Rats, Hw80, JSB.25

Whitey
.17 HMR

Rats, Hw80, JSB.25

Post by Whitey »

Took my HW80K in .25 rat shooting tonight. Thought it would be good to see how it went. The .25 pellet is very effective. Shoulder/body shots nailed them and head shots go without saying. I assume its running in the 500-600 fps range as I don't have a chrony. There are sections where I shoot through chicken mesh. The number of deflections seems to be higher with .25 compared to .177 which makes sense. Got approx. 30-35 tonight so not a bad outing for its first. Got a few big toads also. Takes them out very well also. I am enjoying getting back to the springers abit more recently.
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Re: Rats, Hw80, JSB.25

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Whitey wrote:Took my HW80K in .25 rat shooting tonight. Thought it would be good to see how it went. The .25 pellet is very effective. Shoulder/body shots nailed them and head shots go without saying. I assume its running in the 500-600 fps range as I don't have a chrony. There are sections where I shoot through chicken mesh. The number of deflections seems to be higher with .25 compared to .177 which makes sense. Got approx. 30-35 tonight so not a bad outing for its first. Got a few big toads also. Takes them out very well also. I am enjoying getting back to the springers abit more recently.

I like springers and .25's.It's a nice big pellet that's easy to handle and load.No fumbling around!!

I still have some Crow Magnums left if you're interested at $10/tin posted.

How does the new JM seal work,Brendan?
hornetboy
Favourite Cartridge: 22 hornet

Post by hornetboy »

I used to do a lot of ratting in a mate's poultry shed, and can say unequivocally that there is no more fun on planet earth! A quality AG is the best sporting money you can spend. Funny thing, we used to notice that the young ones were easier to get than the older ones ( a bit like foxes). The young ones would come out to the bait before the big "silverbacks", kind of like an advance guard. If they weren't molested, then the whoppers came out.I found the larger calibres a big advantage with knock-down power, as a rat's head is a very shall target, and they are constantly moving, especially if they'd met us before! I highly recommend shooting glasses as there are a lot of hard surfaces and angles in a shed. Perhaps Ausvarmint could look to acquire an infested shed for all it's devoted AG members to enjoy!!!
Chrispy
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 221 Furball

Post by Chrispy »

Whitey, is yours a factory 25 cal or an aftermarket? Anyway, good shooting, and am a little jealous that you had a great nights work!

Chrispy
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

Good nights shooting, sounds like fun. Do you use a gun mount torch, any filters ?

Daisy
Whitey
.17 HMR

Post by Whitey »

Chrispy, the HW80 was a .177 originally. I bought and imported a K barrel from a dealer in Canada.

Daisy, I use my Fenix TK11 R2 with a red filter. I have several base mounts on different rigs so it's easy to swap from rifle to rifle.

Lewis, the seal seems fine. I really have to get a chrony. Which would you recommend? Anyone?

Thanks guys.
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Whitey wrote:Chrispy, the HW80 was a .177 originally. I bought and imported a K barrel from a dealer in Canada.

Daisy, I use my Fenix TK11 R2 with a red filter. I have several base mounts on different rigs so it's easy to swap from rifle to rifle.

Lewis, the seal seems fine. I really have to get a chrony. Which would you recommend? Anyone?

Thanks guys.

OK Brendan.Great!!
I have used a Target Tronics PM110 for years but the only one you'll get now is S/H.It's terrific because it is self sufficient for light and you can punch in weights and get FPS and FP.
I guess there is still only Chrony.
Dennis La Varenne
Favourite Cartridge: .22 Air Rifle

Post by Dennis La Varenne »

Brendan,

Any chance of your letting us in to where you got your .25K barrel from in Canada? I am certainly interested in one as well.
Dennis La Varenne
Favourite Cartridge: .22 Air Rifle

Post by Dennis La Varenne »

Brendan,

I have just recently got one of those K barrels from a Canadian supplier (probably the same as yours) and have installed it easily enough. However, using the open sights at 5 metres, it shoots very low, viz. with the rear sight set to lowest elevation, it shoots 15 cm low and with the rear sight set to maximum elevation, it still shoots 6.5cm low. Here are the ballistics from my Chrony -

25.4gn JSB Exact Kings and Beeman Ram Jets - 563fps av.
20gn Webley Mosquitos - 643fps av.

These velocities are what I would have expected with the standard spring, but I cannot account for why it shoots so low at such short range. The breech lockup is quite tight with absolutely NO movement. The barrel is dead straight against my steel straight-edge. However, with the breech closed, it does look as if the muzzle is pointing downward slightly by about 1mm when the line of the top of the barrel is compared with the line of the top of the cylinder. They should parallel each other. Nevertheless, with the open sights mounted on the barrel and breechblock, there should still be enough vertical compensation to have the pellet striking at least dead in line with the bore at only 5 metres I would have thought.

I have emailed Weihrauch about this and asked for their help.

Any suggestions/fixes anybody?????
Chrispy
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 221 Furball

Post by Chrispy »

Maybe lower the front sight post a little? If it is a screw in, then adjust it a quarter turn at a time and test. If it is fixed, then file a small amount at a time, then test.

I am assuming the sights you have are the original 177 sights, which would have a different trajectory to the 25 cal.

Chrispy
uncakikki
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08

Post by uncakikki »

Spot on Crispy, I believe the front sight blade is different for the 2 different calibres. 1mm of difference on the foresight will make quite a difference even at 5m.
SteveR
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by SteveR »

G'day guys,

Bringing up an old thread, but I now own Dennis' HW80 and it was great to read about your experiences. I have fitted a v-mach kit and at the time was getting 700 fps with FTT. It's now shooting much smoother, more like my R9... Bought from Lewis.

It's great to have dealt with so many great people from one forum post; Lewis, Dennis, Chris.

Question: do you guys think there is any harm to the rifle in using heavier pellets in the .25? I have a couple of tins of 25gn crow magnums I'd like to make use on rats and toads. They are definitely slower than FTT. I'm loving the HW80 btw. Made a delrin cocking aid of sorts that makes cocking it easier.

Cheers.