fenring

Re: Any Good ?

Post by fenring »

grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

For that sort of money you could do much better. That would be running hot from what I could ascertain (>1000 fps). Might as well be shooting 22LR if you're going to produce that sort of crack.

I would personally be looking at the BSA Buccaneer if I were in the market for a new PCP. It is factory set at about 850 fps for the 177 and pushes out 16 FPE with JSB heavy. Around $700 brand spanking new. 1/4-1/2" at 50m!!!! Done it myself.

There are reasons why you see the MRod on that Gun Site. Just saying ......................................

My preference would be this https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=58383

or this https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=57178

or this BSA Hornet in disguise http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/31279 ... rifle.html
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Cheers mate just Kickin tyres and seeing what is what I reckon a Theoben is my dream PCP
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

I know where there is a 0.20 and 0.22 if you would like to join me in a heist. :lol: Happen to know both the owners. You might actually see one of them if you drop in at the Hornsby shoot on 18/7/2015.

I understand the Impacts aren't bad as the Theoben's replacement.
nate
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by nate »

yeah no sale - even with all the scuba stuff

pony bottle & all the adapters were around $400, new gun - $1200 or so i think (if its old, then they could've got it for $900!)
so knocked bugger all off it really.

Evanix of course is a much better option :)
Druid66
Favourite Cartridge: .20 Cal

Post by Druid66 »

Everything Geoff said 8)

By damn I reckon I could take a hacksaw to that Buccaneer :D

http://bsaguns.co.uk/air-rifles/pcp-air ... er-SE.aspx

Pity they don`t do a .20Cal :cry:
Niggle
Favourite Cartridge: 12g

Post by Niggle »

There's better options out there for your hard earned.
BSA, Webley and Hatsan spring to mind as Budget options.
For that money, you're into Air Arms and Evanix.
Step up a bit more into some European quality.
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

grmkc wrote:For that sort of money you could do much better. That would be running hot from what I could ascertain (>1000 fps). Might as well be shooting 22LR if you're going to produce that sort of crack.

I would personally be looking at the BSA Buccaneer if I were in the market for a new PCP. It is factory set at about 850 fps for the 177 and pushes out 16 FPE with JSB heavy. Around $700 brand spanking new. 1/4-1/2" at 50m!!!! Done it myself.

There are reasons why you see the MRod on that Gun Site. Just saying ......................................

My preference would be this https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=58383

or this https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=57178

or this BSA Hornet in disguise http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/31279 ... rifle.html
This answered some of my questions as well.
So there are some cheaper options.
What is long term maintenance like on the different brands of pcp?

Bruce
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Maintaining a PCP is no different to caring for any other rifle with a few additional things to bear in mind.

- Making sure that you fill the cylinder with moisture free air. Air pump with moisture trap or from a SCUBA or SCBA tank. The tanks will need to be tested to Australian Standard on a regular basis. 1 to 5 years depending on where you get your tank filled.
- Keep the rifle's air cylinder presurised when in storage to keep moisture out of the system.
- Regular checks on the pressure gauge to ensure that it is maintaining pressure when not used. If pressure drops, you have a leak in the system.
- When doing maintenance internally, never use a petroleum based product as these will damage O-rings. This applies to all ARs.
- If there are greater issues, there are several members on this forum who are experienced in caring for PCPs.

Only a few importers will have people who know air fifles let alone PCPs. The brands that I can vouch for that have backup support locally are BSA, Gamo/Hatsan, Evanix, Benjamin (Marauder only), Fx Airguns & Webley. I have shaken hands with the people behind the scene. That pretty much covers the price range and common brands avalaible locally. There are also a handful of individuals out there who are very capable.

I hope that helps.

Geoff
nate
.22 WMR

Post by nate »

yeah i dont think there's much in terms of maintenance at all...
They're slow & only use lead pellets - so barrel maintenance is minimal (if you choose to do any!)

Apart from that - I dont know of any real maintenance required!
a little grease & replacement oring on the hand pump probe (as it gets caught from time to time when inserting - simple fix from a pack of o-rings). nothing otherwise!

Probably the biggest activity would be setup & tuning to your particular needs.
How do you get your AR to shoot with your pellet at the right power levels. But most of that has been done for the main ones (Evanix of course, and Maurader), expensive ones are power adjustable & require little if anything after sales for setup.

2 real options:
- go cheaper: i.e. Evanix, grab a regulator, spring & use the tuning knowledge to adjust power as required
- go expensive: i.e. FX, shoot & learn how its settings can be calibrated

either way you really do need one :)
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Don't be distracted with TUNING and Clean your barrel after every tin or when pellets no longer group. It may take 10 - 20 shot to recondition the barrel. Small price for accuracy.

Oh! And they will all be as accurate as the Nuf nuf behind the trigger. I've only ever come across one that didn't shoot. And that was because the Nuf nuf had nuffed with the rifle.

All of them shoot out of the box satisfactorily including the new Evanix which now have the Nate patented tune straight from the importer. Nate, We've just got the models before your ingenious setup was adopted by the importer.

:D :D
nate
.22 WMR

Post by nate »

grmkc wrote:All of them shoot out of the box satisfactorily including the new Evanix which now have the Nate patented tune straight from the importer. Nate, We've just got the models before your ingenious setup was adopted by the importer.
:D :D
LOL! didnt realise, too funny
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

The OEM spring came as the 'spare' in Phill's (Magoo). :roll:
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Thanks for the info, will get to one of the field target shoots or you better get to the Missathon as well.

Bruce