Ted’s knife thread

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 358ME

Re: Ted’s knife thread

Post by deermasterhunter »

daisy wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:08 pm
deermasterhunter wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:30 pm Hoping to get to 200 before I die.
Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you never know Daisy. :wink: :wink:
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

Doing this knife from wrought iron and 5160 steel. It's been a real PITA and should have taken photos along the way but forgot Anyway here it is now ready for a handle. I'm going to use some Bimble box burl stabilized with a dash of red at the front.
Might remember to take some photos when its finished :lol:
Attachments
Wrought iron and 5160.JPG
Wrought and 5160.JPG
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Interesting concept with wrought iron. I take it the handle
Is all wrought iron. Could it be prone to bending by as it’s not hardened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

trevort wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:31 pm Interesting concept with wrought iron. I take it the handle
Is all wrought iron. Could it be prone to bending by as it’s not hardened?

No Trev it has a 5160 piece right through the whole knife with wrought iron on the outside. Don't ask me how it was made as a good mate, That I give a bit of stuff to made it and sent me the rough blank. All I had to do was swear and curse while straightening it and getting it reasonable and then more swearing while grinding the bloody thing to get it reasonably flat. I ended up with a tapered tang at the handle end as it was thinner there so used that to my advantage. I then ground it and dipped in ferric chloride and then coffee. It seems to be well up in the rockwell scale as my RC files tell me its well over 55 and close to 60. That naturally is the core. I have a set of scales here I just cut and ground for it and will fit one tomorrow before going to work on the lads trailer. Then hopefully the other side and pins Saturday and maybe finish it Sunday. Scales you wouldn't like as the front tiny bit is a nice red and the rest is stabilized bimble box burl. I reckon if someone wants this one it's gunna cost them $400. It owes me a fair bit for the stuff I sort of swapped for the piece of steel, as normally that bit of steel would be at least a $100. I wore out three belts grinding the bugger, and took me hours. Then took more hours to sand the bugger as the wrought iron is still hard to sand. Still a fair bit to go, plausa sheath to be made for it, but its probably going to be a one of, masterpiece :roll: :lol:
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

Here it is finished

Just finished this knife. The steel was made by a great knife smith in Tasmania.. We do a bit of swapping so I gave him buffalo horn pieces and antlers and naturally some Hairy Oak and he hammered this piece up for me. Shame I didn't take a photo of the original billet. But anyway here it is finished with some great scales made by Phantom from Bimble Box Burl stabilized with some nice red resin. Thanks for looking a bit of video first :onya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI_K4ju ... edMitchell
Attachments
San Mai 4 x.JPG
San Mai 3x.jpg
San Mai 2x.jpg
San Mai 1x.jpg
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Very nice Ted

deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

trevort wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:02 pm Very nice Ted

Thanks Trevor, I particularly didn't use antler as scales. Didn't want to tempt anyone mate :lol:
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Ted it will be a while before I’m brave enough

deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

trevort wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:40 pm Ted it will be a while before I’m brave enough

:lol: :lol:
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

Filleting knife from 14c28n steel

Just finished this one for a good friend and don't want to make any more knives this long. 7&1/2inch cutting edge Bimble Box Burl handle with stainless steel pins. Sanding this one was a real PITA as put two holes in my fingers on the end.
Attachments
Fillet.JPG
Fillet kni.JPG
fillet K.JPG
Filleting knife.JPG
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

A hawk this time
I just made this hawk and used some dead finish for the scales. After I had glued them on and all the pins in etc and it was dry, I shaped it some more and found some cracks in it. Sort of pissed me off a bit. Anyway, I finished it off and who knows they may never get any worse and last forever. Steel is expensive 14c28n Sandvik stainless 4mm thick. Pins are copper. I might sell this one cheap if someone wants it. Will put it a sheath too. :D

In the first photo you can just see the small crack
Attachments
3hawk.JPG
2hawk dead finish.JPG
1Hawk dead finish.JPG
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

I made this one and just finished it today. I promised a mate in NT I would make one for him. It turned out so nice I nearly wanted to keep it for myself. Steel is 14c28n scales are Bimble box burl with purple, black and yellow resin. Colours sound awful, but they look really good to me. Anyway, thanks for looking I posted it to him this arvo with another small knife and sheath for his wife so she doesn't feel left out.
Attachments
Rob1.JPG
Rob 3.JPG
Rob4.JPG
Rob2.JPG
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

deermasterhunter wrote:A hawk this time
I just made this hawk and used some dead finish for the scales. After I had glued them on and all the pins in etc and it was dry, I shaped it some more and found some cracks in it. Sort of pissed me off a bit. Anyway, I finished it off and who knows they may never get any worse and last forever. Steel is expensive 14c28n Sandvik stainless 4mm thick. Pins are copper. I might sell this one cheap if someone wants it. Will put it a sheath too. :D

Looks great!

I can’t spot any crack.

deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

The Raven wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:18 pm
deermasterhunter wrote:A hawk this time

Looks great!

I can’t spot any crack.

Ha ha hard to see like most cracks :lol: I really liked the next knife I just sent to my mate in the NT. That is knife number 115 I have given away. I am gunna have to stop this soon. :D
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

And another one. Ringed Gidyea scales, nickle silver bolsters 14c28n steel A weeks break now as going for a holiday i the morning 8) :D
Attachments
rg3.JPG
rg2.JPG
RG1.JPG
rg4.JPG