My new build

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

My new build

Post by Camel »

Been meaning to do something like this for years now, and finally have too much time on my hands, and the devil has made use of my idle hands.

Started off with a yarn with a couple of mates, and after last weekends success with the lamb on a spit, I have been scrounging bits and pieces from everywhere that I can to put this thing together.

Started off with this.....
001 (Medium).JPG
Found on the tip at one of my rabbit shooting properties, a promise of half a bag of fresh spuds to the property owner, and it came home on the back of the ute.
Jeez, those bungs are hard to get out of these bloody things, until you find out how they are put together, once the trick is learned its pretty simple

It was quickly, well sorta, kinda, turned into this
002 (Medium).JPG
the end with the bung in it was cut out, 1/4 inch in from the seam, then butted them together and welded together, gave me 4 ft of bed for laying charcoal on, plenty for a reasonable sized lamb, go-at of piggy wiggy.

Changing tack a bit, some of these were straightened, cut in half and sharpened

003 (Medium).JPG
004 (Medium).JPG
Next up, a scrabble through my washer tin turned up these two
005 (Medium).JPG
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Re: My new build

Post by Camel »

Cleaning them up, marking out and drilling some holes was next,
006 (Medium).JPG
Then placing the spikes in the holes and putting a couple of welds on them to hold them in place, I ended up with two of these, (the bits that Igge Orego likes) to jamb into the carcass to hold them in place on the spit bar.
008 (Medium).JPG
I have to go over to Griffith and pick up my main bar from a mate over there, 4ft 6" of 316 stainless 5/8th inch rod, so I cant put up a photo of that till later. I originally asked him if he had any shot out stainless barrels, but he suggested the rod would be better, I am still unsure as it would have been a novel idea to use shot out barrels. :?

Next built the stand in three parts, one H shaped stand for each end, held together with one bar that goes underneath the spit bed for support, welded a couple of 3" x 3/8th inch cup head bolts into the end of some 1" round pipe, the same stuff was used to make the legs and top cross bar of the end legs. I ended up with it set up like this.
009 (Medium).JPG
Still need to weld on a couple of 2" pieces of 1/2 inch square tube onto one of the legs on each end to hold a rod that will go from end to end to stop some of the lateral wobble, that's going on tomorrow.

I had an old stainless fridge rack that I liberated from somewhere 25 odd years ago that was in the back of the cupboard, I have used it heaps of times when camping for a grill rack over an open fire, just coincidentally it was exactly half the length of the bed and twice as wide, si I cut it in half and then welded another rod on the side, cut out a couple of slots and it fits in perfectly for grilling/cooking over the coals, also would work well as a toasting rack.
010 (Medium).JPG
Fitted in place, I looks like this.

Still need to do a fair bit of work, tidying up some of my pigeon shit welding, smoothing out ends, priming and painting the legs, etc, but it came up just the way I wanted it to, and seeing how I have a distinct lack of patience with things, Jo and I had to give it a try out tonight for dinner. Char grilled chicken thighs with jacket potatoes wrapped in foil and cooked over the coals, had some peas and corn along with a couple of Turkish rolls cut in half and toasted.
011 (Medium).JPG
It was that bloody good chewing, that I didn't take a photo of it plated up, but I am sure you will have an idea of what tucker on a plate looks like.

While we were down at the club tonight for a couple of rums and the chook raffles, I ran into a bloke who lives up the road, and I mentioned my ideas for the making of the spit rotisserie, told him I was on the lookout for a 28inch pushbike front wheel, and a windscreen wiper motor, he had the wheel and said I could go up and take my pick as he has a few, the other bloke who was sitting with us, mentioned that he had an old stuffed hilux out at his farm and said I could go and scavenge the wiper motor out of it, Ill try and get the wiper control off the steering column as well so I can have a variable speed spit, could even use it on intermittent and am thinking of getting the washer bottle/pump and plastic hose so I can have an automatic baste sprayer on it.

I am hoping to use as much stuff as I can scrounge, beg, borrow, steal or liberate. So far it has only cost me the electricity for the cutting and welding, cause I am a cheap arsed bastard. :wink:

Ill follow up with some more tomorrow night, hopefully it will get its first turning at the Missathon.

:D
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

looking forward to this
big G
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 223 rem

Post by big G »

Igb eorgeo likes that you have include him the the detailed description of your cooking thingy. :lol: :lol:
I've got to kegs here ready to be made in to something of use.....piss trough or something.dogs water dish.

Can we start a topic on 101 uses of a keg.?........apart from holding amber ale .?......
Ibigygygeorge.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

big G wrote:Igb eorgeo likes that you have include him the the detailed description of your cooking thingy. :lol: :lol:
I've got to kegs here ready to be made in to something of use.....piss trough or something.dogs water dish.

Can we start a topic on 101 uses of a keg.?........apart from holding amber ale .?......
Ibigygygeorge.

You're the one who said you like jamming shafts up sheeeps arses mate, happy to include you in it. :D
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

its a bloody shame to see a dame good still drum go to waste seein as how hard they are to come by :cry:

bloody heathen :x
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

LoneRider wrote:its a bloody shame to see a dame good still drum go to waste seein as how hard they are to come by :cry:

If you master the art of copper, give me a call. I could do with one...
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Nice work Camel 8)
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Good stuff mate will be interested how this turns out.
Cheers
Ol 55
Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

Post by Gnome »

Top effort and looking forward to seeing it in full action at the Missed-a-thon :D
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

LoneRider wrote:its a bloody shame to see a dame good still drum go to waste seein as how hard they are to come by :cry:

I did actually think of that as I was cutting it in half, but I will get more use out of a cooker than a distiller, stiff shit. :lol:
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

admittedly it is a good job.

your still a bloody heathen though :lol:
brahman
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by brahman »