bore sighting tools

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

bore sighting tools

Post by LoneRider »

has anyone used these cartridge shaped laser bore sighters ?
are they any good or a waste of money ?
what do you use ?

regards
sean.
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Re: bore sighting tools

Post by JasonF »

Waste of money IMO.

If you need more precise aiming when bore sighting, just drill out the primer pocket on an old case and sight down the bore through the case.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

waste of money I reckon. I just set up a target at 50m and set the rifle in a rest. Looking down the bore move the rifle til you can see the target then move the scope onto the same point. Then start shooting, usually only a few shots till it is on the money.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

JasonF wrote:Waste of money IMO.

If you need more precise aiming when bore sighting, just drill out the primer pocket on an old case and sight down the bore through the case.
damn good idea
V|PeR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Post by V|PeR »

best tool you have is your eyes. i do it at about 10m first and then take it to the range to check at 50m and shoot it. Seems to work for me.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

bimbo wrote:waste of money I reckon. I just set up a target at 50m and set the rifle in a rest. Looking down the bore move the rifle til you can see the target then move the scope onto the same point. Then start shooting, usually only a few shots till it is on the money.

I do it very similar to this, only I do it in the back yard which is only 30m, first shots are at around 25 m, get them printing about an inch low, then move out to 100, can usually get it pretty close with 1 or 2 shots.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

LoneRider wrote:has anyone used these cartridge shaped laser bore sighters ?
are they any good or a waste of money ?
what do you use ?

regards
sean.
I haven't used any of the cartridge type lasers but I've used the basic laser bore sighter that goes into the muzzle end of the barrel (with suitable arbor). My cheap laser sighter has a less than perfectly round laser dot and wouldn't be much good beyond getting on paper.

So, provided you are only using these laser bore sighters for "getting on paper" tasks they are fine. Beyond that they aren't much use. FWIW I paid around $20 for mine....it does the job and didn't break the bank like some bling expensive models.
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

thanks guys.
thats what i thought.

i have a drilled case for the 303,i didnt think about one for the 308.silly me. :oops:
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

For what they are worth get yourself a collimator and keep it in your kit bag.

Most of my rifles are now tracked with the collimator and I can be on the mark at 200 and change between scopes without any issue.

Laser sighters are just a gimmick.
Jock
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .17HMR

Post by Jock »

I just sight mine thru the barrel with the bolt removed, down the hall way, sighting a fluoro tennis ball.

This is enough to get on paper at the range and then go from there. :auto:
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

easy one.. like others mentioned I do similar. I set target up at 100m usually a A4 paper with a few dots. I set the rifle up, look down bore so target nice and centred, then wind scope to target. This is where I go a little different, doesn't work real well with big kickers as need to see the fall of shot. I just aim into the dirt beside the target, pull the trigger and watch where it lands. I then do the hold original aiming point and with the rifle steady wind the scope to the fall of shot. Then I am well and truly on the A4 at 100m, and don't have to go walkies to move the target! usually takes 3-4 shots and the rifle is good to go!
aushunter
Favourite Cartridge: 50bmg

Post by aushunter »

With practice, it's amazing how close to zero one can get looking down the bore.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

I have one......used it once. Use the same method as everyone else here describes. It works well, I am usually on paper first shot and all done in under 5 shots. The "laser bullet" I got cost $110 dollars and to be properly used, you have to carry around a sheet of paper with 3 pre drawn dots on it. Oh and you have have the rifle zeroed before using it.......The laser is not centred so in order to use it, you have to rotate the "bullet" 3 times to match up to the dots on paper. It is apparently good for checking zero without shooting but IMO takes longer to set up than "looking down the bore".
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I have found like others said, decent bore sight keep the rifle still centre the target through the bore and get the scope windage right and then elevation. Usually on first go.

I often boresight in the garage at 10m and find I am very close when boresighting at the range.

Boresighting a Martini without the action drilled now that is challenge :)

I did it by getting it tight in the rest and bags and then finding something to aim at that was repeatable through the bore and the old scope. Then carefully removed the old scope new one on...carefully carefully. Then adjusting to be pointing at the same point the old scope was. Check the bore hadn't moved much.

I did this and first shot was 1"inch high and dead on 8) Got lucky but I am thinking a A3 in the garage could be used to refrence all zeros on my rifles incase I have to do a scope change.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day all,
Using a good solid setup with a rest and bags (a bipod and bag can work well too) I line up the top left corner of my target frame with the centre of the bore, then wind the cross hairs to the same corner of the target frame. I made my frame to fit 4 A4 targets taped 2 across x 2 down to the frame and aim where all 4 target corners meet in the centre means I can clearly see the first shot on paper.
Go back to the centre aim point and wind the cross hairs to the bullet hole.
You will be nearly zero'd just refine from there, it usually only takes a few shots to get a good workable zero.
Cheerio Ned