The Sheridan 5mm Rat Cannon!

fenring

The Sheridan 5mm Rat Cannon!

Post by fenring »

This is my 1981 Blue Streak. I was lucky enough to help with the testing of and then get one of the Ballistic Enterprises Scout mounts a few years ago.

The rifle has a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on the mount and it works well.

The forward mounting allows proper grip of the rifle while pumping and mounts the optic as low as possible.

My neighbour has a lot of poultry and has a lot of rats as a result. He shoots a few with his own air rifle and also baits them.

I decided to try the Sheridan on them and the variable power makes it ideal around metal walled buildings. The rifle will do around 13.5 ft/lbs at full whack.

There is a Picatinny slot behind the optic and I found an offset Pic mounting point fitted in niceley.

The torch is a Solarforce L2 with a green XPE dropin. Obviously red would obscure the red dot. :)

Four pumps with Beeman Kodiaks put me on the money at ratting ranges, with enough power to wallop the biggest rat but not penetrate sheet metal.

I had a hectic 20 minutes or so around the enclosures and shot about a dozen rats with it, most could not be recovered from their nooks and crannies. The four pump Kodiak load worked perfectly.

17REM
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17REM

Re: The Sheridan 5mm Rat Cannon!

Post by 17REM »

Love it. I will have to get to it and finish my piston removal tool and get the new seals in.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Great old rifles!
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Terrific rat-smacking goodness! The red dot/green torch combo is smart, and I assume would be very quick to point.

I mount a little Solarforce on the HW50 and go out after rats in the chooks he'd and woolshed occasionally, but there is something wrong with the torch - just the slightest shake it drops from full intensity to much less, very annoying.

Good to see you posting Fen, always look forward to hearing what you have been up to. How is you big goofy four footed mate (Bill the steam shovel :lol: ) going?

Marcus
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Good going Scott, like Marcus - I always enjoy your hunt reports and air rifle musings.
Last edited by mick_762 on Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

Good going on the rats. I always wanted a Sheridan but never got one. I don't think I'll ever get one as I don't shoot the guns I have now. :(
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Looks like you had some fun Scott, good work. Glad to see you are still around
fenring

Post by fenring »

Branxhunter wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:53 pm Terrific rat-smacking goodness! The red dot/green torch combo is smart, and I assume would be very quick to point.

I mount a little Solarforce on the HW50 and go out after rats in the chooks he'd and woolshed occasionally, but there is something wrong with the torch - just the slightest shake it drops from full intensity to much less, very annoying.
Thanks mate.

If it's a multi mode torch that's likely a contact issue so it can scroll through modes by itself when contact is broken.

If it's a single mode torch, obviously something else wrong.

The beauty of the Solarforce / Surefire and other torches that use a P60 module, is that you can cheaply and easily replace the modules.

I have one here that has three colours in one, all two mode. Red, green and white. Very handy!

Branxhunter wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:53 pm Good to see you posting Fen, always look forward to hearing what you have been up to. How is you big goofy four footed mate (Bill the steam shovel :lol: ) going?

Marcus

He's going very well but gets annoyed over summer as he doesn't come shooting due to snake danger.
mick_762 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:41 pm Good going Scott, like Marcus - I always enjoy your hunt reports and air rifle musings.
Thanks mate.
Camel wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:44 am Looks like you had some fun Scott, good work. Image Glad to see you are still around

Thanks mate.
daisy wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:11 am Good going on the rats. I always wanted a Sheridan but never got one. I don't think I'll ever get one as I don't shoot the guns I have now. :(
They still show up from time to time for not a lot of money really.
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Sako 22-250 »

Good to see you hunting great read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fenring

Post by fenring »

So I've been playing with loads today, needing only enough power to penetrate a rat at 20 feet.

The heavy H+N cylinders hit hard but need five pumps to drive them reliably as they fit so tight.

I found some Beeman Silver Sting points that go fast enough and shoot accurately with only two pumps, so they will get a run on the henhouse marauders tonight!
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

I look forward to the tally first thing in the morning then!

Marcus
fenring

Post by fenring »

All done for the night! A bit quieter after the beating they got last time. Pulled off a couple of running shots and I guess I shot about ten. One clever bastard was in a high nesting box and left his fat tail hanging out so I shot it off. :lol: That Sheridan with the red dot is very handy. Went with 3 pumps and the Silver Sting pellets which knocked the shit out of them. Next trip I am going to run some H+N Match wadcutters which should make a nice THWOCK sound. :twisted:
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

fenring wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:19 pm One clever bastard was in a high nesting box and left his fat tail hanging out so I shot it off. :lol:
Nice shooting! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marcus