HW100

Ziel01
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Re: HW100

Post by Ziel01 »

Lovely looking PCP you have there.

If you haven't already, the Weihrauch stuff seems to like the RWS pellets too.
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

SOME HW springers like RWS, mainly sub 12 fpe ones. Most of their PCPs don't.
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Ziel01 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 pm Lovely looking PCP you have there.

If you haven't already, the Weihrauch stuff seems to like the RWS pellets too.
I am really liking the rifle.

Haven't tried the RWS. Gun came with 6 different tins of pellets and there was a big differance in accuracy. Have settled on the JSB Exact Heavy 18.13gn. Good accuracy at a reasonable price for plinking. The H&N Barracuda Hunter were very good to.
Have noticed it likes the barrel clean, as after about 300+ shots it starts to open up. Just wipe out a bit of grey stuff, not much.

Grmkc, does washing pellets help keep the barrel cleaner?

Bruce
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

Hey Bruce,

Washing the pellets remove the lead particulates/dros and material left from the manufacturing process, so it extends the barrel cleanliness to a point. I generally use a pull through roughly every 300 -500 pellets depending on the rifle. Anything with a choked barrel will crud up quicker. Softer pellet alloy will also dirty the barrel quicker.

What I do is sort, wash & lubricate. I use a wax based material on springer pellets (Mr Sheen) and in the last couple of years gone to WD40 dry PTFE spray for PCP pellets. I don't use Napier Oil or the like as I find that the pellets remain "wet" and pick up fibre particles. Have done the Wax versus Oil based versus PTFE testing and that's the conclusion I arrived at.

I pull through a couple of wet patches (oil) and then dry ones until clean. Depending on your barrel, it may take 10 to 20 pellets to settle down.

The other thing I do is to pull through a patch sprayed with the above PTFE spray after my last dry patch. When it dries, it keeps moisture off the bore surface and provides a coat of dry lubricant for the pellet.

Below is what I make and sell on the side ($24 incl Aust postage). Coated soft cord with a hardwood handle. Avoid using rods and brushed on PCPs where you can. They may damage or pull out breech seals. Because they can only go in from the muzzle end, you'll push all the crap towards the transfer port & possibly deposit it into the port itself. It'd blow out on the first shot but ......................

Pull thru for sale
Pull thru for sale
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

You had better put one in the Bag you are sending up Geoff :roll:
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Geoff, thanks for the info. Will give washing ago sometime.

Bruce