Car door mounted rifle rest

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Jeff 8
.22 WMR

Car door mounted rifle rest

Post by Jeff 8 »

I was in a sports store the other day when I saw a car door mounted rifle rest, it fitted like a caravan mirror. I want to build one but need ideas, so who has used one and what was good or bad?

Also how do you store your rifles while shooting from the car when not shooting?

Jeff

:rifle2: :rifle:
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Car door mounted rifle rest

Post by MISSED »

Jeff 8,I havent a door rest but I use a full zippered gun bag and lay It across the dash when going up a steep bit ie creek bank you can easily hold it with your free hand :roll:
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Hi Jeff 8, I use a door rest(big iron).It works well and if set up correctly gives a stable rest.Some blokes have complained about them when trying to angle the rifle up and down but I haven't had a lot of trouble with mine as I tend to move around the seat to compensate for this.
7mmMag made his own and it was as good if not better then the bought ones.
You need a stable top bar with a lot of padding(taped on foam is good).A couple of blokes have modified the bottom so it has a bolt and thread rather then the plastic clip(stronger and less chance of movement).
Make sure the bottom bar against the vehicle is really well padded or you will end up with some severe scratching.
I think it needs some adjustments if more then one shooter uses it.I have mine lower then when taller blokes use it.
If you have some scrap metal make a protoype and experiment.
Good luck,
Macca
crowbuster

Post by crowbuster »

I used one a lot when spotlighting foxes & they are indispensible for a steady shot I reckon. Mine was similar to the Big Iron models and the only modification I made to it was to stick some felt on the metal hook where it contacted the car door to prevent damage to the paint.

I also used a Rugged Gear stand mounted on the passenger side floor to hold the rifles while I drove. They work well and hold your guns securely & safely.
CB
paz
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by paz »

Mate of mine bought a rest like the big iron, clips onto door but bit harsh on window rubbers. I used it as a guide and made another 4, two for him(he supplied some material as well) two for me, made the top bar a bit longer and used pool noodles i bought from clark rubber that had a 3/4" hole up the guts. Bloody perfect. Will post some picks tomoz if i remember.

Paz
Bullcat

Post by Bullcat »

Mate, I`ve got one and wouldnt be without it. It should be somewhere near the top of the list of "must-have`s". They`re around $99 to buy and I`ve seen them as low as $79 to buy. For that price, its not worth friggin around making one.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Can always go the Pool Noodle slit down one side and slid over the window wound down. Then just adjust for elevation. Got this tip from here and used it last trip, works great heaps better than nothing but a good rest outside the window a bit would be better.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

I use a big iron door rest (except when mel pinches it) and it works a treat out here in the flat stuff. I have used it down in the southern flinders and it was a PITA in the steeper parts mainly for shooting down int a steep gully. Agree with bullcat it is a must have especially in the flat country. If you have lots of ridges and gullies to shoot down into I probably wouldnt bother.

As for storage while shooting I leave the 223 accros the dash in the cruiser (i have a procedures folder that helps keep it in place) and have the muzzle pointing towards the drivers side. If i am not driving then it is in my hands the whole time. When I am out chasing camels i store the 30-06 between the drivers seat and the transmission tunnel with the muzzle pointed to the floor while shooting and in a padded bag behind the drivers seat or hung from the cargo barrier with occy straps while driving.
Jeff 8
.22 WMR

Post by Jeff 8 »

Thanks guys,

Hope to see the pics.

Questions about the Big Iron, are they adjustable and do they mark the door?

Jeff

:rifle2: :rifle:
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

yes they are adjustable (the new model anyway) and no they dont mark the door, though you need to be careful around the window trim
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

Saw a home made version of this

and these on the weekend

they seemed to work very well- there was a strap that went down the inside of the door and tied onto the inside hand grip to stop the bags falling out onto the ground.

I use a sandbag but filled with injection molding beans to form a window mount

It enables me to have a steady rest and get good angle up and down.
if I need more up angle I just raise the window a bit.

Use a pool noodle under the bag so It stops the bag being sectioned by the sharp edge of the window- and if the target moves you still have to pool noodle to rest on

later
p
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

I have used the window before but found it a PITA becasue it was too close to me. I found that the side mirrors where a good height and distance for me. If i did a bit of shooting i would probably buy one of the big iron rests or make soething similar.
siacci

Post by siacci »

I have the big iron shooting rest. Get one. I think its shit hot.. It did mark the door where it hooks in on the top. I dont really care much about the marks but when I use in my brothers 100 series I pad it. One of the better gifts from my wife....

Dave
paz
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by paz »

Finally a pic of my home made rest, hasn't been adjusted for the cruiser yet. Spent most of the day putting remote spotty mount in the roof and swing out tyre carrier so i can carry two spares.

Paz
Attachments
129.jpg