Life-Camera-Action-Garmin-VIRB

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Life-Camera-Action-Garmin-VIRB

Post by LoneRider »

kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: Life-Camera-Action-Garmin-VIRB

Post by kjd »

GoPro are still the gold standard mate they are still providing the best quality video out of the lot of these action camps
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

They make good UHF radios and GPS units, didn't know they made cameras.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Quite a range of accessories. They've obviously thought of a wide range of sports/applications.
nate
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by nate »

kjd wrote:GoPro are still the gold standard mate they are still providing the best quality video out of the lot of these action camps
hmmm yeah but at a very premium price.
There are a LOT of others doing exactly the same quality at MUCH less price.

Techmoan on youtube is probably the best resource:
Mobius for size: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1 ... B8&index=1
SJCam M10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tMhb4t ... 7F0C9FDC91

I've been doing this for about 6years on my bicycle - so well & truly across all the options.
I currently run a pair of Mobius with some "Rhino tape" (ebay) for waterproofing. Alternatively you can use a tic-tac box.

Grab a mobius $80 & some magnets & just pop it on the barrel = done.
Most cheap brands are gopro compatible too - so all teh mounts are interchangeable.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Ahh I don't think so mate. The current Go Pro does 1080P 60FPS and 4k at 30fps let's not even get into low light and sensor quality.

It's all well and good to say hey this does 1080p and it's as good but not all 1080p cameras are the same and resolution isn't the only factor when it comes to buying any camera.

So whilst you can get a 1080p camera for cheaper the sole fact that it is 1080p does not make it equal to a GoPro or any other premium camera.

If that logic was the case why do film crews use high end professional gear and use Go Pros in shows like Mythbusters?
Don't you think production company's would use cheaper tea if it was as good?

Then you have every review from major tech sites and newspapers calling the GoPro the gold standard and that is for good reason.

Whilst I'll concede that GoPro adds it's brand name into the price it is the best action camera on the market today and has been for years and you aren't just paying for the brand you are paying for a superior product to every other action camera that is out there.

Edited to add:
I'd be reluctant to add anything via magnets to my barrel for fear of shifting the POI and all of these action cameras are useless for shooting with a rifle as they do not have the magnification to see critters clearly at 50m+
fenring

Post by fenring »

The cylindrical Replay XD's can be mounted just about anywhere.
nate
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by nate »

Sorry mate - but as I said i've been all over these for many many years. Imported quite a few from china & also had a little hobby business making mounts for them.

Magnets & barrel - was thinking shotty stuff, as you said for rifle - the lenses are typically far too wide.

few points...
"Professional" reviews (magazines etc) - ever seen an issue of Motor that doesnt have a holden/ford on the cover? Chris Harris nailed it here: http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins. Magazines run on $ & need advertising - so i'd use a cautious approach when lookin at reviews. Websites could be good depending.

As for 4k & high specs - yes of course, if you're pushing the edge of the envelope - the law of diminishing returns applies. but if we're talking solid, quality 1080p - thats a VERY different story.

Mythbusters/shows - "here's a heap of free camera gear & support, please use our cameras on your TV shows", same as sponsored athletes & such. Is red bull really such a great drink?

The gopro's got a good jump on the market - they were the first with a full setup of mounts, high quality waterproof cases & other accessories by a few years. So they got a massive following & market penetration.
However everything slowly trickles down - its all made in china stuff, so there's many copies with the same form factor & you can barely buy an action camera that isnt "gopro" compatible with mounts!

Something like the mobius/808 cameras has been the defacto standard for all RC Heli/drone setups for a while & has had SOLID development work & software work on it.

If you're in the market for a 1080p camera then watch the reviews like techmoan, search youtube for CameraX vs GoPro & get up to speed on what is actually available & how it performs.
There's always some tweaking possible too - i.e. you could setup the gopro to perform poorly in the test & fiddle with exposure values, so watch a couple.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

We'll have to agree to disagree Nate.