.22 air rifle

dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

.22 air rifle

Post by dashooter »

For some reason I keep coming back to look at .22 cal air pipes.
Looked ages ago and couldn’t decide.
Looking again and I’ve stumbled across a Diana K98 and also a Weihrauch HW77.
Both second hand.
For use on rabbits and maybe field rifle if Darius can convince me to get along.
Any thoughts on either from those that know?

Cheers,
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gavin M
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Re: .22 air rifle

Post by Gavin M »

Both great brands I don"t know anything about that model Diana but the HW77 is like all Weihrauch springers a classic.
fenring

Post by fenring »

HW77 for serious use.
Tezza
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Tezza »

Can't speak for the Diana, but can vouch for the HW77.......they're bloody heavy though

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Rob
It's a no brainer for me good quality PCP but if you have your heart set on a springer Weihrauch wish I'd seen this last week I'd have bought down my 20 cal for you to shoot.
Gary
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Post by dashooter »

Ol 55 wrote:Rob
It's a no brainer for me good quality PCP but if you have your heart set on a springer Weihrauch wish I'd seen this last week I'd have bought down my 20 cal for you to shoot.
Gary
Would love a pcp but wouldn’t shoot it often enough to do it justice. That being said if one came up at the right price I could succumb. Lol
I’m still not sure on what cal either. Too many opinions on what is and isn’t acceptable for rabbits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
danny_h69
Favourite Cartridge: .357

Post by danny_h69 »

G'day Rob.

I haven't owned a Diana, but from all accounts they are supposed to be a good quality brand.

I do own a Winerack HW97K in .22 and would love to add a .177 HW77 to the safe. No go yet... the missus is still under the delusion I already own enough guns. :roll:

If you are going to be shooting rabbits reasonably regularly, then see if you can get your hands on a decent PCP.

However, as far as the ".22 for fur, .177 for feathers" rubbish debate, either will work fine. Make sure you use good quality pellets, eg. H&N, JSB etc, but ultimately, It comes down to shot placement. With an air rifle head shots are king. Rabbit skulls (and foxes) are very fragile. It only takes about about 4 ft lb of energy in the brain pan to kill a rabbit.

Plenty of good air rifle hunting YT channels that use both. It comes down to ballistics, depending on the range you want to shoot, wind etc as to which calibre/weight gives you the accuracy and retains energy at POI.

PCP's are arguably easier to shoot (no recoil), but need all the associated accessories. Pump, tank, compressor etc...

Springers are a bit more of a challenge to shoot, but fun as no accessories required.

Just don't fall into the "maximum power!!" b@#$hit. Keep the velocity under say 950fps and a good brand air rifle will probably be a tack driver.

Hope this helps. :)

Plenty of good advice from knowledgeable people (maybe not me :roll: ) so if you're not sure about something jump on and ask.