident as they can't see where they're going! :lol:
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

No help to you george but if anyone has a problem with swallows nesting under a painted surface ie the eaves of your house put a small blue tint in the paint and they will no longer nest there. Doesn't have to be a lot of blue either.
Yes it also works in your shed but you would have to paint the roof

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
big G
7mm08 Rem

Post by big G »

Thanks guys.
We have a PCP Buckeneer at work with 10 shot mag.
We sold one early this year, going to ask old mate how it shoots.
Interesting about light colours ,need to go for a run early one morning and see how the Walters react.
Cheers Big G
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Mate if I was you(jealous as buggery) I would be going for a PCP 17 and an NV scope. Using IR light some guys are shooting huge amounts of rats and airborne rats using this technique. You can even make your own NV setup using security cameras and IR lights with a pair of video goggles. Do yourself a favour and search YouTube for a bloke named Rolaids bench. He is an American bloke doing this stuff with pretty basic stuff. This clips are showing off his setup. I have one partially built but I had a couple of kids ruined my nocturnal past times(yes...... All of them).

Bugger it here are the links
Copy and paste into your browser

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jdb3GMy1wDI
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iHeMDBbj6EI
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EOWMgMRL-ys

Be warned the bloke is a bit of a wanker and his videos are long.......
big G
7mm08 Rem

Post by big G »

Still looking.
My mate is finalising the last details for our feather work in the coming weeks .
Have PTA coming back.......have to make a decision.....PCP in 22cal.????multi shots.
May have some white bird work over harvest....22cal apparently is the bees knees.
Know some shooters with Hatsan(cheap) that have had great results........looking for quality
Just been looking at the FX 400 .. Cool bit of kit for around $2000.
Do I need to spend that much??.??.is there a rifle similar for less.??
Big G.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester

Post by Ol 55 »

George,
I have a Air Arms S410 in 22 has an infinite adjustment knob on the side which is great for shooting birds indoors don't know how available they are though. FX make some nice ones but on the upper price range a few of the guys have Weihrauch HW 100 that would do your job not sure of the price of those. I've also got a FX Revolution but you need to be on the ball as it is possible to end up with 2 pellets in the barrel. Not hard to get a try of these if you like although before Xmas might be difficult
There is a bloke from your way that has an AA S 510 I'm sure I can get you a go with that one.
Cheers
Ol 55
big G
7mm08 Rem

Post by big G »

Ol 55 wrote:George,
I have a Air Arms S410 in 22 has an infinite adjustment knob on the side which is great for shooting birds indoors don't know how available they are though. FX make some nice ones but on the upper price range a few of the guys have Weihrauch HW 100 that would do your job not sure of the price of those. I've also got a FX Revolution but you need to be on the ball as it is possible to end up with 2 pellets in the barrel. Not hard to get a try of these if you like although before Xmas might be difficult
There is a bloke from your way that has an AA S 510 I'm sure I can get you a go with that one.
Cheers
Ol 55
Thanks Gary.
Doing some more home work on them today.
BigbG
Ol 55
.308 Winchester

Post by Ol 55 »

A Hatsan would NOT be my choice
Gary