A special barrel ... accurate and versatile.

Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

A special barrel ... accurate and versatile.

Post by Yrrah »

Been at the farm. Had to do some pest control for a neighbor.

Decided to take the .22 Benchmark barrel off the FX Elite and put the BSA .25 JB barrel back on, sight it in at 50 yd with .25 Predators for the rabbits; and show Mike Hossack USA the versatility of this barrel with which I will shortly test some of his different airgun slugs/bullets.

After sighting in and painting out, 12 shots were made in succession - conditions were excellent - 3 shots each with (left to right) JSB Predators, Benjamin domes, Baracudas and JSB Kings. Four very different but best .25 pellets, 4 different weights of pellets from three different countries. No washing or lubing but each was sized head and skirt with a 0.25" sizing die. This is a tight BSA hammer forged barrel, prepared some years ago by John Bowkett in UK. It has been indexed and marked for installation (see previous posts).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/ ... c00c90.jpg

Left to right and ctc measured: Predators 5 mm/ 0.20"; Benjamins 5 mm/ 0.20" (thanks again Steve); Baracudas 6 mm/ 0.24"(aimed with a slight holdover to compensate for weight and lower velocity); JSB KIngs 4 mm/ 0.16". The coin on the ram is an Aus 5c piece (remember those?).

Late afternoon I head-shot 12 rabbits 48 to 65 yards; what a mess the Predators make from 45 fpe muzzle energy. They went to Les' cooler for his farm dogs. Rabbits are presently worth around $18 I hear so hope the dogs appreciate them. .... Kind regards, Harry..
fenring

Re: A special barrel ... accurate and versatile.

Post by fenring »

Good shooting!
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

That is some amazing shooting Harry well done. It is nice when they shoot some different pellets well.

I am lucky my R9 shoots the 20 cal pellets in different varieties well but not that good. Love your swinging setup. Thanks again for posting and good to see some pellets flying.

Ryan
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

stinkitup wrote:That is some amazing shooting Harry well done. It is nice when they shoot some different pellets well.

I am lucky my R9 shoots the 20 cal pellets in different varieties well but not that good. Love your swinging setup. Thanks again for posting and good to see some pellets flying.

Ryan
Being able to index the barrel to the best possible rotated position is I think partly responsible for the versatility in shooting those different pellets. http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1396577738

That new Hunter Expressway has made a huge difference to our trip to the farm when we use the New England Hwy. ... Best regards Ryan, Harry.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Bloody oath Harry has made a difference for a number of trips up this way.

If you ever need a rest stop and a cuppa let me know we are 15 from the freeway at Mulbring.
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

Pretty impressive effort there!
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

stinkitup wrote:Bloody oath Harry has made a difference for a number of trips up this way.

If you ever need a rest stop and a cuppa let me know we are 15 from the freeway at Mulbring.
We might just do that one day Ryan!
What part do you play in the "Seeing and Fighting" game ? ........ Harry.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Which game is that Harry...bit slow tonight.
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

stinkitup wrote:Which game is that Harry...bit slow tonight.
Squadron 87 Motto, or was 8) .... H.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

My Grandfather was aircraft engineer for the Mossies running reconnaissance from Coomalie Creek.

Sorry like I said bit slow last night.
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

stinkitup wrote:My Grandfather was aircraft engineer for the Mossies running reconnaissance from Coomalie Creek.

THAT IS history ....... :!: Sq87 also had Lockheed Lightnings later. I can always remember the first Lightning that flew over us at Cougal on the NSW/Qld border. They had an unmistakable whistle, presumably from the air intakes on the twin fuselages. ... later, Harry.
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

I hope that I can hit the steel like that tomorrow. ACT club shoot then Christmas party in the evening. Sunday we shoot NSW state CLAS rifle cal.

That FX is shooting well. I don't get the Excalibre out as much as I should.
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

daisy wrote:I hope that I can hit the steel like that tomorrow. ACT club shoot then Christmas party in the evening. Sunday we shoot NSW state CLAS rifle cal.

That FX is shooting well. I don't get the Excalibre out as much as I should.
Good luck for the shoot David.
What is "NSW state CLAS rifle cal." ?
Did/does Tumut have a shoot this year? I seem to be out of the loop this last couple of years. How is Graeme's grand daughter doing now? She should be out of school maybe at Uni now?
Yes, any miss with the FX Elite is shooter error and or wind reading error. I'd like to see Theo Cassidy shooting it at rimfire pigs. May not be enough pellets in a tin for a hit string! ........ Best regards, Harry.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Good to hear from you again Harry, as always.

The FX is obviously shooting very well. Maybe one day I'll be able to convince you to sell that poor old Hornet that must be feeling neglected! :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, curan.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Yrrah wrote:
stinkitup wrote:My Grandfather was aircraft engineer for the Mossies running reconnaissance from Coomalie Creek.

THAT IS history ....... :!: Sq87 also had Lockheed Lightnings later. I can always remember the first Lightning that flew over us at Cougal on the NSW/Qld border. They had an unmistakable whistle, presumably from the air intakes on the twin fuselages. ... later, Harry.
Yes the mossies are often the most overlooked aircraft of WW2. Everyone can have there Spitfires and Hurricanes, The Mossie had two 12 cylinder supercharged donks and was made from timber :D Could carry more bombs than the Yanks B17 and outrun the Zero's.

Now I have hijacked this again :( :lol: :lol:

Like I said feel free to drop in.

Ryan