SSAA 2014 National Field Target Championships

uncakikki
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08

SSAA 2014 National Field Target Championships

Post by uncakikki »

Hi Guys, I thought I had better post this for your info before we head off to NZ next week. :D

SSAA ACT Inc invites you to the
SSAA 2014 NATIONAL
AIR RIFLE FIELD TARGET
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Friday 3rd October, Saturday 4th, Sunday 5th, Monday 6th October 2014

PLACE: SSAA Majura Range; turn right off Federal Highway onto Majura Road, about 10klms north of Canberra, then 400m and turn left into Hector Macintosh Grove ( Gun Clubs Sign ) and Take the second gate on the right.

PRIZES: Medals all grades, including juniors, 2 gun medals

PROGRAM:
Friday: 8.30am Range open for sight in and tuning
1.30pm 30 shot warm up and Grading match.

Saturday: 7.30am range open for practice
9.00 am 60 shot (2 x 30) Open PCP Air rifle Field Target

National Discipline Sub Committee Meeting will convene at the completion of Saturday competition.

Sunday: 7.30am range open for practice
9.00am 2 x 30 shot Open Springer Air Rifle Field Target

Monday will be used for completion of over runs if necessary.

Cost:- Friday - No Charge
Saturday and Sunday: Adults $25.00 per day Juniors $15.00

Please bring grading card/s. (Ungraded shooters will shoot as “ungraded” as per SSAA Interim Field Target Guide and graded accordingly post match)
http://www.ssaa.org.au/competition-info ... -guide.pdf

On range camping is available with toilet and shower facilities.
Please RSVP by Monday 14th September, 2014.

Note: As this competition is a National Championship shooters are reminded that the results from this competition will be used as selection criteria for future International Team Selection. Shooters interested are reminded that in order to qualify for team selection they must compete using International Class rifles ie: Sub 12Ft lbs / 16 joules muzzle energy. For further information please contact the National Discipline chairman.

Chris Dale (National Air Rifle Field Target Discipline chairman)
0418255874 or
fieldtarget@ssaa.org.au

Presentations each day in clubhouse after completion of shooting.

THE LAW: Whist in the ACT, carry your home state's firearms registration or shooters licence.

NOTE: Camping on the range with water, power and showers. A facilities fee applys, a fee of $5 per person per night. Fires allowed if no current fire ban. Canteen facilities will be available for the weekend.

ENTRIES: To David True , 8 Snowball Place, Wanniassa ACT 2903. Phone Home (02) 62312837, if unattended please leave message.
Email david-anna@bigpond.com

NOTE: Please enter early and list these points :- name, address, home phone, branch, events entered, grades and if sharing rifles (maximum 3 persons per rifle). Please bring your grading cards. Cheques payable to SSAA ACT Inc Silhouette Section.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Re: SSAA 2014 National Field Target Championships

Post by curan »

Good luck with the Nats Chris, but also, good luck in NZ!

I'm sure you'll have a ball with Greyskull and the good folk at Wellington........... (insert the "just a little jealous" smiley here!)

regards, curan
uncakikki
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08

Post by uncakikki »

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Between the World Championships, renovating the house, sick family and preparing for the new bub to arrive I'm surprised I have enough time to actually go to work and earn a living :ohmy: . I've actually copped a bit of a pasteing from some shooters for not being able to respond to their immediate needs but sometimes I have to put myself and my family first. All i have to say to those is: "Sorry Princess"! :)

THere are a few question that have been asked about the shoot so I'll see if I can address them here.

Firstly Power Limit:
Under our rules we currently have no power limit at this stage but we do have a target damage rule so you need to apply a bit of common sense here. At the WFTF World Championships in NZ 28fpe was the limit for high powered guns and some time down the track we may look at something lke that but for the time being we will stick with our rule as it stands. All the targets we will be using now are steel so we don't have the issues we had with the timber ones which got pretty chopped up when hit with in excess of 28fpe. We have had shooters use guns at 40fpe and had no real issues but at that power we start to see a bit "pock" marking on the targets especially the close ones so that is probably a good indication of where not to venture. I can state this and this is in accordance with the rules that if you are damaging targets you will be asked to leave the line. The targets we will be shooting are mine and I won't have them knocked around just for the sake of numbers, spending a month fixing bent and busted targets after everyone else goes home is not going to make Uncle Chris a happy man ;) . I can say this quite confidently though: If you turn up with 60fpe+ Air Ranger or something of similar output that you will be leaving it in the car and will have to share a rifle with someone else. Whilst on that: sharing will only be able to happen in groups of 3 any more than that and its most likely going to be holding everyone else up
we try to be as accomodating as we can but by the same token we have to get through the days shooting.

Grading:
People who haven't shot before need not get concerned but this is how it works. We will have a practice match on the Friday so that people get used to how the shoot runs (you will not be graded from this). Grading can only be obtained from official competition. Ungraded people enter the competition as Ungraded shooters, and shoot the 2 x 30 shot matches, after which you are graded based on the highest score of the 2 matches and that is the grade that you are placed into. The idea of this is to stop people from "burgling", which is what some people have done in the past when you are graded off the first match. ie: they purposely shoot a low grade in the first match and then shoot a blinder in the second (knowing they are capable of it), effectively stealing places and medals from those in the lower grades.

Most importantly :

Enjoy the opportunity to take this discipline to a new level in Australia. Find out how it is done and take it home with you so that we can get it going around the country.

We have a discipline meeting on Saturday after competition has finished to discuss the whole what, when, who, where we are heading and how we want our discipline to run.

As far as what guns you want to shoot and what is the best power levels. My advice is and experience has so far shown that the guys shooting the higher powered guns have very little advantage of the sub 12fpe guys. I think the reason for this is that the blokes shooting high power tend to fall into the trap of thinking that they can just let the gun do the talking and maybe they dont try as hard (just an observation) !

We shoot Open PCP Air rifle on the first day which means anyone can shoot with any PCP they like and Open Springer on Sunday (within reason: Refer above) but remember if you have aspirations toward the World Championships and are interested in being considered for the Australian Team in the futrue then you must shoot sub 12fpe (international class) guns. This format may change in the future and is one thing that will be discussed at our meeting. We have learnt a lot from our New Zealand trip!
B)

If anyone has any questions shoot me a message or respond here and I'll try to answer it as quickly as I can.

Chris
mattw975
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by mattw975 »

Good on you Chris,

Really looking forward to meeting you & the other eager competitors.

Anyone who is "on the fence" regarding going to this event I'd encourage you to go. It's the only way FT will grow :)

Matt W :)

uncakikki wrote:Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Between the World Championships, renovating the house, sick family and preparing for the new bub to arrive I'm surprised I have enough time to actually go to work and earn a living :ohmy: . I've actually copped a bit of a pasteing from some shooters for not being able to respond to their immediate needs but sometimes I have to put myself and my family first. All i have to say to those is: "Sorry Princess"! :)

THere are a few question that have been asked about the shoot so I'll see if I can address them here.

Firstly Power Limit:
Under our rules we currently have no power limit at this stage but we do have a target damage rule so you need to apply a bit of common sense here. At the WFTF World Championships in NZ 28fpe was the limit for high powered guns and some time down the track we may look at something lke that but for the time being we will stick with our rule as it stands. All the targets we will be using now are steel so we don't have the issues we had with the timber ones which got pretty chopped up when hit with in excess of 28fpe. We have had shooters use guns at 40fpe and had no real issues but at that power we start to see a bit "pock" marking on the targets especially the close ones so that is probably a good indication of where not to venture. I can state this and this is in accordance with the rules that if you are damaging targets you will be asked to leave the line. The targets we will be shooting are mine and I won't have them knocked around just for the sake of numbers, spending a month fixing bent and busted targets after everyone else goes home is not going to make Uncle Chris a happy man ;) . I can say this quite confidently though: If you turn up with 60fpe+ Air Ranger or something of similar output that you will be leaving it in the car and will have to share a rifle with someone else. Whilst on that: sharing will only be able to happen in groups of 3 any more than that and its most likely going to be holding everyone else up
we try to be as accomodating as we can but by the same token we have to get through the days shooting.

Grading:
People who haven't shot before need not get concerned but this is how it works. We will have a practice match on the Friday so that people get used to how the shoot runs (you will not be graded from this). Grading can only be obtained from official competition. Ungraded people enter the competition as Ungraded shooters, and shoot the 2 x 30 shot matches, after which you are graded based on the highest score of the 2 matches and that is the grade that you are placed into. The idea of this is to stop people from "burgling", which is what some people have done in the past when you are graded off the first match. ie: they purposely shoot a low grade in the first match and then shoot a blinder in the second (knowing they are capable of it), effectively stealing places and medals from those in the lower grades.

Most importantly :

Enjoy the opportunity to take this discipline to a new level in Australia. Find out how it is done and take it home with you so that we can get it going around the country.

We have a discipline meeting on Saturday after competition has finished to discuss the whole what, when, who, where we are heading and how we want our discipline to run.

As far as what guns you want to shoot and what is the best power levels. My advice is and experience has so far shown that the guys shooting the higher powered guns have very little advantage of the sub 12fpe guys. I think the reason for this is that the blokes shooting high power tend to fall into the trap of thinking that they can just let the gun do the talking and maybe they dont try as hard (just an observation) !

We shoot Open PCP Air rifle on the first day which means anyone can shoot with any PCP they like and Open Springer on Sunday (within reason: Refer above) but remember if you have aspirations toward the World Championships and are interested in being considered for the Australian Team in the futrue then you must shoot sub 12fpe (international class) guns. This format may change in the future and is one thing that will be discussed at our meeting. We have learnt a lot from our New Zealand trip!
B)

If anyone has any questions shoot me a message or respond here and I'll try to answer it as quickly as I can.

Chris
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Thanks for the post Chris.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Thanks for the post Chris, answered the question I had re power, sorry we couldn't catch up while I was up this way, and best of luck with the shoot.
Cheers
Ol 55
I trust there will be updates and photos.
mattw975
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by mattw975 »

Just got back from this wonderful event. It is totally addictive, fun & friendly....I'm practising for the next event already :)

A huge thanks to Chris & Heather for organising it, the McCarthy family for their help in running the event & Dave at Majura range for the superb hospitality :)

Matt W :)

uncakikki wrote:Hi Guys, I thought I had better post this for your info before we head off to NZ next week. :D

SSAA ACT Inc invites you to the
SSAA 2014 NATIONAL
AIR RIFLE FIELD TARGET
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Friday 3rd October, Saturday 4th, Sunday 5th, Monday 6th October 2014

PLACE: SSAA Majura Range; turn right off Federal Highway onto Majura Road, about 10klms north of Canberra, then 400m and turn left into Hector Macintosh Grove ( Gun Clubs Sign ) and Take the second gate on the right.

PRIZES: Medals all grades, including juniors, 2 gun medals

PROGRAM:
Friday: 8.30am Range open for sight in and tuning
1.30pm 30 shot warm up and Grading match.

Saturday: 7.30am range open for practice
9.00 am 60 shot (2 x 30) Open PCP Air rifle Field Target

National Discipline Sub Committee Meeting will convene at the completion of Saturday competition.

Sunday: 7.30am range open for practice
9.00am 2 x 30 shot Open Springer Air Rifle Field Target

Monday will be used for completion of over runs if necessary.

Cost:- Friday - No Charge
Saturday and Sunday: Adults $25.00 per day Juniors $15.00

Please bring grading card/s. (Ungraded shooters will shoot as “ungraded” as per SSAA Interim Field Target Guide and graded accordingly post match)
http://www.ssaa.org.au/competition-info ... -guide.pdf

On range camping is available with toilet and shower facilities.
Please RSVP by Monday 14th September, 2014.

Note: As this competition is a National Championship shooters are reminded that the results from this competition will be used as selection criteria for future International Team Selection. Shooters interested are reminded that in order to qualify for team selection they must compete using International Class rifles ie: Sub 12Ft lbs / 16 joules muzzle energy. For further information please contact the National Discipline chairman.

Chris Dale (National Air Rifle Field Target Discipline chairman)
0418255874 or
fieldtarget@ssaa.org.au

Presentations each day in clubhouse after completion of shooting.

THE LAW: Whist in the ACT, carry your home state's firearms registration or shooters licence.

NOTE: Camping on the range with water, power and showers. A facilities fee applys, a fee of $5 per person per night. Fires allowed if no current fire ban. Canteen facilities will be available for the weekend.

ENTRIES: To David True , 8 Snowball Place, Wanniassa ACT 2903. Phone Home (02) 62312837, if unattended please leave message.
Email david-anna@bigpond.com

NOTE: Please enter early and list these points :- name, address, home phone, branch, events entered, grades and if sharing rifles (maximum 3 persons per rifle). Please bring your grading cards. Cheques payable to SSAA ACT Inc Silhouette Section.