All you scope enthusiasts

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Space Cadet
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

All you scope enthusiasts

Post by Space Cadet »

After buying new tyres for the lux and having a bit of tax return left, ill be looking at buying a new scope for the 300 in the next couple months. Main reason for this is I'll be having the opportunity of stretching the legs on it a bit on the Sambars.

The criteria that I'm looking for are:

-Minimum magnification of 4x or lower because it'll still be used for stalking.

-lightweight because my little girl arms will struggle and will unbalance my setup.

-Max zoom of 12x or higher

-Some form of reliable & repeatable ballistic/target turret for elevation adjustment

-Preferably have a 50mm objective lense.

-Cost less than $2K

The first scope I looked at was the swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BT. Fits all the criteria but the 50mm objective. Still the favourite at this stage though.

Then I looked at nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50. Again, fits most of the criteria but is almost double the weight of the swaro.

And the most recent option is the Swaro Z3 4-12x50 BT. This would be perfect, but doesn't have parallax adjustment.

Is there anything out there that meets what I'm after or am I just going to have to compromise? Would be keen to hear some other options!
choppy2925
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 Ackley Hornet

Re: All you scope enthusiasts

Post by choppy2925 »

The Z3 and Z5 are great scopes. Personally I would want less on the lower end 2.5/3 max, 4 is a little too much for close shots. What distance you think you might shoot out to? I use a 3.5-10 SIII Sightron out to 600-700 no troubles. Shooting game and targets are completely different, you don't need to see their hairs on there back. I personally wouldn't go above 10 on the high end and get as low as you can on the lower end. Also the S111 is a great scope but I am not suggesting it for low light shooting it falls behind the Z series scopes, as I believe the night force does also. Cheers
Space Cadet
.17 HMR

Post by Space Cadet »

choppy2925 wrote:The Z3 and Z5 are great scopes. Personally I would want less on the lower end 2.5/3 max, 4 is a little too much for close shots. What distance you think you might shoot out to? I use a 3.5-10 SIII Sightron out to 600-700 no troubles. Shooting game and targets are completely different, you don't need to see their hairs on there back. I personally wouldn't go above 10 on the high end and get as low as you can on the lower end. Also the S111 is a great scope but I am not suggesting it for low light shooting it falls behind the Z series scopes, as I believe the night force does also. Cheers
Thanks for your advise. At this stage I have a 3-9 Leupold on it and generally walk around on 4-5 power when stalking. Shots will probably be no greater than 400m at this stage. Camel and I were watching a couple sambar last week, and looking through the leupy I must admit I would've felt more comfortable with a little more magnification if I were to be taking a shot. Given the information you've provided, what would you get if you were in the same situation?

Cheers for the help!
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Sako 22-250 »

Hi Spacie
So many options? I would say if you are going to missathon wait and check out the scopes there!
I would think most of the major scopes will be in attendance
You won't go wrong with a z3 /z5 great scopes or a zeiss ht/ hd. (I am biased euro glass fan)
If you are not planning to shoot long range I personally don't think parallax adjustment is a major issue with a quality scope
When stalking normally I have scope on 3 - 4 power ... Have found the thicker the scrub lower the power
Good luck
Mark
Last edited by Sako 22-250 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Space Cadet
.17 HMR

Post by Space Cadet »

I think that'll be the go, Sako.
When you say 'long range' in regards to parallax adjustment, what kind of distances do you classify as long range?

Cheers
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Sako 22-250 »

Hi Spacie
Long range for me 300 + (I sight my 22-250 if for 200 m) .... Once you need holdover or a bdc to hit accurately ..I don't often shoot long range others on this forum will be more help with that
Cheers Mark
Space Cadet
.17 HMR

Post by Space Cadet »

Sako 22-250 wrote:Hi Spacie
Long range for me 300 + (I sight my 22-250 if for 200 m) .... Once you need holdover or a bdc to hit accurately
Cheers Mark
Yeah okay. I'd potentially be reaching out to 400m plus which is why I'm a bit concerned over the Z3.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

I just got a Sightron V-Tac 2.5-17.5x56 for my 223 and its seems good so far, havent had a lot of time behind it yet.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Seddo wrote:I just got a Sightron V-Tac 2.5-17.5x56 for my 223 and its seems good so far, havent had a lot of time behind it yet.
S-Tac?
I LOVE my S-Tac such an awesome scope especially for the money!
Space Cadet
.17 HMR

Post by Space Cadet »

Seddo wrote:I just got a Sightron V-Tac 2.5-17.5x56 for my 223 and its seems good so far, havent had a lot of time behind it yet.
kjd wrote:
S-Tac?
Farkin big and heavy for a lightweight rifle though.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Space Cadet wrote:
kjd wrote:
S-Tac?
Well yeah but I guess we don't have spaghetti arms haha. In all seriousness though it's a top scope but more of a LR/tactical scope so it is going to be big but the weight you wouldn't notice it over any other scope when mounted to a rifle.
Space Cadet
.17 HMR

Post by Space Cadet »

kjd wrote:
Space Cadet wrote:
kjd wrote:
S-Tac?
Well yeah but I guess we don't have spaghetti arms haha. .
It's no fun lugging a heavy setup up hill and down dale. Not all of us can shoot deer in paddocks [WINKING FACE]
In all seriousness though, it's around double the weight of the Swaro's and not what I'm after.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Space Cadet wrote:
kjd wrote:
Space Cadet wrote:
kjd wrote:
S-Tac?
Well yeah but I guess we don't have spaghetti arms haha. .
It's no fun lugging a heavy setup up hill and down dale. Not all of us can shoot deer in paddocks [WINKING FACE]
In all seriousness though, it's around double the weight of the Swaro's and not what I'm after.
Pretty simple then.. If it doesn't suit your needs don't buy it.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

kjd wrote:
S-Tac?
Yes mate, i meant S Tac, my brain wasn't talking to my fingers.

I don't do the light weight rifle thing so i cant comment, eat more wheeties!!.

Whats with the double posts???
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Seddo wrote:
kjd wrote:
S-Tac?
Yes mate, i meant S Tac, my brain wasn't talking to my fingers.

I don't do the light weight rifle thing so i cant comment, eat more wheeties!!.

Whats with the double posts???
You mustn't be an elitist "stalker" either then!