Predator .177 Shorts and Metalmags test groups.

Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

Predator .177 Shorts and Metalmags test groups.

Post by Yrrah »

A rainy city day. Not my favourite. Got damp putting the target out. But still exciting to see the results from these miniature girly "hunting" pellets.
Two 25 yd groups shot sitting on floor with rifle on a chair cushion.

Top group 5 shots with the Predator "Shorts" which are made to fit most magazine repeaters 8.02 gr wt.
Bottom group 5 shots Predator .177 Metalmags with the metal tips 8.5 gr wt.

That's "Match" accuracy ctc 3-4 mm (say 0.14") in light rain but calm air.

The Shorts stack from the Yrrah Roll Test. Shows excellent consistency of both skirts and heads. About as good as I've seen straight from the tin; similar to the .25 Polymags which they closely resemble in miniature.

RAW TM1000 rifle, LW barrel shooting at 17 fpe! 975 fps and 949 fps - too fast - but will see how they do at Easter when we are at the farm and can shoot out to longer ranges. Under 15 fpe is my choice for such light pellets.
Who else has played with these? ................ I look forward to shooting some rabbits with these and I'll bet they will explode Myna birds. ............ Kind regards, Harry.
Chrispy
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 221 Furball

Re: Predator .177 Shorts and Metalmags test groups.

Post by Chrispy »

Head shot a pigeon with them recently, he did not enjoy the experience!

I have not used metalmags, but I have used the Gamo version. Very nonplussed.

But there nothing better than shooting stuff, trigger time is the best.

Chrispy
Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

Post by Yrrah »

I won't use Gamo; they copied even the adv. blurb and then being big, prolonged court cases for over three years before a consolation settlement, as I heard it. Almost sent Predator Intern broke. Not cricket in my books. Gamo is actually now owned by an American venture capitalist, along with BSA.
Looks like H&N are now in the act. ... Kind regards, Harry.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Yrrah wrote:I won't use Gamo; they copied even the adv. blurb and then being big, prolonged court cases for over three years before a consolation settlement, as I heard it. Almost sent Predator Intern broke. Not cricket in my books. Gamo is actually now owned by an American venture capitalist, along with BSA.
Looks like H&N are now in the act. ... Kind regards, Harry.
The "greed is good" brigade has a lot to answer for at times. I hope they don't finish off BSA....
Stonechucker
Favourite Cartridge: .177

Post by Stonechucker »

I have not used the short version, but the std Polymags are one of my favourite pellets for pest birds. They shoot very accurately out of my HW97, its only a couple of clicks on the scope from the H&N FTT's I normally use, so no problem swapping between the pair.

The skirts are very soft and any sign of damage my groups open up, so I inspect my pellets carefully. They do look pretty cool too 8)

They kill very well :twisted: