Best Long range scope but can also do short distance

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
pugster1k
Favourite Cartridge: .22LR

Best Long range scope but can also do short distance

Post by pugster1k »

Looking at getting a varmint rifle but am a tad confused to the scope I need.
I am looking at doing long range shooting/hunting but also want to use it close range.

The questions I have are;

1. Would I be best to get a long range scope and then take it off for closer ranges and use the sights?
2. If not can you suggest anything?
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: Best Long range scope but can also do short distance

Post by The Raven »

I wouldn't recommend fitting/removing scopes on a regular basis, although it can be done. Sounds like you are looking for a variable magnification scope. There's a million choices but I'd start with considering how close/far you intend to shoot, that will narrow down the magnification ranges.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Sightron STAC 2.5-17.5x56 I have one it's awesome.
Space Cadet
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Space Cadet »

What's your budget? And do you care about size/weight?
pugster1k

Post by pugster1k »

Thank you for that. I am guessing you dont change them because its wear and tear on the scope/rifle?
Distance: 30m upto 1000m - is this to broad?

Thank you for the recommondation I will check it out.

For size/weight - I dont want something really heavy and am I correct in thinking it will reflect on size of the scope?

I want a scope that is durable and is very clear but without the price tag of $1500.. Is this enough for a scope as I've read you should spend as much money on it as the rifle..

My other question then is $1500 enough for a good accurate rifle?
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

pugster1k wrote:Thank you for that. I am guessing you dont change them because its wear and tear on the scope/rifle?
Distance: 30m upto 1000m - is this to broad?

Thank you for the recommondation I will check it out.

For size/weight - I dont want something really heavy and am I correct in thinking it will reflect on size of the scope?

I want a scope that is durable and is very clear but without the price tag of $1500.. Is this enough for a scope as I've read you should spend as much money on it as the rifle..

My other question then is $1500 enough for a good accurate rifle?
A scope suitable for 1000m is probably going to struggle coming down to 30m. There's a fair bit of adjustment required changing from very short to extremely long range for any scope. Most scopes (generalising) aren't used below 50m. However, most long range scopes will do 100m with ease.

Long range scopes (1000m) will generally dictate a 30mm main tube with a 50mm (or more) objective (front lens). Larger objectives mean larger lenses, which adds to weight.

$1500 should get you a very nice scope. The main thing to ensure is that you get a scope that works for YOU and suits YOUR eyes. How much you spend is open to you, I wouldn't want to say you MUST have a $1500 scope.

$1500 should get you a good name brand rifle. Accuracy will come down to many factors...
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Can of worms time. Yes you can get an accurate rifle for fifteen hundred and there are scopes at that money and below that will meet your criteria .
My question is what you plan to shoot at 1k ?
This is important as the target/game may dictate calibre/projectile and or magnification requirements.
Shooting 1k is not magic but requires some dedicated practice and knowledge and sometimes luck.
If we have some more info we will make better suggestions tailored to your needs.
Cheers
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

macca wrote:Can of worms time. Yes you can get an accurate rifle for fifteen hundred and there are scopes at that money and below that will meet your criteria .
My question is what you plan to shoot at 1k ?
This is important as the target/game may dictate calibre/projectile and or magnification requirements.
Shooting 1k is not magic but requires some dedicated practice and knowledge and sometimes luck.
If we have some more info we will make better suggestions tailored to your needs.
Cheers
This is very good advice well said Macca
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

When you aren't new you will realise the 1000yds is a long long way out. The guys that do it in comps have rifles and scopes set up specifically for the purpose that do nothing else.

In the field, there are a few members here that have the equipment and skill to shoot to that distance.

Most of us may have a crack at a gong at an event like the missedathon at 1000yds where if you hit or miss it doesn't matter but we are unlikely to try to torture (and I use the word with consideration) an animal at that distance.

You have just asked the equivalent question of "can you recommend a good car to pick up the groceries in that I can use in Formula one too"

If you spend 1500 on a scope it will be a scope you will keep forever, just upgrade the bang stick under it from time to time!
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

it would be good to know your skill level and what you intend to shoot at 1000y so we

can recommend an optic suitable , ie just paper goat pig or deer sized targets and what

caliber you intend using would also help .

you will have to be proficient at 200m 500m and so on before you start poking holes in

an animal at 1000m .....
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

kjd wrote:Sightron STAC 2.5-17.5x56 I have one it's awesome.
I fitted one to my 223 a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to sight it in yet. Great looking scope with good mag range. Most of my other rifle shave 6-24x50 scopes so they are not great up close.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Only shot a 22lr, thinking you are new to shooting, well forget all about this long range stuff until you have learned how to shoot in general. Small steps are the way to go. What licence do you hold ? Go visit a range if you can, check out some of the gear others are using, maybe even have a shot if you can. You still have lots to learn before you can be proficient at shooting long range. Don't listen to those that say its easy.
pugster1k

Post by pugster1k »

Camel wrote:Only shot a 22lr, thinking you are new to shooting, well forget all about this long range stuff until you have learned how to shoot in general. Small steps are the way to go. What licence do you hold ? Go visit a range if you can, check out some of the gear others are using, maybe even have a shot if you can. You still have lots to learn before you can be proficient at shooting long range. Don't listen to those that say its easy.
Thank you for the advice. As a lot of you said .22 lr is the way to go and I will look into what kinds. I am totally forgetting about the 1000yrds and focusing on hitting the target at certain yrds first i.e. 50, 100,300 etc
Seddo wrote:
kjd wrote:Sightron STAC 2.5-17.5x56 I have one it's awesome.
I fitted one to my 223 a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to sight it in yet. Great looking scope with good mag range. Most of my other rifle shave 6-24x50 scopes so they are not great up close.
Looks like a lovely scope indeed, cannot wait to own one "one day" ha-ha.. Baby steps for me :-).
deye223 wrote:it would be good to know your skill level and what you intend to shoot at 1000y so we

can recommend an optic suitable , ie just paper goat pig or deer sized targets and what

caliber you intend using would also help .

you will have to be proficient at 200m 500m and so on before you start poking holes in

an animal at 1000m .....

Skill level atm - have not shot since I was 17 and I am now 30 - so I guess its out the window.. I hold a A/B licence. I want to shoot targets "paper" and then pigs and rabbits
trevort wrote:When you aren't new you will realise the 1000yds is a long long way out. The guys that do it in comps have rifles and scopes set up specifically for the purpose that do nothing else.

In the field, there are a few members here that have the equipment and skill to shoot to that distance.

Most of us may have a crack at a gong at an event like the missedathon at 1000yds where if you hit or miss it doesn't matter but we are unlikely to try to torture (and I use the word with consideration) an animal at that distance.

You have just asked the equivalent question of "can you recommend a good car to pick up the groceries in that I can use in Formula one too"

If you spend 1500 on a scope it will be a scope you will keep forever, just upgrade the bang stick under it from time to time!
'

Thanks for the adivce and sorry for all the silly questions but I am now understanding I need to start at the .22 and work on small yardage and then if I want maybe move up to 1000yrds "will take a while and a lot of practice"
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

its not that hard to hit the target at a 100yd benchrest match with the right equipment and a little bit of tuition,
Even I can do it

Its a whole different ball game putting all the shots together into a group small enough to be competitive. Thats were skill comes in, not just at reading the wind and pulling the trigger but in all the fine tuning you do to make consistent ammo

Your bullet is dropping as soon as it leaves the barrel and the wind is pushing it off course sideways, At the range there are flags letting you judge the wind, there ar sighter targets to get you on paper and you scope is already dialled in for the elevation taking the guesswork out of the "drop" to get on paper. If the wind changes and comes at you your pill slows down and hits lower,
if it turns and comes in over your shoulder then it assists the pill retain a little more velocity so your POI will be a little higher on the target. I know the theory, I wasn;t that good at reading the wind!!

If you are using a hunting rifle in the field there are no wind flags, you need a range finder to tell you if the rabbit is at 300m or 400m as there are inches of bullet drop over that extra 100m unless you are really good at estimation. If you have a wind reader you can tell how fast its moving and hope its going the same speed out near the target as it is near you.

Velocity and ballistic coefficient are what you start talking about. And then you can decide that 400yds is a long shot (it really is) and if you go for as fast and flat as you can you take out some level of the variables and ......

I could go on, Its more fun putting the puzzle together for your self BEFORE spending too much money. As many of us will tell you, the first guns we bought don't always end up as the right guns for what we end up wanting to do.

A good quality 22 with a 3x9 rimfire scope (Johno just reviewed one) will ALWAYS stay in your safe.

Then, if we haven't convinced you that loading your own and 20 cals are mandatory for a happy and contented life then you can buy a 223 or 22/250 :D :D :D :D
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

and I forgot to say read some of SA Feral Shooters posts and watch his videos as he knows a fair bit about long range rabbits (most of us think over 250m is long range on bunnies)