Switched to DYNAMIC tin alloy pellets. (video)

VarmintAir

Switched to DYNAMIC tin alloy pellets. (video)

Post by VarmintAir »

The ranch that I hunt ground squirrels on has banned the use of lead ammunition starting next year. The search was on for some non-lead pellets.

I was able to get some of the DYNAMIC PCP 2 tin alloy pellets in .22 cal. to try. I hunted with them last week and they performed great.

Here's a video of a couple ground squirrels I took at a bit over 60 yards with my FX Whisper shooting the PCP 2s.

http://imageevent.com/varmintair/videos ... =4&s=0&z=2
astro

Post by astro »

i was discussing this with guys on an english forum, i wonder if you are to get non lead pellets in OZ since over time my property is going to collect heaps of pellets. looking to build pellet traps to collect and possibly recycle into fishing sinkers.....but either way they get into the environment
plantboy

Post by plantboy »

I imported some Dynamic .22 tin pellets from the Uk about 6 years ago. They shot quite well in my old BSA Superstar, but were really too expensive to keep on buying from Bob Ruggles(?).
Don't know what Lewis thinks of them or whether he would consider becoming the Aussie importer. I don't think they do anything in .20 though.
VarmintAir

Post by VarmintAir »

We don't have a distributor for them here in the US either. I'm getting them from England, and they run about $21 US landed, per box of 400 .22s.

Crosman has introduced a couple non-lead pellets in .177, but they only weigh 4.8 grains. Not very practical for the critter hunting that I do.

Unfortunately, it looks like this lead ammo ban is going to continue to expand here in the US, so I'm sure more folks will be looking for non-lead pellets.
plantboy

Post by plantboy »

Just did a quick google and found that Prometheus Dynamic tin alloy air bullets (pellets) are available in the UK in all AG calibres. Also found Logun Penetrator 'no lead' pellets that look similar to the Dynamic round. Penetrators are also available in all calibres, and are stocked by numerous US outlets including Pyramidair and Straightshooters.

.20 Logun penetrators are 15.6gr at US$12.48/400. .177s weigh 9.5gr while .22s are 20.5gr. Interesting weights and could be a real killer in a tuned .20 R9 I reckon.

I'm also concerned about spreading too much lead around my property and would like to be able to get these pellets locally. I wouldn't even think of trying private importation of ammo these days. Lewis, can you help?
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Nice work Varmint air!!! Noticed you have a scope mounted camcorder!!! A lot of fun aye?
VarmintAir

Post by VarmintAir »

Actually the Logun Penetrators are lead. Somehow the impression is around that they are not. However I've been in direct contact with the manufacturer, and they are lead.

Defence Associates makes both pellets. Here's some info I pulled together regarding both pellets. I have both types in my possession. I think some of the confussion comes from the way people read their label.

The LOGUN Penetrator pellets are infact lead. They are made by the same company that makes the DYNAMIC pellets, and look very much alike, but that's where the similarity ends.

Since a picture is worth a 1000 words, here's some pics of both pellets, and their packaging. You will notice on the Penetrator's label, that it states, "no LEAD PELLET penetrates deeper. Here is a quote from Pyramyds own site. "No Other Lead Pellet Penetrates Deeper! The most humane and effective hunting pellet in the world".

The DYNAMIC pellets are an alloy made up of tin, antimony, and a bit of copper. They have a lower friction coefficient against steel than lead. You will notice that the lead Penetrators are shorter for a given weight than the DYNAMICS. That makes sense, since lead is more dense than a tin alloy. It doesn't show up in the picture, but the color between the lead pellet and tin alloy pellet is different also.

plantboy

Post by plantboy »

:oops: I must getting old, when I can't even read the label accurately. Thanks for correcting my very wrong interpretation Varmintair.

The Dynamic pellets I tried some years ago were of the tin alloy type and they were suitable for springers. I think they were called SN2 and they were quite good in my old Superstar.
VarmintAir

Post by VarmintAir »

Plantboy, not a problem. You weren't the only one. If you read the article about the Penetrators on Pyramyds own site, the guy writing the article thinks they are non-lead as well.

When I started looking into this, I was told by several other knowledgeable folks, that the Penetrators were non-lead also. I was shooting them in several calibers, and all the ones I had were lead. Because I could face some pretty hefty penalties if caught shooting lead ammo next year, I went directly to the manufacturer for clarification.

That's when I found out that the Penetrator, and DYNAMIC look very much alike, but are made from different materials.

You are right, The DYNAMICS are incredibly accurate in my guns, and kill just as efficiently as the lead Penetrators.

Here's a pic. of some ground squirrels that I took with them about a week ago.