Polymags "Shorts" in .22 cal tested this morning.

Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

Polymags "Shorts" in .22 cal tested this morning.

Post by Yrrah »

The new Polymag "Shorts" ahve been made to fit in magazine repeating rifles without hang-ups.

I only have one repeater. The Excalibre has a great barrel. It was the second to shoot sub inch at 100 yards, after Chris Thomas in Victoria back in 2002 with a Rapier, and has shot more than 70 such groups over the last 12+ years.
Because of their excessive length I have only been able to single-load the original style .22 Predators in the Excalibre to date.

First, and so far only, group with the new .22 Polymag "Shorts". First and only one group is generally not the best or worst that you will get but generally representative under prevailing conditions).
These "shorts" cycled perfectly from the old rotary mag in the Excalibre and gave this group.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/ ... l2kt9i.jpg

Knowing the Excalibre's field performance I am quite excited to get back to the farm and cull some bunnies and see how these Predator "Shorts" perform at longer ranges.
They look very much like the wonderful .25 Polymags, that shoot so well from my FX Elite .25.

They have the same profile as the .177 "Shorts" I tested this last week:
Top group 5 shots: (Bottom group are Metalmags). RAW TM 1000 .177 rifle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/ ... nh7diz.jpg

Excalibre: It's a classic style 28 fpe sporter. Two starlings at 60 yards:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/ ... ydtree.jpg

Below is a typical shot string from this UNREGULATED rifle with a 203 cc reservoir. Most shots under 10 fps ES in this 30 shot string. This is 15 year old technology from FX. How many current unregulated rifles can do this at that power level from 200 ccs air 180 Bar to 140 bar? Easy to pump up in the field too!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/ ... rch200.jpg
Best wishes for Easter ... Kind regards, Yrrah .
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Re: Polymags "Shorts" in .22 cal tested this morning.

Post by curan »

Hi Harry,

That final shot string puzzles me. I didn't think that consistancy would have been possible without a regulator.

What are your thoughts on how it is achieved without a regulator in the system?

cheers, curan
Havoc
Favourite Cartridge: 22 magnum

Post by Havoc »

Yrrah, where did you buy the "shorts" version?
I would like to try some in my hatsan at44.
I usually use JSB 16 grain at 900 fps and accuracy for a "cheap" combo is excellent but a little more stopping power on rabbits would be good!
Thanks, Neil
Havoc
Favourite Cartridge: 22 magnum

Post by Havoc »

Anyone know where to buy these, I'm keen to try them!
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

curan wrote:Hi Harry,

That final shot string puzzles me. I didn't think that consistancy would have been possible without a regulator.

What are your thoughts on how it is achieved without a regulator in the system?

cheers, curan
Curan, the string is taken from the sweet zone of the rifle's performance.
It was accomplished, from that relatively modest reservoir volume, by careful matching of the hammer strike momentum spring adjustment) with the manipulation of the transfer port restriction (interference screw).
I had the air use -to -power efficiency at its very best and was getting figures at and below 10 bar-cc/fpe.
That was a large part of the long range accuracy of the Excalibre in that the velocity consistency didn't cause much vertical POI change to 100 yards. ... Hope you are keeping well. Best regards, Harry.
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

Havoc wrote:Yrrah, where did you buy the "shorts" version?
I would like to try some in my hatsan at44.
I usually use JSB 16 grain at 900 fps and accuracy for a "cheap" combo is excellent but a little more stopping power on rabbits would be good!
Thanks, Neil
Sorry Neil, I don't get back here often enough.
The "shorts" were sent to me for testing by the USA importer of JSB pellets.
If you want a supply contact Bruce Quick at Potter Firearms in Shepparton Vic, not the QLD shop, and ask if he will place an order with JSB CZ. You can tell him I suggested you make contact.
As you know the Predator/ Polymags are expensive because there is so much production cost with shuffling the basic pellets back and forth from Czech Republic to Hungary and back getting their polymer tips inserted etc. Bruce may get a small lot in for you and others. They are a hunting pellet so most would not shoot them away at targets; but from my rifles they are almost match accuracy to 50 yards.
Best wishes, Harry.
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

Hi Harry,
When I spoke to Bruce about 4 months ago chasing 4.53 Exacts he said minimum order would have to be 200 tins.

Might be easier just to fill out a B709A and get it from the US or the UK.

Geoff