False hits with Gamo knockdown targets

SteveR
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

False hits with Gamo knockdown targets

Post by SteveR »

G'day guys,

I'd noticed that when using my HW80 in .25 on my new Gamo squirrel target I just could not miss.. and as this seemed very much out of character I thought I'd investigate further.

Head shots to mr Squirrel registered a knockdown on 3 of 3 shots. I can only assume that the rebounding of the face plate somehow makes the link at the rear bounce up?

The Hw80 is doing ~20 ftlb, which I thought should not cause any dramas in this PCP world we now live in. Any suggestions as to the cause?

https://youtu.be/pHa6Hu-mjgI
nate
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: False hits with Gamo knockdown targets

Post by nate »

yeap - we've been working through this for a while.
The other targets we've been working on have had similar issues - VERY hard to get worked out.

Either 5mm face plate so it doesnt vibrate so much or maybe some MDF so absorb more of the power & stop it vibrating so much.

We'll look towards spinners for the higher powered PCP's next shoot - especially at closer distances.
JWD
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .177

Post by JWD »

Like Nate said, a heavier face plate helps to soak up the impact from big hits. Best results have been 5mm steel. Tilting the target forward slightly helps too when using bigger guns.try a small wedge under the rear supports.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I think I've come up with a fix, involving a spring and a washer.

Per the picture, I added a washer to the main faceplate hinge to eliminate some play, and then added a spring to keep the mechanism from bouncing around. The spring was $3.30 from Bunnings.

I've given it a good test with the .25 and it seems to work well, no more knockdowns when hitting any part of the faceplate; I guess the spring has the same effect as the suggestion to tilt the target back. The spring can be easily disconnected when not in use.
IMG_0067_2.jpg
Hope this helps those who are using these for comps.
JWD
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .177

Post by JWD »

Looks like a nice simple fix.
nate
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by nate »

SteveR wrote:I think I've come up with a fix, involving a spring and a washer.
washer should be a good idea, & anything else to take the play out of the mechanism.

The spring... hmmm its similar to the spring that we've got on our old mouse trap ones.
it then becomes an issue of tuning - as it looks like it will make the target harder to fall.

no issues for close stuff, but if you're <12fpe at 35m.... might be an issue