Testing 20-60 yds and foxy

mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Testing 20-60 yds and foxy

Post by mistit »

Gday fellas
Been doing a bit of testing or having fun this morning , was a bit breezy and switching all over the place but I was bored and thought why not .i started at 20 yds and finished at 60 yds , zero at 20 was zero at 30 and 40 as well , the first cross hair down gave me a spot on zero at 50 and the second gave me a shade high at 60 , it's shooting good enough to head shoot rabbits at 60 ( which I might do this arvo if I don't have a beer )
image.jpeg
the circles are just under an inch
image.jpeg
this photo is from the shed 30 yds ( lazered)
Attachments
image.jpeg
Last edited by mistit on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew T
Favourite Cartridge: .177

Re: Testing 20-60 yds

Post by Andrew T »

Nice Mistit,

I'd love a beer with you by your shed, looks like a nice place you have there.
mistit
.308 Winchester

Post by mistit »

Andrew drop in any time for a beer and a chat , it is a great place too live , good views too
Cheers :D
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Testing 20-60 yds

Post by trevort »

A beer or rabbit? All of life's decisions should be so sweet. If only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New to 223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by New to 223 »

I build up the cheek rest on mine by folding a cloth until I have enough height, I then drape it over the cheek piece and finish off with a piece of suede.

It feels a lot nicer than bare walnut on your face, try it, you'll be amazed how a consistent cheek weld will tighten up your groups, your face floating around will only cause parallax error.

Here's what I mean, this pic is taken of my son using my BSA Scorpion.

What pellets are shooting best at the moment ?
Attachments
IMG_2891.JPG
mistit
.308 Winchester

Post by mistit »

New to 223 wrote:I build up the cheek rest on mine by folding a cloth until I have enough height, I then drape it over the cheek piece and finish off with a piece of suede.

It feels a lot nicer than bare walnut on your face, try it, you'll be amazed how a consistent cheek weld will tighten up your groups, your face floating around will only cause parallax error.

I've got a big head and funny thing is i get good cheek weld, (I know how important it is shooting out a window ) and parallax is something I look for at every range with the air gun in particular especially when you adjust parallex down to those distances it becomes so critical (20-40) is a bit like going from (400-800) i did a lot of long range shooting years ago , I adjust parallex at every range when doing any kind of target shooting by lifting my head slightly and moving it around adjusting it out with the objective ( phew that was a lot of talk about parallex )
mistit
.308 Winchester

Post by mistit »

New to 223 wrote:I build up the cheek rest on mine by folding a cloth until I have enough height, I then drape it over the cheek piece and finish off with a piece of suede.

Here's what I mean, this pic is taken of my son using my BSA Scorpion.

Sorry mate pellets are jsb 18.13 and 16 , both are very similar at these distances with the edge going to the heavys , I just seen your photo , cheers but the air arms cheek is pretty well made to suit the scope height and as I said I've got a fat head :D
mistit
.308 Winchester

Post by mistit »

Here is a question for you , how much do you think the action screw torque makes a difference to a pcp , it's not bedded and I've found by adjusting it so I've lock tighted the bolt with almost bigger all tension ( don't ask me in inch pounds ) I've taken a lot of the vertical out of it . I also pulled out the little foam pads that the air tank rested on so it floating if you like to call it that , the jury is still out on it as a definite but at 60 I managed 4 into a neat .3 and one to the left a 1/2inch , the wind has really picked up here and I got bashed on my last group almost 2 inches wide but only 1/2 inch high , will try again tonight if the wind stops and post a couple of photos
New to 223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by New to 223 »

I floated mine as well, I opened up the air tube channel. I have supported the action just in front of the trigger block. Torque, not sure, as long as its nipped up I leave it, we don't have recoil to contend with so that's a bonus. Mine shooters well with JSB's too. Cal is .177.
IMG_2894.JPG
Attachments
IMG_2895.JPG
mistit
.308 Winchester

Post by mistit »

New to 223 wrote:I floated mine as well, I opened up the air tube channel. I have supported the action just in front of the trigger block. Torque, not sure, as long as its nipped up I leave it, we don't have recoil to contend with so that's a bonus. Mine shooters well with JSB's too. Cal is .177.
IMG_2894.JPG
It does shoot bloody well
mistit
.308 Winchester

Post by mistit »

Not much luck with the rabbits didn't see one but managed to whistle this fella up, I put my back against a tree and he popped around the corner 35 odd yds out
image.jpeg
happy days
Gavin M
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Re: Testing 20-60 yds and foxy

Post by Gavin M »

Nice shot on the fox Mark.
Did you chrony the 18 grainer's and how many shots per fill are you getting?
mistit
.308 Winchester

Re: Testing 20-60 yds and foxy

Post by mistit »

Gavin M wrote:Nice shot on the fox Mark.
Did you chrony the 18 grainer's and how many shots per fill are you getting?
Hi gav
Around 880 with the 18 grainers and around 40 per fill which I'm quite happy with , I'm a bit hooked again and I'm thinking I'd love a 25 or 30 now but money might make it hard or my wife for that matter :D
mistit
.308 Winchester

Post by mistit »

trevort wrote:A beer or rabbit? All of life's decisions should be so sweet. If only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers Trev :D
mistit
.308 Winchester

Post by mistit »

New to 223 wrote:I floated mine as well, I opened up the air tube channel. I have supported the action just in front of the trigger block. Torque, not sure, as long as its nipped up I leave it, we don't have recoil to contend with so that's a bonus. Mine shooters well with JSB's too. Cal is .177.
IMG_2894.JPG
G'day mate
Can I also ask what is the dry lube your using , and what process for cleaning you guys have for air guns