Thinking about a 177

nate
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: Thinking about a 177

Post by nate »

yeah +1 on JD.

The only "feasible" solution to <12fpe is a .177, as .22 is really slow.
I'm still trying to tune my blizzard .22 down to 12, but after a barrel clean & pellet lube - it jumped back up to 20fpe!

either way - grab a PCP & get into it, you'll be fine in AU - and if you're aiming for world class - you can gear up later.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

JD wrote:
RayG wrote:Well that cut the field down a lot! You can go 2 ways on guns based on sub 12FPE a .177 Springer (Recoiling class) or an upmarket PCP sub 12 FPE target rifle,
kitted out for FT. The top PCP .177 target guns velocities are usually factory set at 550fps -650fps with 7- 8.5 grain slugs. (Roughly 5-6 FPE).you can shoot FT quite well with these.
Any of the more powerful guns would present a detuning problem but it can be done.
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you are saying here but I'll clarify a few things.

There are two classes, International- run at <12fpe and Open, which is 12fpe+ up to usually 20fpe with the limit usually dictated by the match director with regards to target damage. Often 20fpe will be the magic spot. If you have hopes of competing in international comps or getting on the Australian team then you should consider gearing yourself up (or choosing a rifle that can be easily down tuned) to shoot the 12fpe class. But....if you have a gun that runs faster turn up and shoot it! Don't wait until you save up to buy a new rifle. If you are running ~28fpe like most 22 PCP's I'd be surprised if there wasn't someone at the club with the knowledge to turn your gun down a bit so you aren't smashing targets.

The top PCP .177 target guns running 550-650fps are 10m guns, not FT guns. The likes of Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, Walter, Steyr etc. If you choose one of these and can't up the power easily to 12fpe (often easier to lower the power than raise it) then you will be at a severe limitation. They are great guns for what they were designed for, 10m, but they aren't superior for FT.

At the top $$ wise you have the likes of the Styer LG110FT, which can be set at either 12fpe or 20+fpe. But any PCP can be turned down, just some are a little easier than others. Your Air Arms can be turned down also, and while it might be a .22 cal and will suffer a bit more of a loopy trajectory it shouldn't stop you competing for fun and anyway, if you set your gear up, get a good range finding scope and learn your distances you can run with the best - it's just your margin for error is a little smaller.

But any gun can be used successfully, especially in PCP as they are pretty much all accurate. Generally people make a few mods to the stock to make it a little more ergonomic for the FT positions, or go for a full custom stock with adjustability built in - or you can just cobble something together.

Spring guns, again, you can use what you have but the leaders tend to be the fixed barrel guns like the Air Arms TX200, Weihraugh HW77/97 and Walther LGU. Tuned for a smoother shot cycle and less recoil, but spring guns are still much more difficult to shoot as accurately.

The biggest factor I really found is spending the time to set up and learn your gear. If you put the time in to dialing into your scope and practicing, then it's rare that the gear will be the limiting factor.

Cheers.
Thanks for that don't want to chase a team spot, had enough of that when I shot pistols, not that I didn't like wearing green and gold but didn't like the politics.
Just want to do a bit of plinking and maybe the odd FT shoot, I think I will buy something and get it tuned to 20 fpe and away we go.

Now what do I buy?

Cheers
Ol 55
nate
.22 WMR

Post by nate »

Evanix Blizzard... All the work has been done, $3 spring = 20, 30, 45 fpe :)
JWD
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .177

Post by JWD »

Looking for Something new Nate?
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

"Best value for money on the current market is the BSA Bucaneer. I helped review the sister rifle, the Gamo Coyote, but I find the BSA stock much better balanced. The 177 is shipped out from the UK at 16 fpe, yes, it was chronied. I was shooting 1/2" groups at 50m with JSB exact heavies."

Easily tuned to 12 FPE if need be or factory setting for bunnies. :wink:

You'll be chasing rainbows with the 22 cal, trajectory wise. However, once you now your rifle, it will be second nature. The last Hornsby shoot was taken out by a HW97K sub 12 0.177 springer. Second was a BSA Hornet running at about 14 fpe.

Last year's Nationals was won with a Sub 12 fpe HW98 Spriger (95 in a nice suit) and a Benjamin Maurauder PCP also 0.177 sub 12. You'll find that in a field of mix powered rifles, the sub twelves generally take out the first three positions. I think it's more shooter attitude than anything else.

The choice in using a sub 12 fpe rifle has nothing to do with chasing a spot on the National Team. They are just generally better behaved and easier to shoot; particularly Springers. :D
nate
.22 WMR

Post by nate »

JWD wrote:Looking for Something new Nate?
no, just getting more onto the winning team :)
JWD
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .177

Post by JWD »

Guys,

I will be on range duty at Hornsby this evening from 7pm.

All welcome to come along if you want some practice and we can set up a few targets for you.
Druid66
Favourite Cartridge: .20 Cal

Post by Druid66 »

Not that I know much; but personally I`m not a big fan of .177 in either platform :)
Partly because everybody else has got it and also because I`ve got big sausage fingers that find it a very fiddly to load :?

My main reservation about .177 though is the lack of Downrange Energy it delivers on Longer Range Shots (ie 35yard+) Particularly when a gun is only pushing 11.whatever out at the muzzle - I just know I`ve seen one too many knockdown targets hit fair and square smack in the kill zone at longer distances and fail to drop to put me off using a .177 ever again.

I know I`m in a minority but personally I`d rather use a .22 Cal medium weight pellet like H&N Field Target Trophy in a Sub-12FPE Rifle and learn the trajectory curve - At least you can be more confident that the target will actually fall if you hit it!?

Then again I wouldn't use that big lumper of a pill either for FT because since I saw the light two years ago I now only shoot .20Cal 8)
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Welcome to the Forum Druid. Ah, I wondered when the discussion on the Satan's calibre was going to raise its head.

:poke:
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

Yep 20cal was going to get into this, Druid is a believer as am I.
I have been using a Theoben Rapid .20 shooting at mainly 18 FPE for pest bird work and I wind up the power for larger small game and the odd competition,
mainly silhouette and the occasional casual FT match (Back at 18FPE). As a hunting calibre imho its hard to beat it shoots almost as flat as .177 in its flight and hits very much like a .22.
The pigeons I have hit out to 50 yards didn't know what hit 'em. So I guess it depends on what will work for you as always. :wink:
mattw975
.17 HMR

Post by mattw975 »

I love my 0.20 cal Rapid to :)
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

Ah! there is still a light in the distance out there! Way to go Matt. :D
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

If you have to have a .20 cal have it in an air rifle :-). Love my r9 in .20. Will have to chrony my h&n FTT they seem to have always shot better than the jsb.....well just! And are flatter to shoot. So far the jsbs are just over 12ft lb I thought I tested them both but cant remember.

The 20 r9 so far flattens rats with wings and rats using crow magnums, predators and jsbs. Next on the list is some bunnies that are near a mates house on their property.

Since i have a heap of 20 cal pills always thought a steyer in 20 would do the trick.

Ryan
Druid66
Favourite Cartridge: .20 Cal

Post by Druid66 »

I must say it`s very pleasing to see the popularity of the Goldilocks Calibre increasing steadily - Interesting too that it seems that the moment of epiphany only seems to strike when one finally decides to try it for themselves :shock:

The real life advantages are often quite hard to explain to the number crunchers and graph jockeys too - but as so many respected old hands both here and elsewhere have eventually found out `The proof of the pudding is in the eating` 8)
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

And then Ray, there's my Sheridan Blue Streak in the Satan's own measurements. Matching unopened container of collectable cylindrical pellets in a yellow Sheridan box. Of ourse I only puy FTTs through it. :D

The FTTs come out a lit faster in my HW97K than the JSBs, almost 50 fps difference in a very similar weight pellet. It is the difference between a sub 12 shoot and a 14 FT fpe shoot. I switched to JSB RSs because I felt that H&N had taken their eyes off quality control in the recent couple of years.

What about a HW100KTL in 20 instead Ryan? Centreway has one for $1,600 only $100 more than the 100KT. Bargain. :wink:
Last edited by grmkc on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.