For the Rekord

stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

For the Rekord

Post by stinkitup »

Since purchasing the HW97k I found this trigger unit was not as crisp as my R9's. So after watching some vids on cleaning up the Weirauch Rekord trigger I figured I would have a crack. I don't own a proper set of punches but have have a few modified nails which generally work :oops:
rekord_complete.jpg
rekord_complete.jpg (273.42 KiB) Viewed 508 times
Rekord_sears.jpg
Rekord_sears.jpg (280.74 KiB) Viewed 508 times
So I don't know if the last owner or anyone else had played with this trigger but the trigger tension screw (gold one you can adjust in the stock) was as tight as buggery. The tab it screws through looked bent and thus I ended up make a little mess of this screw, they are very soft so be careful. Might see if I can find some spares somewhere... not my proudest moment but geez for a trigger tension screw it was very tight. I straightened the tab up a little and on putting it back to gether it seemed to be much better.
rekord_apart.jpg

Anyway here it is with everything out couple of screws 4 or 5 contact sufaces and pins etc. I used some 1200 grit paper with ballistol and some autosol to polish. I didn't go crazy so as not to change any profiles as this was a first time. Some people go 2000/4000 and then polish. While I didn't get all the machine/cast marks out it does look a lot better. There are some very small surfaces but I was happy for a first time crack at this. Put some ballistol on all surfaces and let it dry before re-assembling.
Rekord_polished.jpg
Rekord_polished.jpg (271.69 KiB) Viewed 508 times
With some effort I got it all back together. Working out one of the springs was tricky but got it sorted. I need to adjust the trigger spring screw a little more as I have it now the first stage is loose with just a very light second stage but enough to tell the differene between them. Needs just a little more on the first stage to feel it better. On a positive note I haven't adjusted anything and already the second stage has no real creep and is very crisp which I like so already has made a difference.

And back together again, worked out needed to install with the trigger cocked and have the safety already in place before slotting the trigger up and re inserting the hanger pins.
back_together.jpg
back_together.jpg (284.6 KiB) Viewed 508 times
If anyone wants to take a crack at it with and hr or so it is doable and lots of info out there.
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Re: For the Rekord

Post by grmkc »

Hats off to you Ryan. I haven't plucked up the courage.

I generally just spray degreaser throughout to remove the factory gunk, polish all the accessible contacts and then give it a generous spray of PTFE. I then adjust the sears and spring tension. Nearly always does the job.

That screw is brass. I understan Matt has a few in different material.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

In all honesty it was pretty straight forward can be tricky getting it back together especially the rear sears spring if you put it in the wrong way but thanks to the good diagrams on the internet was a good little project and from initial 10 or so shots def worth the effort. Might see if Matt has some screws then.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

The screw also probably had some sort of bonding agent such as loctite on it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
mattw975
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by mattw975 »

The screws are Aluminium Geoff, which is why they chew.....have made a few in Brass to stop this.

grmkc wrote:Hats off to you Ryan. I haven't plucked up the courage.

I generally just spray degreaser throughout to remove the factory gunk, polish all the accessible contacts and then give it a generous spray of PTFE. I then adjust the sears and spring tension. Nearly always does the job.

Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Good job Ryan we going to get a look at the weekend?
Ol 55
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

DSD wrote:The screw also probably had some sort of bonding agent such as loctite on it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I think it was a mixture of the tab and the gold anadizing/paint on the screw. Either way it is much easier now so it is possible it had something on it.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

mattw975 wrote:The screws are Aluminium Geoff, which is why they chew.....have made a few in Brass to stop this.

grmkc wrote:Hats off to you Ryan. I haven't plucked up the courage.

Might have to organise one Matt, one with an allen key/torx head would be nice :D
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Ol 55 wrote:Good job Ryan we going to get a look at the weekend?
Ol 55
Unfortunately I will be in HAWAII :D So she won't get a run for a little while yet.

Ryan
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Good stuff Ryan.
Its very satisfying doing DIY trigger jobs. A bit of research, thought and planning and it its not that hard. I snap lots of photos as I go so I can remember how to put them back together :idea: .

Bruce
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Cheers Bruce yes it is especially when it all fits back together with no dramas and there is an improvement.