PCP refills.

Gatekeeper25
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

PCP refills.

Post by Gatekeeper25 »

For all the PCP shooters, how do you fill your bottles?

I’ve been using a hand pump for a few years, but I’ve just about had enough of that. 150 BAR is do-able, 200 BAR hurts and I’m not even going to try to get to 250. I’m starting to use an air rifle a bit more in the past year, so I thought I’d look into something different. Has anyone had any experience with any of the cheaper compressors? I’d probably prefer a Scuba style bottle as it’s easier to take away with you, but then you have the problem of getting it certified every year and getting it refilled. Checked with the local dive shop and they won’t fill a bottle unless you have a Scuba ticket, even if it’s a dedicated PCP tank. I’ll check with another shop because that doesn’t seem right. They didn’t seem too friendly after I mentioned it was for an air rifle, so maybe they had some issues there.

Anyway, just interested in what others are doing.

Ashley
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

PCP refills.

Post by dashooter »

Local dive shop for me at $14 a fill gets me about 13 fills on my FX with the current load/tune (36 ish shots per fill).
I’d say your local shop has some issues if they won’t fill without a scuba ticket.
The in date thing is fair enough to a point noting the cylinder isn’t used for diving. Some shops will fill an older out of date bottle if it has a sticker stating not for diving use but they are getting few and far between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gatekeeper25
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Re: PCP refills.

Post by Gatekeeper25 »

A friend has pointed me in the direction of a dive shop that will fill without a ticket so that should be ok. I'll give them a call to confirm. What size bottle do you have? There's so many options with sizes, what they are made of etc.

On a side note, this same friend picked up his brand new FX Impact M3 last Friday, and returned it yesterday. It's leaking air but can't find where its coming from. The dealer told him that "they all leak until you've got about 1000 shots through it" Sounds a bit strange to me. I've had mine ( FX Crown) for 6 years and it's been perfect other than a broken O-ring on the regulator last year. I've got an Impact on order from the same dealer so I hope it's ok. Guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks.
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Re: PCP refills.

Post by dashooter »

Gatekeeper25 wrote:A friend has pointed me in the direction of a dive shop that will fill without a ticket so that should be ok. I'll give them a call to confirm. What size bottle do you have? There's so many options with sizes, what they are made of etc.

On a side note, this same friend picked up his brand new FX Impact M3 last Friday, and returned it yesterday. It's leaking air but can't find where its coming from. The dealer told him that "they all leak until you've got about 1000 shots through it" Sounds a bit strange to me. I've had mine ( FX Crown) for 6 years and it's been perfect other than a broken O-ring on the regulator last year. I've got an Impact on order from the same dealer so I hope it's ok. Guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks.
Mines a 5l steel Faber 300bar. I wouldn’t get anything no matter the size that isn’t 300 bar. You just won’t get the same number of fills if it’s 232 bar.
I’ve got a Dreamline, never leaked ever. Unusual that the dealer is saying they all leak at first. Be interesting to know who it was. First I’ve heard of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk