Camo Tape?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Camo Tape?

Post by lowndsie »

Im just wondering if anyone has used this on their barrel's? My Remmy SPS has a matte blued finish which seems to absorb the moisture and gets a light film of surface rust on it..... Im just wondering if using camo tape over the barrel will help prevent this, and also if when removing the tape the blueing will stay on the barrel? Will the tape leave a glue residue on the barrel as well???
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Mate I dont think its a good idea. The tape will probably hold in the moisture if it gets wet and be worse. Best Idea is to get some duracoat or something and spray it with that!
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Yeah good point. Was just after a cheap option and the duracoat seems rather pricey.
MadMick

Post by MadMick »

I used tape years ago mate as I had the same problem, made no difference really.

I have since painted the thing and now don't even wipe it after it gets wet (the rifle that is :twisted: )
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

Just covered the more exposed areas of my stainless synthetic ruger deer rifle with camo tape tonight. going out for a hunt (sambar) tomorrow will let everone know about the pros & cons of tape.
Cheers Jethro.
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

Well, gave the tape a whirl. It does a great job of camo on the stainless parts, barrel, action, scope rings etc. As you would imagine it cuts the glare back to nil. The effect on the black syth, stock was good from the point of view that it made it quieter when sticks blackberries etc were dragged over it but by the end of the day the tape was starting to lift at the edges around the pistol grip and forend. :( Only thing to remember is where you put your rifle down if you happen to walk away for some reason. The tape also helps to give a better grip on the rifle when climbing around gully heads and steep ridges.
If it was a purpose built varmint outfit I would only bother taping the barrel and action to reduce glare as your target is rarely if ever as close as with stalking when you need all the help you can get to get in close enough to take a shot in thick cover. :wink:
Cheers Jethro
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Thanx for the info Jethro.

Did u get any cracks at a sambar?
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

Nope, Lowndsie, I didnt even get a look at one this time. It was a nice day for a stroll in the bush though, even got a bit hot to be climbing ridges in the full camo with rifle and pack. Next weekend is a toss up between a day sniping bunnies or another session of armed bushwalking. :wink:
Cheers Jethro.
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Next weekend is a toss up between a day sniping bunnies or another session of armed bushwalking.
Jeez, talk about a hard decision!!! :lol:
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

Yep, just gotta study the weather forcast and work out which day to waste on domestic duties. Will most probably go bunnie busting so I can take my 9 year old son and give him some more tuition in the fine art of long range sniping. ( he also gets to carry the lunches) :P Will try and take a few pics for the varminting stories section. ( no promises ). :?
Cheers Jethro :wink:
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

go bunny exploding mate....that way you can enter you pix in the gunbag comp. :D
Tez
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 3006

Post by Tez »

I just dont see the point with this camo tape.
No camo on my rifles/scopes.

8)
Rook

Camo

Post by Rook »

Matt Black duracoat will stop any corrosion problems. Its only $45 for 4 oz enough to do metal work only on at least 3 rifles.
Jack H

Post by Jack H »

Hi Jethro.
See your from NE Vic. A great part of the state 8) Lived there for many years growing up :)