A story for Andrew and a mate for his Diana 20 find.

Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

A story for Andrew and a mate for his Diana 20 find.

Post by Yrrah »

Have had it some 67 years.

A boy's fond memory:

I was maybe 11 yrs, say 1948. Had this new little smoothbore pip "Stella". Made in Czechoslovakia. Probably a Diana copy but sight on barrel. Bought it mail order form Sydney to Urunga NC NSW.
There was a big hoop pine tree, 30 yards to the top, with a starling sitting on the penthouse. Pellets were little bullets, ICI "Blackboys" like Sheridan Bantams, made by ICI and weighing just above nothing. Guess that name wouldn't pass now.
Old semi retired Doctor Briden lived 70 yards down across the railway cutting. I didn't know at the time, but nature had called and he was headed on the trek to the dunny.
Well my aim was good or at any rate the pellet made it to the top of the tree and registered a hit, more of a tap I expect.
The little black guy took off, in that smart fashion of theirs, and flew out across the railway cutting high up in the sky. Then suddenly there was a power failure and from then it was all downhill. I stared in amazement with that little boy "I know this will be bad" type feeling.
Doc was just opening the dunny door when - CRASH, the starling came out of space and hit the fibro wall to fall at Doc's feet. To this day I can still see old Doc Briden first peering down at the dead bird and then up at the sky and back to the bird. I shrank down behind a blackberry bush.

When you shoot nearly straight up trajectory is of little concern for an underpowered gun; you normally have to aim under with something of power. ... Never underestimate what a little airgun can achieve, and country dunnies can be full of surprises.
The Stella is still in my keeping, registered, and mute testimony to the many good times airguns have given me.
Stay safe, Yrrah.
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Re: A story for Andrew and a mate for his Diana 20 find.

Post by Sako 22-250 »

Thanks Yrrah a great read ..took me back
And a lovely old rifle
Mark
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

That is a top read, thanks Harry. I was following the flight path of the bird, the path to the dunny by the good Doc, I was sort of expecting it would hit him, but I imagine the effect would have been similar. The look on his face would have been a good laugh.

Nice old shooter mate, its good you still have it. :D
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

Thanks for the memory jog Harry,your little Stella is still in great shape.
We of our vintage all have an old airgun story. Mine is a story of a 'Kracajac' air gun a mouthful of Blackboy pellets (they tasted like pewter) and shooting pigeons on a back neighbour's chimney tops. I could and never have done this trick again. 2 pigeons on a double stack brick chimney 25 feet or so above me in my parents backyard, 3 shots later there were 2 pigeons down one in each smoking chimney.
It did not take the Lady of the house more than 2 minutes to come screaming into my parents back yard with 2 still smouldering pigeons in hand braying for my blood.
Ah the good ol days. :D :D
Cheers,
Ray
Andrew T
Favourite Cartridge: .177

Post by Andrew T »

Yrrah, Harry,

Thank you for sharing such a great story, I bet when I posted the little Diana it must have rekindled that fond memory.

It's so nice that you've keep the Stella and obviously well cared for too, I've never seen a Stella and it could be that Diana copied Stella, as Diana made exact copies of early BSA's in that same period.

I clicked on your pick hoping to enlarge it and it took me to your photobucket page, sorry didn't mean to sticky beak but I saw your Sheridan Blue Streak, very nice do you still have it? and could you tell us about it?

Thanks Harry

Andrew
Andrew T
Favourite Cartridge: .177

Post by Andrew T »

Ray,

That's hilarious, smouldering pigeons falling down the chimney.

Reminds me of very similar experiences also shooting birds off the next door neighbours TV antenna and her coming over with a dead bird in hand in suburban Melbourne, those were the days.