"short range" pellet for Theoben Rapid?

trapper
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

"short range" pellet for Theoben Rapid?

Post by trapper »

Hi All,
I have a 0.25cal Rapid Mk1 with about 45fpe power. It was purchased for shooting rabbits and the occasional fox. My airgun needs are now more in line with shooting birds (Indian mynas have just started colonising my neighbourhood).

The Rapid has too much range for safe use where I live. Shooting varmints on the ground is fine, but shooting birds in trees carries too much risk of a stray pellet ending up in a neighbour's property. I tried selling my Rapid with the intention of buying a lower-powered PCP in either a 0.20 or 0.22 cal, but I got no takers. My asking price was half what the total package cost me. I couldn't stomach going any lower than that.

I'm investigating the possibility of reducing the power of the gun, but this looks like it might be a lot of work. So I was wondering if there is a such a thing as a "short range" pellet? A pellet that would kill a bird at say 20m, but quickly loses velocity at longer ranges. I guess said pellet would need to have a lot of drag or be quite light. I currently use Beeman Crow magnum pellets for birds and Kodiaks for longer range stuff (on larger properties).

Would appreciate any advice.
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Re: "short range" pellet for Theoben Rapid?

Post by daisy »

You can ask the question on cal change here http://theoben-rapid.co.uk/.
It's a site full of Theoben info .
I got a Rapid M2 in 22 . One of the last ones Potter had . It was a deal too good to pass up.
Now I always have trouble deciding to shoot it or my 22 cal Excalibre .

Daisy
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

Thanks daisy, I'll post a question on the forum you suggested. I wonder how difficult/expensive it would be to convert to 0.20 or 0.22 cal? I would probably still want to reduce the power a bit too.

How many FPE is your Mk2?
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

trapper wrote:Thanks daisy, I'll post a question on the forum you suggested. I wonder how difficult/expensive it would be to convert to 0.20 or 0.22 cal? I would probably still want to reduce the power a bit too.

How many FPE is your Mk2?
Haven't put it over the chrony in a while but I think it was around 34ft/lb with 18b JSBs
mattw975
.17 HMR

Post by mattw975 »

A .25 Rapid is a lot of gun for short range Mynah's.

If you are still interested in selling it, PM me as a mate of mine was looking for one recently.

Cheers,

Matt W :)
trapper wrote:Hi All,
I have a 0.25cal Rapid Mk1 with about 45fpe power. It was purchased for shooting rabbits and the occasional fox. My airgun needs are now more in line with shooting birds (Indian mynas have just started colonising my neighbourhood).

The Rapid has too much range for safe use where I live. Shooting varmints on the ground is fine, but shooting birds in trees carries too much risk of a stray pellet ending up in a neighbour's property. I tried selling my Rapid with the intention of buying a lower-powered PCP in either a 0.20 or 0.22 cal, but I got no takers. My asking price was half what the total package cost me. I couldn't stomach going any lower than that.

I'm investigating the possibility of reducing the power of the gun, but this looks like it might be a lot of work. So I was wondering if there is a such a thing as a "short range" pellet? A pellet that would kill a bird at say 20m, but quickly loses velocity at longer ranges. I guess said pellet would need to have a lot of drag or be quite light. I currently use Beeman Crow magnum pellets for birds and Kodiaks for longer range stuff (on larger properties).

Would appreciate any advice.
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

Hi Matt,
Thanks but I've decided to keep the gun rather than take a bath on the price. I spent a lot of time fitting a quick-fill adaptor through the stock so that it looked "factory". I would rather spend a bit more $ converting to 0.20 or 0.22cal as daisy suggest than part with the gun at a big loss.

FWIW, I spent $3550 on the gun, scope, Harris bipod, bottle clamp, 300BAR cylinder, quick fill adaptor and hose, gun case and 20 tins of pellets, but couldn't sell if for $1700. Sobering. :shock:

Regards,
Jack
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

trapper wrote:Hi Matt,
Thanks but I've decided to keep the gun rather than take a bath on the price. I spent a lot of time fitting a quick-fill adaptor through the stock so that it looked "factory". I would rather spend a bit more $ converting to 0.20 or 0.22cal as daisy suggest than part with the gun at a big loss.

FWIW, I spent $3550 on the gun, scope, Harris bipod, bottle clamp, 300BAR cylinder, quick fill adaptor and hose, gun case and 20 tins of pellets, but couldn't sell if for $1700. Sobering. :shock:

Regards,
Jack
G'day Trapper,

I'd be tempted to keep the Rapid as is for when temptation takes you rabbit hunting or the like, and pick up a cheap breakbarrel for your current need. There are plenty of low power break barrels available secondhand, and it would be cheaper and quicker than rebarrelling.

Just my 2c worth, but I'd be grabbing something like http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/18435/BSA_Meteor.html and throwing a scope on it and busting the mynas. Old school, I know, but lower power, simple and fun.

And predator pellets are even more fun!

cheers, curan
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

Hi curan, that's a good idea. Thanks for the link. I've sent an email to the seller enquiring about dealer transfer fees.
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

Curan,
I bought the BSA Meteor you referred to in your post. Just waiting for the transfer to my local gun shop. You reckon the Predators would go well in this gun (it's a .177cal)?
Jack
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Re:

Post by curan »

trapper wrote:Curan,
I bought the BSA Meteor you referred to in your post. Just waiting for the transfer to my local gun shop. You reckon the Predators would go well in this gun (it's a .177cal)?
Jack
Yeah Jack, you can get the predators in .177. I think you will be impressed. But any of the standard weight (8 to 10gr)domed pellets should do well. Other may work as well, but I would start with domed if you decide the predators are too pricey.

And I should mention that that the BSA was only an example of what you can pick up at a reasonable price. But it is a handy size, and should dispatch mynahs out to 20m. Although you may need to get used to how it likes to be held for consistent accuracy. Springers can be a bit fussy in how firmly you hold them. My FWB124 definitely likes to be cuddled!
Remember that you probably need an air rated scope on a springer, should you decide to fit one.

So does the Meteor look as good in the flesh as in the photos? It looked pretty tidy in the advert.

cheers, curan
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

OK, I'll grab some Predators when I pick up the gun. I bought the Meteor, because I used to shoot a mate's Meteor .22 cal 35 years ago and liked it. Any gun they sell 2 million of has to be pretty good. It must be the AK47 of airguns!

Haven't seen it in the flesh, but the dealer reckons the stock is in good nick. Can't really go wrong for $129!
Hilly
.17 HMR

Post by Hilly »

Even if you need to fit a new spring, piston seal and breech seal you still cannot go wrong at that price!
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I use the predators in the 20 cal R9, 14Gr and they are perfect for mynahs! and rats for that matter 8)
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

Thanks for the feedback fellas.
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

I got the Meteor, and it's a nice gun. Can anyone recommend a reasonable quality springer-rated scope to suit?