Predator Call comparisons?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Dutchy357
Favourite Cartridge: 222 Rem

Predator Call comparisons?

Post by Dutchy357 »

Hi Guys

I am seeking some information on Predator Calls.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but the search feature hasn't helped me locate any previous threads.

I know everyone seems to have their favorites.

I have used the old Button whistle for many years and recently set up an MP3 player with some predator calls. Used the MP3 player twice and got a fox first time.

Has anyone ever sat down and done a comparison of the different calls and systems?

Hope you can help.

Dutchy
Last edited by Dutchy357 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Re: Predator Call comparisons?

Post by Waldo »

Probably haven't done enough to really comment, but hey who cares?

We used to use a button whistle with a little success many years ago. In more recent history on random occasions whenever I tried the button it never worked so I grabbed a Nordic Predator Pre-tuned. Used it on a couple of occasions when I had already spotted a fox one of which we had already spooked over a ridge but it still came back and it worked a treat. But try as I might I couldn't bring a fox in unless I had already seen it, it is very loud though and sounds OK to me?

Used the button a couple of weeks back to bring one in that I spotted.

Had thought about one of the electronic gizmos but don't chase foxes often enough to warrant it.

Mmm, that hasn't really helped has it? I guess one caller will not work on all occasions so a mixture is probably the best effort, I suppose the elctronic gizmo might solve that issue if you cycle thru a few calls?

Interested to hear the dedicated fox hunters opinions.

Cheers,
Waldo
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Post by Vermingone »

I use a mixture of hand calls Tenterfield and various replicas along with mouse squeakers and occasionally the Fox on heat call thru my speakers mounted behind my front bumper. All work you just need find out what they're coming to.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

I have only used a button whistle, I use it to get the fox or cat to stop and have a quick look at the noise, then if I am quick enough with the shot, they don't get another chance.

I have thought of putting a speaker on the roof of the ute and getting a recorded calling system, but I keep having thoughts of those Huey choppers flying in Vietnam playing the Cry of the Valcries (not sure on spelling). I love the smell of napalm in the morning. :twisted: :lol:
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Post by dashooter »

Camel wrote:I have only used a button whistle, I use it to get the fox or cat to stop and have a quick look at the noise, then if I am quick enough with the shot, they don't get another chance.

I have thought of putting a speaker on the roof of the ute and getting a recorded calling system, but I keep having thoughts of those Huey choppers flying in Vietnam playing the Cry of the Valcries (not sure on spelling). I love the smell of napalm in the morning. :twisted: :lol:
Go on Camel. You can do it. You know you want to 8)
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I have been using an open reed caller since I got the chop bone a few years back.This one is a Predatek and seems to go alright.I have used an App on my Iphone with little success BUT I have been looking at an Icotec electronic caller.I can see a big advantage in being able to set the caller up a distance from you so the Foxes attention is on it as a source of the sound rather than on you.
vicfox
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 17 HMR

Post by vicfox »

There is a distinct advantage being able to place a caller away from you to draw the attent away from yourself as well ashaving the choice of sounds to mix up.
I RATE THE Tenterfield AS THE BEST MOUTH CALL AND MIXING THE ELECTRONIC CALL AND THE TENTERFIELD IS IT IDEAL COMBINATION IN MY OPPINION

kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

MISSED wrote:I have been using an open reed caller since I got the chop bone a few years back.This one is a Predatek and seems to go alright.I have used an App on my Iphone with little success BUT I have been looking at an Icotec electronic caller.I can see a big advantage in being able to set the caller up a distance from you so the Foxes attention is on it as a source of the sound rather than on you.
Would you like to trial mine?
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

vicfox wrote:There is a distinct advantage being able to place a caller away from you to draw the attent away from yourself as well ashaving the choice of sounds to mix up.
I RATE THE Tenterfield AS THE BEST MOUTH CALL AND MIXING THE ELECTRONIC CALL AND THE TENTERFIELD IS IT IDEAL COMBINATION IN MY OPPINION

Well i did it again I clicked on the link in the bottom of your post and lost anothe rhour watching your videos.Great veiwing

Kickinhimintheback that sounds like a top idea
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Missed,
Ummm your not the only one :oops:
Dutchy357
Favourite Cartridge: 222 Rem

Post by Dutchy357 »

vicfox wrote:There is a distinct advantage being able to place a caller away from you to draw the attent away from yourself as well ashaving the choice of sounds to mix up.
Thanks vicfox!

Do you use a commercial or home made Tenterfield?

I do set my electronic caller to the front of my position. However, I can see a weakness in my electronic caller. I just have an MP3 player with built in speakers. I doubt it has the output that your unit does! I can hear it from 10 metres OK but I am beginning to wonder if a fox will pick it up 300-400 metres (or more) out!

Great video footage by the way.

I'll have to set up my son's Contour camera on my rifle.

Dutchy
Ol 55
.308 Winchester

Post by Ol 55 »

I have tried a few button, Tenterfield, chop bone etc. I have faith in my Icotec gc 500 programmable and I have called crows in from far away also have had wild dogs answer calls from it. Haven't give it a go on the foxes but I think it would work.
Ol 55
Attachments
Icotec crows.JPG
Icotec crows.JPG (138.47 KiB) Viewed 295 times