Best Long range scope but can also do short distance

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
pugster1k
Favourite Cartridge: .22LR

Re: Best Long range scope but can also do short distance

Post by pugster1k »

trevort wrote:its not that hard to hit the target at a 100yd benchrest match with the right equipment and a little bit of tuition,
Even I can do it

Its a whole different ball game putting all the shots together into a group small enough to be competitive. Thats were skill comes in, not just at reading the wind and pulling the trigger but in all the fine tuning you do to make consistent ammo

Your bullet is dropping as soon as it leaves the barrel and the wind is pushing it off course sideways, At the range there are flags letting you judge the wind, there ar sighter targets to get you on paper and you scope is already dialled in for the elevation taking the guesswork out of the "drop" to get on paper. If the wind changes and comes at you your pill slows down and hits lower,
if it turns and comes in over your shoulder then it assists the pill retain a little more velocity so your POI will be a little higher on the target. I know the theory, I wasn;t that good at reading the wind!!

If you are using a hunting rifle in the field there are no wind flags, you need a range finder to tell you if the rabbit is at 300m or 400m as there are inches of bullet drop over that extra 100m unless you are really good at estimation. If you have a wind reader you can tell how fast its moving and hope its going the same speed out near the target as it is near you.

Velocity and ballistic coefficient are what you start talking about. And then you can decide that 400yds is a long shot (it really is) and if you go for as fast and flat as you can you take out some level of the variables and ......

I could go on, Its more fun putting the puzzle together for your self BEFORE spending too much money. As many of us will tell you, the first guns we bought don't always end up as the right guns for what we end up wanting to do.

A good quality 22 with a 3x9 rimfire scope (Johno just reviewed one) will ALWAYS stay in your safe.

Then, if we haven't convinced you that loading your own and 20 cals are mandatory for a happy and contented life then you can buy a 223 or 22/250 :D :D :D :D
A lot to learn and I am excited. It also makes sense about buying your first rifle and then it might not be for you as things change but owning a good .22 w/ 3x9 rimfire scope is my best option atm. I will also check Johno's review out and look at Sa Feral shooters posts. Thanks
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

dont know if you noticed the typo, 1000yd, not 100!!!

sorry
pugster1k

Post by pugster1k »

trevort wrote:dont know if you noticed the typo, 1000yd, not 100!!!

sorry
I thought you meant 1000yrds :-)
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

trevort wrote:its not that hard to hit the target at a 100yd benchrest match with the right equipment and a little bit of tuition,
Even I can do it

Its a whole different ball game putting all the shots together into a group small enough to be competitive. Thats were skill comes in, not just at reading the wind and pulling the trigger but in all the fine tuning you do to make consistent ammo

Your bullet is dropping as soon as it leaves the barrel and the wind is pushing it off course sideways, At the range there are flags letting you judge the wind, there ar sighter targets to get you on paper and you scope is already dialled in for the elevation taking the guesswork out of the "drop" to get on paper. If the wind changes and comes at you your pill slows down and hits lower,
if it turns and comes in over your shoulder then it assists the pill retain a little more velocity so your POI will be a little higher on the target. I know the theory, I wasn;t that good at reading the wind!!

If you are using a hunting rifle in the field there are no wind flags, you need a range finder to tell you if the rabbit is at 300m or 400m as there are inches of bullet drop over that extra 100m unless you are really good at estimation. If you have a wind reader you can tell how fast its moving and hope its going the same speed out near the target as it is near you.

Velocity and ballistic coefficient are what you start talking about. And then you can decide that 400yds is a long shot (it really is) and if you go for as fast and flat as you can you take out some level of the variables and ......

I could go on, Its more fun putting the puzzle together for your self BEFORE spending too much money. As many of us will tell you, the first guns we bought don't always end up as the right guns for what we end up wanting to do.

A good quality 22 with a 3x9 rimfire scope (Johno just reviewed one) will ALWAYS stay in your safe.

Then, if we haven't convinced you that loading your own and 20 cals are mandatory for a happy and contented life then you can buy a 223 or 22/250 :D :D :D :D
to much technical crap too soon will just put a new shooter off.
ease it back a notch.
let him learn to shoot first,ay.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

well duh Sean that was the point. The more questions he asks and the deeper we get the less sense it will make until you actually start doing it. I was illustrating the point

and I recommended he buy a 22 and come to the Missedathon
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

trevort wrote:well duh Sean that was the point. The more questions he asks and the deeper we get the less sense it will make until you actually start doing it. I was illustrating the point

bugger that if he go's to one of them he will get back and be $20 000 in the shit in a couple a months :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Yes the terminology is "purchase mentoring"
pugster1k

Post by pugster1k »

deye223 wrote:
trevort wrote:well duh Sean that was the point. The more questions he asks and the deeper we get the less sense it will make until you actually start doing it. I was illustrating the point

bugger that if he go's to one of them he will get back and be $20 000 in the shit in a couple a months :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am intrigued as to why I would be 20k in the shit?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

pugster1k wrote:
deye223 wrote:

I am intrigued as to why I would be 20k in the shit?

Yeah, I am as well, you should be able to spend way more than that on several new rifle builds. :twisted: