Thinking about a 177

Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Thinking about a 177

Post by Ol 55 »

Looking at a PCP 177 for a bit of plinking and maybe with field target, as it is becoming popular around here
and my Air Arms 22 hitting them a bit hard [not in my eyes] I think I could justify a good quality 177.

Any advice from those that know?
Cheers
Ol 55
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Re: Thinking about a 177

Post by RayG »

Availability in OZ is always a pain especially when you want something specific in good air rifles.
To answer your query Herman is advertising 4 .177 FX guns for FT shooting,Typhoon FT s/s.Typhoon FT 12shot mag,FX Royale 200 Variable power,
These guns are up to $1500. Top of the range FX200 FT fully adjustable stock etc $3000.
Another PCP gun I would look at if you can get one here is the smallest PCP Air Arms make it can be set up well for FT I think it is also called a model 200,
can be used as a single shot or has optional magazine.
Also look at Forbes wholesale site He carries all the FWB target air rifles.
The NZ dealers would also have a very good line up of FT rifles as they are well into FT there.
Good luck hope you can get what you want mate,
Ray
mattw975
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by mattw975 »

A lot of BSA PCP's are coming in mid July, there will be a fair few Scorpion's, R10's & Buccanneers. Let us know if of interest as I work via Wilson Target Arms & can get competitive prices.
JWD
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .177

Post by JWD »

Ol 55 wrote:...maybe with field target, as it is becoming popular around here...
Best quote I've seen in ages :)
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

RayG wrote:Availability in OZ is always a pain especially when you want something specific in good air rifles.
To answer your query Herman is advertising 4 .177 FX guns for FT shooting,Typhoon FT s/s.Typhoon FT 12shot mag,FX Royale 200 Variable power,
These guns are up to $1500. Top of the range FX200 FT fully adjustable stock etc $3000.
Another PCP gun I would look at if you can get one here is the smallest PCP Air Arms make it can be set up well for FT I think it is also called a model 200,
can be used as a single shot or has optional magazine.
Also look at Forbes wholesale site He carries all the FWB target air rifles.
The NZ dealers would also have a very good line up of FT rifles as they are well into FT there.
Good luck hope you can get what you want mate,
Ray
http://www.sportingguns.com.au/fx-air-r ... rifle.html
http://www.sportingguns.com.au/fx-air-r ... rifle.html

One of these would be my choice. I've shot a smooth twist FX, and was impressed. The kiss principle says get the single shot, the fun factor says the 16 shot. 8)

FX are light in overall weight compared to many, but it's always easier to add weight than remove it.......... :D
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

I've always liked the Royale 400 with Walnut stock, its on my to buy list.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

From my looking their seems to be no clear winner as far as which air rifle for FT. Seems to be a range of rifles that do well so more about the shooter and practice.

I Saw FX have the FT rifle which looks the goods, the smooth twist barrels have a good rep that is for sure. Is the difference between 200 and the 400 just the amount of shots between fills?
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

The FX Royale Walnut looks very impressive. Also like the look of BSA R10 Mk2 VC not sure of the price will do some more research.
Cheers
Ol 55
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

stinkitup wrote:From my looking their seems to be no clear winner as far as which air rifle for FT. Seems to be a range of rifles that do well so more about the shooter and practice.

I Saw FX have the FT rifle which looks the goods, the smooth twist barrels have a good rep that is for sure. Is the difference between 200 and the 400 just the amount of shots between fills?
I believe the size of the air reservoir is the only difference.....
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

I wish you guy's would stop posting about air rifles, I have no real need for one but can't stop reading these topics. Stop it stop it now :x :x
RayG
22-250 Remington

Post by RayG »

Just a small point, all the pcp rifles mentioned here are 20 FPE PLUS guns except for the FX & Air arms which are adjustable, unless you tune the others down.
The reason I say this is because I think there is a 20 FPE limit or less in Field target rules. Something to consider I guess.
nate
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by nate »

nah its 12fpe..

@ 22 cal, thats 600fps velocity...
@177 cal thats 800fps velocity
so MUST be 177 unless you like rainbows.

even then it doesnt seem easy to get <12fpe in australia from all the testing we do at the comps.

you need to be careful & have something that can be detuned!
RayG
22-250 Remington

Post by RayG »

Well that cut the field down a lot! You can go 2 ways on guns based on sub 12FPE a .177 Springer (Recoiling class) or an upmarket PCP sub 12 FPE target rifle,
kitted out for FT. The top PCP .177 target guns velocities are usually factory set at 550fps -650fps with 7- 8.5 grain slugs. (Roughly 5-6 FPE).you can shoot FT quite well with these.
Any of the more powerful guns would present a detuning problem but it can be done.
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

Best value for money on the current market is the BSA Bucaneer. I helped review the sister rifle, the Gamo Coyote, but I find the BSA stock much better balanced. The 177 is shipped out from the UK at 16 fpe, yes, it was chronied. I was shooting 1/2" groups at 50m with JSB exact heavies.

If I didn't have my BSA Hornet, that would be the one I'd go for. Can't really go wrong for $700.

PCPs are inherently accurate. The issue will be the nuf nuf behind the trigger nearly all the time. It doesn't matter if you spend $400 on an AT44 or $3500 on a Steyr. The rate limiting factor is the Airgunner.
JD

Post by JD »

RayG wrote:Well that cut the field down a lot! You can go 2 ways on guns based on sub 12FPE a .177 Springer (Recoiling class) or an upmarket PCP sub 12 FPE target rifle,
kitted out for FT. The top PCP .177 target guns velocities are usually factory set at 550fps -650fps with 7- 8.5 grain slugs. (Roughly 5-6 FPE).you can shoot FT quite well with these.
Any of the more powerful guns would present a detuning problem but it can be done.
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you are saying here but I'll clarify a few things.

There are two classes, International- run at <12fpe and Open, which is 12fpe+ up to usually 20fpe with the limit usually dictated by the match director with regards to target damage. Often 20fpe will be the magic spot. If you have hopes of competing in international comps or getting on the Australian team then you should consider gearing yourself up (or choosing a rifle that can be easily down tuned) to shoot the 12fpe class. But....if you have a gun that runs faster turn up and shoot it! Don't wait until you save up to buy a new rifle. If you are running ~28fpe like most 22 PCP's I'd be surprised if there wasn't someone at the club with the knowledge to turn your gun down a bit so you aren't smashing targets.

The top PCP .177 target guns running 550-650fps are 10m guns, not FT guns. The likes of Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, Walter, Steyr etc. If you choose one of these and can't up the power easily to 12fpe (often easier to lower the power than raise it) then you will be at a severe limitation. They are great guns for what they were designed for, 10m, but they aren't superior for FT.

At the top $$ wise you have the likes of the Styer LG110FT, which can be set at either 12fpe or 20+fpe. But any PCP can be turned down, just some are a little easier than others. Your Air Arms can be turned down also, and while it might be a .22 cal and will suffer a bit more of a loopy trajectory it shouldn't stop you competing for fun and anyway, if you set your gear up, get a good range finding scope and learn your distances you can run with the best - it's just your margin for error is a little smaller.

But any gun can be used successfully, especially in PCP as they are pretty much all accurate. Generally people make a few mods to the stock to make it a little more ergonomic for the FT positions, or go for a full custom stock with adjustability built in - or you can just cobble something together.

Spring guns, again, you can use what you have but the leaders tend to be the fixed barrel guns like the Air Arms TX200, Weihraugh HW77/97 and Walther LGU. Tuned for a smoother shot cycle and less recoil, but spring guns are still much more difficult to shoot as accurately.

The biggest factor I really found is spending the time to set up and learn your gear. If you put the time in to dialing into your scope and practicing, then it's rare that the gear will be the limiting factor.

Cheers.