Which GPS?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Which GPS?

Post by lowndsie »

What's everyone using when required to carry one?
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: Which GPS?

Post by The Raven »

When are you 'required' to carry one?
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

The Raven wrote:When are you 'required' to carry one?
Hunting in NSW State Forests.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Ok. But what's the point beyond knowing where you are?

Not trying to be flippant...
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Marking hotspots, looking for likely areas etc etc..
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

The Raven wrote:Ok. But what's the point beyond knowing where you are?

It is a requirement by the NSW Govt so you can see the areas you are and aren't supposed to hunt.

Plus marking waypoints of where camp is(haha) and where you spot sign or potential hunting spots.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

I use a Garmin Astro and the smart phone app. If it's NSW were talking about the smartphone PDF maps have so much more detail it's not funny but sometimes my phone will struggle for signal when the GPS will still get signal.

Cheers,
Waldo
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Raven I got completely bushed in a 1klm by 1klm square heavily forested bush block once. Think your going in a straight line and two hours later come out on the other side than the one you intended. And it wasn't just me being a nong, two mates were with me.

I'm not going into an SF after deer until I have a GPS just so I know the way back to the car.

So I have a $100 Westfield voucher and thought aussie disposals might sell gps or some other shop in Westfield so keen to know what one to buy and whether to buy online and keep that voucher for something else
Croaky
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by Croaky »

I use a Garmin 62s, good screen easy to operate and hasn't ever failed to log on even
in some very shitty locations. There is a new model out now 64 I think that may be even
better. Most Garmin products work well.
Cheers
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

kjd wrote:

It is a requirement by the NSW Govt so you can see the areas you are and aren't supposed to hunt.

Plus marking waypoints of where camp is(haha) and where you spot sign or potential hunting spots.

OK, knowing you're in an approved area makes sense but only if you know where the boundaries are. Does the NSW govt have an app to help clear up where you are relevant to local hunting areas?

Vic has one but it isn't as clear as I'd like it. I'd much prefer them showing a decent map, with the 'zones' clearly marked, along with your position.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

trevort wrote:Raven I got completely bushed in a 1klm by 1klm square heavily forested bush block once. Think your going in a straight line and two hours later come out on the other side than the one you intended. And it wasn't just me being a nong, two mates were with me.

I'm not going into an SF after deer until I have a GPS just so I know the way back to the car.

So I have a $100 Westfield voucher and thought aussie disposals might sell gps or some other shop in Westfield so keen to know what one to buy and whether to buy online and keep that voucher for something else
Fully understand getting lost Trevor. I haven't been out wandering around enough to get lost but I do like using a GPS app that tracks my path, records waypoints etc, even works out in the bay for waypointing fishing spots. Of course, GPS tends to eat iPhone batteries but it's a matter of knowing when to turn it on/off (as opposed to leaving it on at the campsite :roll:)
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

The Raven wrote:
kjd wrote:

OK, knowing you're in an approved area makes sense but only if you know where the boundaries are. Does the NSW govt have an app to help clear up where you are relevant to local hunting areas?

Vic has one but it isn't as clear as I'd like it. I'd much prefer them showing a decent map, with the 'zones' clearly marked, along with your position.
Yes it does mate.
image.jpg
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

The above is zoomed in but green is ok to hunt, white is private property and then there is pink/red which are exclusion zones.