Setting BSA Hornet for FT

grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Setting BSA Hornet for FT

Post by grmkc »

I bought this single shot BSA Hornet, otherwise known as the Sting, around 6 - 8 months ago with the intention of setting it up as an FT comp rifle. We had some teething problems with leaks, etc but with patience it was sorted. Matt975 and I designed the adjustable cone air stripper and I did the cosmetics.

Then we had the exhaustive pellet testing process to determine the best pellet for the rifle. Tested over 15 different varieties and wouldn't you know it, it likes stuff we can't get locally. So after doing the B709a and waiting, the Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums (10.5 grain) arrived.

Set out yesterday with a cleaned barrel and a tin of these babies to shoot 25 m. Started with some 20 odd shots to lead up the clean bore, sighted in the scope and then the 5 shot group. No complaints from me!
The Sting
The Sting
CPUM 10.5 g @ 25m
CPUM 10.5 g @ 25m
Last edited by grmkc on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Setting BSA Hornet for FT

Post by Camel »

Geez, there are some flash looking air guns out there, and by the looks of your target, shoot very well. :D
mattw975
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by mattw975 »

Looking good Geoff
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Camel wrote:Geez, there are some flash looking air guns out there, and by the looks of your target, shoot very well. :D
She's a plain Jane compared to some of the others out there. It's how she shoots that counts. :D
Havoc
Favourite Cartridge: 22 magnum

Post by Havoc »

Might have to borrow my son's hatsan at44 single shot 177 if we get this FT thing happening.
Plain yes.....accurate?.....hell yes!
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Hi grmkc,

My hornet loves the JSB Exact Heavy pellets (10.3gn), although I have yet to try them with a stripper. I haven't tried a 25m group, but I can get 5 into 1" at 50m with the JSB and still conditions. Any better than that is exceeding my capabilities I reckon, and probably not the rifles!

The JSBs are also sometimes marketted as Cometta, if that helps to find them.........

If you want to try before you buy, send me a pm with your postal and I will mail you a couple of dozen............

I reckon you are going to love the Beesa, although the forward cocking button gets a bit annoying until you just get used to it.......

cheers, curan
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Thanks Curan.

I've tried nearly all the respectable pellets including Falcons and JSBs Exact (4.53 mm) & JSB Heavy. Finding pellets isn't hard as I have over 25 varieties in the safe. The Heavies were pretty ordinary out of mine. She settled on Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums 10.5 grain. Took her to the club last night for a 25m shoot and managed a 1/4" group with 15 pellets. i think she might like the CPUMs. :wink:

I actually love the Beesa and the MMC cocking mechanism, especially for FT. It helps me get into a rhythm before I take the shots. Helps with the Mojo. I must agree that it's a pain when you shoot off the bench though.

Geoff
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

grmkc wrote:Thanks Curan.

I've tried nearly all the respectable pellets including Falcons and JSBs Exact (4.53 mm) & JSB Heavy. Finding pellets isn't hard as I have over 25 varieties in the safe. The Heavies were pretty ordinary out of mine. She settled on Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums 10.5 grain. Took her to the club last night for a 25m shoot and managed a 1/4" group with 15 pellets. i think she might like the CPUMs. :wink:

I actually love the Beesa and the MMC cocking mechanism, especially for FT. It helps me get into a rhythm before I take the shots. Helps with the Mojo. I must agree that it's a pain when you shoot off the bench though.

Geoff
No worries.

Sounds like I may have to give the CPUMs a try one day. I have quite a few JSBs to get through first though! :D
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Bugger it, I would post some to you but as I understand it, SA Law don't allow pellets to go by post; in or out. yep, it's the only state with that special ruling.

The only problem will be getting hold of a supply if your Hornet likes them like Sting does. I had to bring them in myself from the US with a B709A. The Importer only brings in Crosman Wadcutters and Points. Why??? You ask?? I think it's a case of them believing their own BS about hunting pellets.

Some of these people don't deserve to have the agencies. Have a look at this year's A&P (Weihrauch importers) catalogue. A Diana side lever (52/54) on the cover of the catalogue. If Hans Weihrauch only knew.