My new build

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: My new build

Post by trevort »

It upsets my equilibrium being nice to you but I can feel your enjoyment/satisfaction/pride in this project.

I wont admit it in public but well done
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

trevort wrote:It upsets my equilibrium being nice to you but I can feel your enjoyment/satisfaction/pride in this project.

I wont admit it in public but well done
Thanks Trev, I take that as being a very big complement from you. :wink:

I am really enjoying it, letting the brain cells run rampant, been a while since a lot of them have had much use. :lol: I still have to think up some more ideas as I have a few stove racks left and scrounged up the side of a stainless steel cot with heaps of bars. :D

Need to make a big carving knife, have an old machete in the shed, wonder what damage I could do with that. :lol:
James270
His Holiness
Favourite Cartridge: 270W

Post by James270 »

Camel wrote:
James270 wrote:Nice build Camel, hopefully Lion Nathan don't take an active interest :?
Just noticed this one Your Holiness, I am pretty sure if I can get absolution from your good self, that would suffice. Do we start a confession thread for the Missathon ? Besides which, isn't he in Sri Lanka playing cricket ? :?
I reckon any absolution would be dependent on the provision of a suitable sacrifice. I would suggest that a goat would be sufficient 8)
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

James270 wrote:
Camel wrote:
James270 wrote:Nice build Camel, hopefully Lion Nathan don't take an active interest :?
Just noticed this one Your Holiness, I am pretty sure if I can get absolution from your good self, that would suffice. Do we start a confession thread for the Missathon ? Besides which, isn't he in Sri Lanka playing cricket ? :?
I reckon any absolution would be dependent on the provision of a suitable sacrifice. I would suggest that a goat would be sufficient 8)

I have been a bad, bad, bad boy, :twisted: I better bring a two, there is the chance of a sucker pig as well, just depends on if its raining this weekend. :D
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

Camel wrote: I better bring a two, there is the chance of a sucker pig as well, just depends on if its raining this weekend. :D
I am meant to be working in Griffith on Monday-wed next week so I've been keeping an eye on the forecast and according to weatherzone you are due for a rather large downpour today/tomorrow (20-40mm apparently)

Cheers
James
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

bimbo wrote:
Camel wrote: I better bring a two, there is the chance of a sucker pig as well, just depends on if its raining this weekend. :D
I am meant to be working in Griffith on Monday-wed next week so I've been keeping an eye on the forecast and according to weatherzone you are due for a rather large downpour today/tomorrow (20-40mm apparently)

Cheers
James

Been coming down since 7 this morning mate, just checked the gauge and it has 25 and a tad mm in it, backyard a swamp.......again :roll:

Got any free time while you are there, could always drop over and have a yarn and a coffee, if I do go over on those days, Ill give you a ring. :D

P.s. The gun shop is a ripoff :evil:
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

Camel wrote:
bimbo wrote:

Cheers
James

Been coming down since 7 this morning mate, just checked the gauge and it has 25 and a tad mm in it, backyard a swamp.......again :roll:

Got any free time while you are there, could always drop over and have a yarn and a coffee, if I do go over on those days, Ill give you a ring. :D

Should have bit of time on Monday and Tuesday arvos then travel home on Wednesday, give me a call if you are down that way for anything but don't worry about making a special trip cause I we can have a cuppa on the weekend :)
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

suckling pig with crackling. Fark, I may have to be nice to you again. Twice in one year, can I handle it?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

bimbo wrote:
Camel wrote:
bimbo wrote:

Cheers
James

Should have bit of time on Monday and Tuesday arvos then travel home on Wednesday, give me a call if you are down that way for anything but don't worry about making a special trip cause I we can have a cuppa on the weekend :)
Ok, dunno about mon and tue, but you are right, its only another few days till the Yass gathering.

Trev, more to the point, could I handle you being nice twice in a year, :shock: we will have to watch out for lightning down at Yass.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Well, another wet day, and another good opportunity to get some more fiddly bits done and dusted.

First up, a photo of the divider that I made the other day, handy for if I only want to use one half, or have a lower temperature on one side.
037 divider (Large).JPG
First job today was to drill out a couple of more large nuts to make the holders and then welded them onto the bottom of the rack, by doing it on the bottom, I wont have the main shaft getting in the way when loading it up with food to cook. Rack is upside down.
038 hinged rotating rack (Large).JPG
Second job was measuring, cutting and bending up a cover for the motor. Does a few jobs, 1 looks a lot neater, 2 cover if it rains, 3 heat shield and somewhere to mount the switches for the motor and the light. I had some old aluminium mudguards from an alloy tray that I turned into a trailer for one of my mates, I measured what was required then bent it by clamping along the lines marked between two pieces of 25mm square tubing held in my vice, then drilled holes to match some already in the motor mount, marked and drilled the holes for the two switches, then ran the wiring through it.
040 motor cover (Large).JPG
While I was running the motor I noticed that the tyre which is pretty old, had started to come apart, so I took the tyre off and tried running it on the tube, this was ok, but a bit hit and miss, so I decided to run some 1/2 inch garden hose through the centre of the tube, cut either side of the valve and gunk came oozing out, some of that Pffft tube repair stuff. I had to make up a pull through to clean it all out, then sprayed some grease down the hole and started feeding the hose in. Got about two feet in and it jammed, so I cut it off there, put the end of the hose in the vice and pulled the tube over it as far as I could. I had to do that process three times, so ended up with four sections of tube on the hose and four joins. This doesn't matter as I have put a good layer of silastic in the tyre where the tube goes, then put the tube back on and taped the joins to set over night.
The hose in the tube gives a nice firm contact with the re-shaped rubber drive I shaped up a bit better. I am going to run the motor with the round back of my wood rasp held firmly on the rubber drive sprocket to groove it which will give a lot more contact to the tyre tube, and hopefully more traction.
041 rebuilt main drive (Large).JPG
Next up, I started knocking up a light stand for those times that the spit is being run after dark or in some unlit shed where I am camped. Ill finish it up tomorrow.
039 light stand (Large).JPG
Not much more to go, will just have to wait for Gnome's cannon shell to turn up, clean it and then the job will be complete.

:D
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Looking good Camel.
"2 cover if it rains," good idea. Been known to happen at Yass while cooking, ask Bimbo.

Bruce
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Been continuing today making the tool kit to go with the spit.

First up are some meat skewers, or marshmallow sticks for those so inclined, made them out of the thin 1/8th stainless rods cut off one of the stove racks that I cut up to get some 1/4 rod off and some 5/8th dowel that came out of an old cot frame. Drilled a slightly smaller hole in the end of the dowel and tapped one end of the rods into the end, then twitched some tie wire around the dowel to tighten the grip on the rods, gave the handles a touch of black spray paint.
047 meat skewers (Large).JPG
After deciding yesterday to make a big carving knife out of one of my old machetes, I drew an outline, cut around it with an angle grinder using thin cutting discs, drilled some holes for the pins, cut out some black wattle handle blanks, then pinned and glued it together.
043 Knife start (Large).JPG
044 knife glueing (Large).JPG
Still have to shape the handle and then put an edge on it and give it a bit of a polish.
045 500mm carving knife (Large).JPG
While waiting for the glue to set, I made up the handle for the dipper for when the cartridge turns up. Found some 3/8th chromed brass rod in a box of junk, it was off some sort of connecting rod, cut it in half, then dug out a stick of wood of some kind that my old man got on one of his bushwalks. Its an interesting stick, with the roots growing out of a ball on one end, then just a straight tapered stem, I believe they grow to about 6 ft high, he couldn't tell me what it was.
I drilled a 9mm hole into the end of the stick, then grabbed a fitting off a gas tap that fitted over the end of the stick and had a 10mm hole in the cap end, silver soldered the end of the brass rod in there, then glued it all together.
042 Dipper handle (Large).JPG
Also started making a big pair of tongs out of some of the 1/4 stainless rods that are bent to form the sides of the cot frame I cut up.

PTO for photo ......... :D
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

046 Big tongs (Large).JPG
they were bent to form U shapes that were spot welded onto the bars of the cot frame, I cut two bit U shapes off then bent them to roughly form a flat end, bent the two legs back to join in the middle, then added an extra length of 1/4 rod to fix the handles to., still have to join them at the end and then get a spring from somewhere to hold them open. Gotta think about that one

That's all for today. :D
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Gnomes 30mm cannon shell turned up today, now has had the primer pocket filled and the handle silver soldered onto the side of the case, polishing and oiling the handle will have to wait. Got the spring sorted for the tongs, its a bit light to do the job but they will hole onto stuff. Finished the handle of the carving knife and put an edge on it, nice steel in those Columbian machetes. No photos tonight. :D
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Thats a hole lot of good work you have done there humpy.

I hope those tongs wholed onto my roast pork on Saturday nite

I wood hate to see them not hold and my tucker end up in the dirt.