BSA Hornet John Bowkett special.Targets @ 50,100,125,150yd

Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

BSA Hornet John Bowkett special.Targets @ 50,100,125,150yd

Post by Yrrah »

The rifle is a BSA Hornet modified by John Bowkett to allow for a 280 bar fill and 45+ good shots before it drops off his special regulator. Currently shooting at 875 fps with JSB .22 Exacts, the wonder pellet and a 4-12X Vari X 11 Leupold scope:

2 of three 50 yard targets shot in the session:

Best 100 yard target to date, and equal to third best so far shot with the Excalibre: 0.60 inch CTC.

Another good one at 100 yd:

Some other 100 yard targets shot in one session:

A couple of 125 yard 5 shot groups:

And the best kept for last. Just one target at 150 yards shot in near perfect conditions in the Snowy Mountains a couple of weekends ago:

I have only had the rifle a month but it is already standing tall beside the mighty Excalibre. If you have not already done so like Chris Thomas and I, why not take your favourite PCP ( or springer ) and stretch it out a little to see what it can really accomplish.... Kind regards, Harry.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

awsome work harry

with the 125 group it looks like one went through and the others stuck in the wood (plyboard??)

how thick was the target wood??
and how many did you have go through??

now you have done this load testing at waht range would you be confident of taking a shot at a rabbit?? and/or a fox or cat??

Whats your Xcaliber set at?? I got lewis to detune mine to 20 FT-lbs for more shots per fill.
When I go out I have 4 mags loaded, shoot them off and then re-charge AG and mags.
Still looking for a really small tank to carry in back pack while hunting- something to give me 3-5 fills- about the size of those 1 litre aluminium climbers water bottles- but 300 bar.

thanks

later
P
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Great work yet again Harry! I love your threads!! I def will be taking my Rapier out there very shortly!!!
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Reply to Ogre....

Post by Yrrah »

Only one pellet of ten went through the board at 125 yards. I only shot the two groups.
The boards were the thick ends of apple packing cases and the one here in my shed at Wollongong measures 0.60 inches or say 15 mm. Looks like Radiata pine which is pretty hard stuff but not like red gum hehehe.

The Excalibre is set at the same MV with JSB Exacts as the BSA.. 870 to 875 fps or 27 fpe.

In relation to shooting rabbits; I hesitate a little to say this or that because it depends so much on the conditions at the instant of making the shot.

These two rifles will kill rabbits with authority to any range at which the rabbit's lethal head/neck zone ( not nose or mouth or ears ) or lung zone ( not tummy which goes further forward than many would suspect ) can be reliably hit. Reliable hits depend upon the rifle, pellet and shooter's combined effort in the wind and shooter's position at instant of firing.

Obviously, under ideal conditions, the above targets indicate what can be done from a table and sand bag rests. In the field it may be so different.

I am presently just a run of the mill AA silhouette off shoulder shot. Off shoulder in good conditions, 30 to 40 yards is my rabbit self appointed absolute limit.
When all is perfect with rest, sitting or lying, no wind or predictable constant wind, I have little hesitation to 80 and even 100 metres working with a range finder and a very very well researched trajectory chart and using very proven elevation adjustment Leupold and Bushnell 4200 Elite scopes zeroed for each shot to the actual laser measured range.

Under perfect conditions the URL below describes one such shot made without the distractions of others being present or any semblance of a "competition" pressure atmosphere..... I hope I have answered you with objectivity and humility. Standards are very personal and each of us must live with what we do ........ Kind regards, Harry.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/th ... ..+graphic..
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by Drew Jaeger »

That is VERY IMPRESSIVE indeed!!! :D Those groups would put some centrefire rifles to shame. :wink:
New to 223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: BSA Hornet John Bowkett special.Targets @ 50,100,125,150yd

Post by New to 223 »

A standard R10 or Scorpion would give the JB a run for its money.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

New to 223 wrote:A standard R10 or Scorpion would give the JB a run for its money.
Wow, that is a big statement. I've shot my air rifle for groups at 50 and 100, and I have seen very few people manage to put 5 pellets into less than an inch at 100 yards, let alone into under 3/4".

But I'm always ready to learn, so post up the targets to back that statement up and I'll happily stand corrected. :D
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Nice groups, but which coin where you shooting at?
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

New to 223 wrote:A standard R10 or Scorpion would give the JB a run for its money.
I'm with Curan on this. That's a big call. There are a few of us with Bowkett Wizard Wands. All of us will agree that it comes dow to the Nuff Nuff behind the trigger. No different to shooting 8mm groups with 0.22 HW97K at 50m. Done that a couple of times with witnesses, Thank Goodness. :D
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

curan wrote:
Wow, that is a big statement. I've shot my air rifle for groups at 50 and 100, and I have seen very few people manage to put 5 pellets into less than an inch at 100 yards, let alone into under 3/4".

But I'm always ready to learn, so post up the targets to back that statement up and I'll happily stand corrected. :D[/quote

+1
I have shot a 1moa at 100m with my Excalibre and i don't doubt my Theoben Rapid will do it. But I don't think they will ever get that small a group. Harry's guns are tweaked to get the best out of them. And the man has a great understanding of them + he can shoot.
nate
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by nate »

wow thats an impressive result!!!
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

That's ancient history Nate. You must have been digging back 10 years.
All those have been well eclipsed and 200 and 300 yards added in.
Thanks for the memories ... Kind regards, Harry.