Field Target Competition - Hornsby Smallbore Range - Sat 18th Jul

JWD
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .177

Re: Field Target Competition - Hornsby Smallbore Range - Sat 18th Jul

Post by JWD »

Good morning everyone,

Just letting you know that we are all still good to go despite the weather.

The firing point area is fully covered and we have a wood burning heater in the clubhouse to keep things comfortable so rain will not affect things.

Looking forward to a good turnout tomorrow.
firing points.jpg
firing points.jpg (55.87 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Looking back at hut.jpg
Looking back at hut.jpg (62.22 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Have fun. :D
JWD
.17 HMR

Post by JWD »

I'm hearing it was a good day. Very windy but some good results from the .22 shooters. Good turnout of 15 people taking advance of the cold but dry conditions.

Anyone who was there today want to provide some updates?
lawsie
Favourite Cartridge: 221 fireball

Post by lawsie »

It was an enjoyable day for all that attended.

If you don't mind me asking where did you get the newer gamo targets from JWD?
JWD
.17 HMR

Post by JWD »

Glad you could make it Lawsie.

The Gamo targets are the new style. They've been out for a while overseas but have only just arrived here now that the wholesalers had run out of stock of the old model. I got them on eBay as a bulk purchase for about $27 each.
Stonechucker

Post by Stonechucker »

Im sorry I couldn't make the shoot, snow / ice had closed the roads and I couldn't get through :(

Maybe next one :D
nate
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by nate »

yeah it was a great day.

The new little spinners worked well too - my dodgy welding only had 1 target failure.
Will need to get more done bit by bit.

I think we need to have some more sighting in targets too - we had a target out at 47m or so, but nothing to assist with sighting in.
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

May I be so bold as to suggest 15, 25, 35 & 45m at minimum; measured. If you really want to go whole hog like all other official comps then 8, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 & 50 and allow an hour for guys to calibrate their rifle/scope combination. I understand the latter is standard at every weekend comp in the UK.

Otherwise everyone is depending on a sighting that they did ................. whenever prior to the day.
nate
.22 WMR

Post by nate »

grmkc wrote:May I be so bold as to suggest 15, 25, 35 & 45m at minimum; measured.
sounds good.
what targets to use thou?
paper? need to know where you are on them
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

nate wrote:
grmkc wrote:May I be so bold as to suggest 15, 25, 35 & 45m at minimum; measured.
sounds good.
what targets to use thou?
paper? need to know where you are on them
How about something that includes drop in inches or something? Eg a 40/45 mm circle with a grid marked. I have gen found yellow paper with red good as most holes show up as black? But I could see my holes in those black ones we had last week.
JWD
.17 HMR

Post by JWD »

I like this idea. Something like a sheet of A4 cardboard with horizontal lines 1cm apart and an aiming mark. Placed on sticks at 5m increments. Tried something similar in the past (bigger guns) and it really got people clued into where to be aiming to hit the centre from different ranges.

Something I thought would be done during practice though rather than as part of the day (Logistics of setting this up for multiple people). If we can get some interest and extend the duration of the comps then happy to give it a try.
ranging target2small.jpg
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

That's starting to spoon feed and inappropriate.

Standard 50m target cards and you can calculate the drops and reticle compensation for your own setup. You just need to know the POI from your aim point and compensate with holdover/under or appropriate number of clicks for the set distance. If we have 25 shooters then there are enough targets on the 50m card at each set distance for about the shooters at one each; there are generally an extra 5 sighting targets on the side that can be used, so up to 30 shooters.

Part of the comp needs to include sighting in to suit the day's conditions. Not appropriate to sight in on a still & sunny day practice day and shoot the same sighting on a wet day with a northerly wind. I would suggest an hour for sight in before the comp (@ 12:00) and start the comp at 13:00. The SSAA and International rules state that there is no further sighting of rifles after the initial allocated time, unlike 50m bench rest shoots.

You're still going to be done by 16:00. If you arrive late and not allow yourself enough time to sight your rifle then you need to learn about the rigidity of formal FT shooting. Bit harsh but that's what happens at State and National levels, and I feel that it's appropriate to set the bar at the required level. We've had 4(?) shoots at Hornsby now, it's time to go onwards and upwards.

That still leaves plenty of time to have a sausage and drive home to Bathurst, Newcastle or Melbourne.

I bet you a cup of coffee that the 40mm target with drop measurements doesn't happen in F Class Ryan. :wink: :wink:

My apologies if I'm being a bit too forthright.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

grmkc wrote:That's starting to spoon feed and inappropriate. ......

I bet you a cup of coffee that the 40mm target with drop measurements doesn't happen in F Class Ryan. :wink: :wink:

My apologies if I'm being a bit too forthright.
Won't hear me complain...I turned up last week completely un ready my own fault so just the sight in was good but I think a two targets at known distances is plenty 10 and 30 just to check your near and far trajectory.

Those buggers in f-class are protective, don't know your zero no shoot! Might take out the electronic targets :?

Ryan
nate
.22 WMR

Post by nate »

What if i make up a spinner target that has 3-4 spinners vertically - with really close spacing?
make up a few of those?
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Thats time and money nate and you don't get a permanent fix on where the pellet hits in relation to the aim point. The clubs has plenty of target cards and mounts. We only need 4. Don't over complicate things. The analogy; If computer tablets were so good, why do astronauts still use pen/pencil & paper?