FAULTY STOEGER AIR RIFLES

palm grove 888
Favourite Cartridge: 20BR

FAULTY STOEGER AIR RIFLES

Post by palm grove 888 »

Does anyone have a current model Stoeger X2O etc that does not shoot ?

We drove almost 1900klm / 1100miles to deliver the Stoeger back to the distributor because pellets fall thru the barrel and it will not hit a 200 ltr from from 25m. It shoots approx 1.5m Right & 900mm High at this distance with an overall group size of about a car door......

The distributor "tested ?" the rifle for accuracy then freighted it back saying it was within manufacturers specs and should only be used to a MAX of 15yds (22cal) ???

(We are expecting too much for it to shoot groups @ 25m.)

They stipulated to use STOEGER HEAVY ALLOY pellets as this was how it performed best. Heavy and ALLOY don't normally go together in the same sentence ?

So the 10 different styles, weights ranging 12.3gr - 21gr & head diameters of H&N + JSB pellets was where we are going wrong FFS !

BTW the STOEGER PELLETS their "miracle elixir" are made by H&N so go figure !

We are about to put together a YOUTUBE Video clip and are looking for any other sub standard STOEGERS we can add to this clip.

To pay roughly $600 for a GAS RAM 22cal air rifle with less range and accuracy than a 50 y.o. DAISY BB gun STINKS.....
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Re: FAULTY STOEGER AIR RIFLES

Post by grmkc »

A long way to drive just to get a rifle to Beretta! I'm going to assume that you live as far away as Bris Vegas or the WA/SA border as Beretta is in Melbourne.

Can you please provide a bit more technical information so some of us can put a full picture together in our heads? From memory, you have had issues with ARs before with the Fx Gladiator not shooting as well as you had liked. Did you ever resolve that?

I would find it unacceptable myself for a Spring/GasRam rifle to be accurate out to only 15m. My HW97K shot 8mm groups at 50m. If that's the case then ask for your money back as it is not fit for purpose. You can get better for the money.

Info required:

* Rifle calibre
* Type of pellet and weight in grains
* Chronographed velocity of said pellet
* Type of scope on the rifle
* Shooting position (benchrested, seated, bipod, military hold etc)
* Use of rifle (plinking, target, hunting etc)
* Your shooting background (sorry, I'm not trying to be a smart arse but all the info counts)

Cheers
fenring

Post by fenring »

Sounds like they are talking shit IMO.

15m?
palm grove 888

Post by palm grove 888 »

The Stoeger belongs to a mate. I was the driver to Melbourne.

As for pellets we tried everything Polymags, JSB's, H&N's in different head dia and various weights plus Stoegers & some GAMO's.

As for a scope... I tried a couple of spares I have here.

In the end I fitted Burris Zee Rings with eccentric inserts to steer / roughly orientate the scope across to the "pattern" the Stoeger was throwing.

I then recrowned the barrel for a slight increase in accuracy. This produced around 6 shots in an area of a xmas card from 30 shots fired at 25m.

When the rifle came back from Melbourne the new Stoeger (unused) scope we supplied for them to test came back fully bottomed out on Elevation Drum and fully bottomed out on Left Wind Drum...

We showed the guys in Melbourne how pellets fall thru the barrel after passing thru the initial 50mm of the breach block.

As to my shooting experience.... I purchased my first accurate air rifle in 1978; a new FWB 300SL from Jim Miatt.

As for my FX Gladiator I believe the problem was related to the internal regulator I had fitted when ordered. The rifle would randomly drop 2 consecutive shots with less noticeable muzzle report and lower recoil. Over the past 6 months it hasn't exhibited this peculiarity any more ?
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

OK. If the rifle was under warranty, it is no longer with the recrown. We have a better picture with what you have provided but still need more info.

* Type of pellet and weight in grains that was used for your Xmas card size group
* Chronographed velocity of said pellet over 10 shots, very important.
* Type of scope on the rifle. I'm not sure if Stoeger scopes are actually magnum springer rated. There is no comparison between your FWB 300 and this gun. The former has a moving sled which results in minimal recoil. What were you using if the Stoeger scope was unused?
* Shooting position (benchrested, seated, bipod, military hold etc)
* Has a magnum springer rated scope been put on the rifle?

This could be going one of two ways but more information is required for a more confident diagnosis. There are several scope killers on the market and you have one of them. I have seen mutiple scopes die on one rifle in the space of less than a dozen shots. Most of the big name brands are NOT rated for the double recoil of a springer.

The stated muzzle velocity in the marketing info is not beneficial to accuracy and consistency in either 177 or 22.

Stupid questions coming up here.

When was the bore last cleaned and how was it done?

Has the rifle been dry fired or fired when the barrel wasn't in shooting position. And, is the barrel visibly bent.

How does it shoot with the open sights? Lets take the scope variable out of this equation and isolate the rifle. If you havent shot it scopeless, use the baracudas and shoot five groups of 5 at 15m.

I'm not trying to be difficult but I'm trying to help you in diagnosing the problem.
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

palm grove 888 wrote:
We showed the guys in Melbourne how pellets fall thru the barrel after passing thru the initial 50mm of the breach block.
I'ld be looking at this a bit more.
Perhaps slug the barrel or something to measure it or find the loose spots. Others know more about measuring these things and can advise how.

Bruce
fenring

Post by fenring »

There are .22 barrel size variations but no .22 barrel should be so loose for any .22 pellet to fall 2" into the barrel. That alone is very, very bad for the rifle and the piston will likely be slamming the end of the compression cylinder.

The old British 5.6mm barrels like on the old BSA's would let a 5.5mm RWS fall about 5mm into the breech.
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

I've had a couple of batches of a certain type of pellet labeled 5.55 mm that have dropped straight out of the HW97K barrel. The ratio was 1:7 duds. Returned all 10 tins and got a credit.

There are some lesser known brands that are notorius for undersizing. I have a tin of N wadcutter. Every pellet that i have tested so far have just dropped out on an Anschutz 10m rifle. :(
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Geoff
I can vouch for Steves ability and the way they have persevered with this air rifle. I think the response from Beretta was poor to say the least and will be following the progress with interest
Cheers
Gary
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Hi gaz,
I'm not questioning Steve's ability. Just covering all the bases. Difficult to diagnose without all the info.
Cheers Geoffrey
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Are you on AHN? Beretta is a sponsor I believe and one of the mangers is a member Duggaboybuff if I recall the spelling
Druid66
Favourite Cartridge: .20 Cal

Post by Druid66 »

Did anyone check if the stock screws were tight?
palm grove 888

Post by palm grove 888 »

Dear lover of Oak Trees....
There are areas in the barrel which you can not feel any contact with any pellet of any diameter you wish to push thru using a 1/8" brass rod. Then there is an area of roughness and just in front of the breach area a tight almost "kink" in the bore.......!

Its just cheap junk..... crap at best describes this barrel let alone the trigger which was like dragging 2 concrete besser blocks past each other with the same letoff weight.
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

The two areas I was going to touch on were excessive power causing pellet to spiral and their PITA non adjustable (as far as i know) gas rams.

If pete72 hasn't sold his Weihrauch HW77K 0.22 and your mate still wants a good air rifle, PM pete. There's also another one usedguns for $650 in 177. I helped the guy tune the latter. Smooth, no twang and shooting about 13.5 fpe.

My apologies if I offended with my matter a fact approach.

Geoff

PS I would still attempt a warranty claim as it wasn't fit for purpose. And as far a I understand, the distributor doesn't have an Airgunsmith in Mdlbourne.
fenring

Post by fenring »

palm grove 888 wrote:

Its just cheap junk.....
That's probably the root of the problem....